kosi (if fit), dal santo, milne must play

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

kosi (if fit), dal santo, milne must play

all three should be played IN THE FORWARD LINE where we were simply pathetic last week.

it's one thing giving the kids a run and is very important for our future that we do so.

but for christ's sake don't drop potential match-winners such as milne or dal.

we scraped over the line with a bit of luck against fremantle but with the above players in the margin could easily have been five goals.

i don't like the scapegoating attitude that seems to be prevailing down there.

first (possibly with justification) it was gehrig's fault that we were losing.

now it is dal santo (probably polling pretty well in our best and fairest) and milne (who has won us two or possibly three matches this season).

seriously, give dal some time on a forward flank this week and see if he can't improve a forward structure that hasn't been able to put scores on the board since 2006.

8.8 (56) isn't going to beat too many sides. fevola might kick that himself next week.

we need to find a spark somewhere in the forward line and dropping guys who are proven goal-kickers like milne is not helping
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 25 Jun 2008 1:32am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i agree, except i would still play Dal in the midfield for alot of the game, and maybe rotate him thru the half forward line

but 1 things for sure, we can't go into another game with the disfunctional forward setup we had against Freo

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Koschitzke maybe, his form hasn't been great even prior to injury, but Milne should definitely come into the side, hopefully better for the run in the twos.

spert
Saintsational Legend

There's no certainty that we would have kicked any more last week with Milne, NDS or Kozi in, as they haven't really done much at all in the forward line considering their potential to kick goals and the poor performance of the forward line all season. I reckon Birss has a better chance of consistantly kicking goals than Milne or NDS.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:There's no certainty that we would have kicked any more last week with Milne, NDS or Kozi in, as they haven't really done much at all in the forward line considering their potential to kick goals and the poor performance of the forward line all season. I reckon Birss has a better chance of consistantly kicking goals than Milne or NDS.
Milnes our leading goal kicker this year.......

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:Milnes our leading goal kicker this year.
with kosi not far behind him. at least he gives you a physical marking target to kick at, something noticeably absent last week.

as for dal, he's hardly been given a shot forward, rl preferring his playmakers all behind the ball.

perhaps we should start getting a few numbers in front of the ball. it is allowed in football you know. it's not rugby

10joseph10

Re: kosi (if fit), dal santo, milne must play

I'm not to sure about playing Milne, he has had the worst record when we don't play at telstra. Kosi would do a lot to us to stretch there back line. It would be good to see Dal back in the line up. Does anyone no when baker is coming back? i think we are really missing him i saw him the other week but forgot to ask if you do know please replay or send me a message. Thanks

In Kosi out Allen
In Dal out Eddy/ Clint Jones

Sobraz
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote:
spert wrote:There's no certainty that we would have kicked any more last week with Milne, NDS or Kozi in, as they haven't really done much at all in the forward line considering their potential to kick goals and the poor performance of the forward line all season. I reckon Birss has a better chance of consistantly kicking goals than Milne or NDS.
you'd think they watch a different game wouldnt you...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont thing the dropping of milne and Dal was a reaction that they were costing us games .. it was due to the lack of intensity they have shown ,
as for the forward line being usless last week we were experementing with diferant line ups ... one of our biggest critisism is not being able to adapt when our matchups are not working so when we try somthing differant ppl complain because it didnt work very well :roll: seriously some time i wonder if some ppl didnt have somthing to complain about would they complain about the fact they cant complain ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:i dont thing the dropping of milne and Dal was a reaction that they were costing us games .. it was due to the lack of intensity they have shown
i reckon they always give their best but sometimes it comes off and sometimes it doesn't.

in dal santo's case i wonder if we're not expecting too much of him.

he's not chris judd or robert harvey re-incarnated. doesn't have harvs' tank or judd's explosive pace and strength.

it doesn't mean he's not a super player, just that his strengths are in other areas. i think he's a creative and skilled half forward rather than a gut-running onballer.

could be worth 2-3 goals a week to us on a flank and that doesn't take into account his ability to deliver it to the other forwards and to make something out of nothing.

milne is a bit hot and cold, but you tend to get that with small forwards
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 26 Jun 2008 1:52am, edited 2 times in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Milne is norammly crap interstate and shouldn't have played up in Sydney.

Kosi has often been a liability also, so he could do with a week at Casey.

Dal will replace Lenny - seems logical swap to me.

Big Mac struggled against the giant last week and should really show some of his potential against North this week.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Milne is norammly crap interstate and shouldn't have played up in Sydney. Kosi has often been a liability also, so he could do with a week at Casey..
kosi kicked four against the lions on his last interstate trip and also fired in perth last year. milne virtually won us the pre-season cup, which was played interstate.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Lyon stated publicly after the game last week, that we pick teams to win games.

This was slightly odd, considering he just mentioned that we had 3 debutants about 15 times.

But anyway, why would Dal or Milne come straight back in? If we're picking a team to win games, what would have changed from last week in regards to these two by one run in the 2s?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Lyon stated publicly after the game last week, that we pick teams to win games.

This was slightly odd, considering he just mentioned that we had 3 debutants about 15 times.

But anyway, why would Dal or Milne come straight back in? If we're picking a team to win games, what would have changed from last week in regards to these two by one run in the 2s?
i've got no problem with three debutantes. in fact i applaud the decision to play them. just don't drop potential match-winners such as milne and dal santo to get them in.

there are many i'd have up before either of them.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:Lyon stated publicly after the game last week, that we pick teams to win games.

i've got no problem with three debutantes. in fact i applaud the decision to play them. just don't drop potential match-winners such as milne and dal santo to get them in.

I have no issue with debuting players either.

However to mention it enough times to the press to give yourself a pat on the back (and an excuse if you get rolled), then to say after the game that you pick a team to win games - just seems a bit mixed.

If we were picking a team to win that game - surely 3 debutants wouldn't have played ahead of Nick Dal Santo?

Why lie about it?

spert
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
Yeah, I've been watching the games where our forward line has struggled to kick goals...most of this season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:If we were picking a team to win that game - surely 3 debutants wouldn't have played ahead of Nick Dal Santo? Why lie about it?
you're right. it's simply not true in this case. i'm hoping it was just a boot in the backside for the both of them and they'll be back playing good footy for us as soon as this week.

AP Erebus
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I have no issue with debuting players either.

However to mention it enough times to the press to give yourself a pat on the back (and an excuse if you get rolled), then to say after the game that you pick a team to win games - just seems a bit mixed.

If we were picking a team to win that game - surely 3 debutants wouldn't have played ahead of Nick Dal Santo?

Why lie about it?
I'm not convinced. My opinion of NDS has dropped this year due to poor effort and intensity.

I would definitely pick 3 debutantes over a player who isn't have a red hot dip every week, whether he be NDS or Milne or anyone...

Personally I think picking the debutantes actually was picking a team to win, and we did.

milney044
Club Player

Yeah Milne's lousy interstate, who exactly isn't that plays for Saints? I can only name one -Harvs. Milne's a forward pocket he's the cream on the cake. The team as a whole is pathetic interstate. Believe me i'd love it if Milne was the only problem away from home but facts are he's not.

For some reason the team just does not function away from home, maybe they have a fear for flying, i really don't know. The only time i've seen the group gel away from home has been against Adelaide in the Semi and Nab cup and the Semi was thanks to Harvs who led the team.

And for those who love to blame Milney for every loss interstate, take a look at the quarter final against Brissy in 2004. We were on fire that year but take a look at the scores for this game, they're not pretty. An 80 point margin i believe and Milne was sitting in the grand stand.

For once boys can we get it together in a home and away match and actually look like a team interstate? A win this week would be great, take advantage of the fact that neither sides are playing at home and get a win on the board. This is for eight spot.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

AP Erebus wrote:
Personally I think picking the debutantes actually was picking a team to win, and we did.
That's fine - it may be the case.

If it is though, why would Lyon trumpet anything about debutants? If they are genuinely in the best 22 at the club - and ahead of guys like Dal, what's the relevance of it being their first game?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
Yeah, I've been watching the games where our forward line has struggled to kick goals...most of this season.
then why take out our leading goal scorer???

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
spert wrote: Yeah, I've been watching the games where our forward line has struggled to kick goals...most of this season.
then why take out our leading goal scorer???
Because we have had the most goals kicked on us from rebound 50. Tightening up the ship there allowed us to defend a lower total.

To the top
SS Life Member

In regards the "match winner" Milne, what is his record against North Melbourne?

And how does having a permanent Forward Pocket player impact on our mid-field rotations, which is where the game is won?

Last week we improved our mid-field rotations (even allowing for Hayes only playing the first quarter) and that pressure eventually won us the game.

As shown Gram and Goddard going forward are far more potent options than Milne stuck in a back pocket - and against a team where, I would suggest, he has no impact because they sit someone on his tail.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:In regards the "match winner" Milne, what is his record against North Melbourne?

And how does having a permanent Forward Pocket player impact on our mid-field rotations, which is where the game is won?

Last week we improved our mid-field rotations (even allowing for Hayes only playing the first quarter) and that pressure eventually won us the game.

As shown Gram and Goddard going forward are far more potent options than Milne stuck in a back pocket - and against a team where, I would suggest, he has no impact because they sit someone on his tail.
The whole Saints side was more potent. We did kick 10 goals. I can assure you 10 goals will not win this week so unless there a couple of changes where are the extra goals coming from.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Last week we improved our mid-field rotations (even allowing for Hayes only playing the first quarter) and that pressure eventually won us the game.
true, but let's not forget to put a score on the board.

8 goals might beat fremantle at telstra dome, but i think we'll need more against the kangaroos and carlton. milne, sadly, is our leading goal-kicker.