Saintsational needs YOUR help!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

Saintsational needs YOUR help!

Hi!

Damien (known as "saintsational" around the forum) has for many years been paying out of his own pocket for everything to do with Saintsational, but has been unable to devote as much time to the site in recent times. As you may be aware, this has resulted in a slight restructure of the administration.

There are many fees associated with running this website, and with webhosting - the costs associated with having the website hosted - coming up for renewal later this year, Saintsational needs your help to cover them! Money fundraised will also go towards giving the site an overhaul, including a brand new website (we are considering new features like articles, player profiles, etc... later this year I will create a topic where you can make suggestions for new features) and a full upgrade of the forum software. :)

If you have any ideas for ways of fundraising (business sponsorship, personal donations, a Saintsational barbeque, etc), please post in this topic or if you wish you can contact me privately by PM; we are open to all ideas. :)

Thanks,
Saintsational.com administration

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it would be good for all to see what type of money you are looking for?

Being a relative novice to Fan Forums I have absolutely no idea what is involved in keeping a fan Forum (like this excellent one) going?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps a fundraiser?

A social game, or a BBQ or a bowling night and what not, with some $$ to whoever takes over from damien or to contribute to damien.

I missed the last one, must 5 or 6 years ago organised by AwayintheUSA was it?

anyway a suggestion.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Make it a fee to join, it would get rid of the trolls

Before Im 85
bergsone
SS Life Member

May be a amateur boxing night,sure a few on here would not mind evening up,any way i will make a small donation,Details ?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I'd be happy to chip in...if all of us did, it wouldn't take much to cover the hosting of the site, I guess. I'm enjoying seeing what other Sainters fans have got to say (for the most part), so would love to help keep it going.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

saintsrus wrote:Make it a fee to join, it would get rid of the trolls
Sounds like the easiest way to do it.. If the site admin sets up a bank account specifically for Saintsational it'd be simple for members to pay, giving their username as a payment reference. It worked pretty well for the player sponsorship.

What are the costs involved? What's the cost per user/member?

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
saints11
Club Player

BakesFan wrote:
saintsrus wrote:Make it a fee to join, it would get rid of the trolls
Sounds like the easiest way to do it.. If the site admin sets up a bank account specifically for Saintsational it'd be simple for member to pay, giving their username as a reference.

What are the costs involved? What's the cost per user/member?
but you can't just kick us out if we're not willing to pay and if we've already been here for a while

BakesFan
SS Life Member

There's no such thing as a free lunch, my friend... and those of us who have been here the longest should probably pay the most.

There's an idea... How about a free membership, but charge a fee per post (5 cents)?
Last edited by BakesFan on Mon 23 Jun 2008 7:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Personally I don't think it would have to come down to having to pay for memberships, I like the idea of a fundraiser and a paypal account set up for donations...

How about google ads? We would get enough traffic to make a bit of money from them I would have thought.

Also I love the idea of upgrading the website, it sounds fantastic, I would love to help out in any way... Is there any chance of bringing back On The Couch, I can't remember who used to do those threads but they were fantastic...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Shaggy
Club Player

I wouldn't complicate it.

Do your budget and ensure it is more realistic than AF's.

Make a sticky asking for donations and watch the money come in.

DON'T have a fee for joining the site as it will stop most newbies from joining particularly the youngsters.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

a forum game next week with a team who also has a bye? melbourne/richmond/carlton/essendon ..or maybe collingwood and from there all their scummy fans fan go off to the Lexus and watch the swans v pies game.
$5 fee to play and all should be good.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:There's no such thing as a free lunch, my friend... and those of us who have been here the longest should probably pay the most.

There's an idea... How about a free membership, but charge a fee per post (5 cents)?
mmmmmmm may not encourage posters

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

A barbie always sounds good if we can find a generous butcher and a publican who may wish to donate some damaged stock or supply us liquid refreshments at cost that we can then on sell.

Or

I don't know much about how on line stuff works but can we arrange for an on-line auction and if any of us have some St Kilda memorabilia we wish to put up (that we no longer use or have need for) then what those items go for can go into the site. Someone's junk will be treasured by another Sainter so it doesn't necessarily have to be a collector's item.

casey scorp
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:Maybe it would be good for all to see what type of money you are looking for?

Being a relative novice to Fan Forums I have absolutely no idea what is involved in keeping a fan Forum (like this excellent one) going?
Good question - what is the cost that needs to be covered?

esaint66
SS Life Member

Ghost Like wrote:A barbie always sounds good if we can find a generous butcher and a publican who may wish to donate some damaged stock or supply us liquid refreshments at cost that we can then on sell.

Or

I don't know much about how on line stuff works but can we arrange for an on-line auction and if any of us have some St Kilda memorabilia we wish to put up (that we no longer use or have need for) then what those items go for can go into the site. Someone's junk will be treasured by another Sainter so it doesn't necessarily have to be a collector's item.

I think rather than an on line auction maybe we could arrange a meeting in person so we know exactly what we are paying for.
But this may cost us more than it makes us :?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

As mentioned above.....what range of $ are we talking about?

A few hundred...or a few $thousand????

If it is just a few hundred I would be confident that there would be enough of us to chip in pretty quick...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
golden hawk
Club Player

PUNT ROAD END sell car stickers for $5 i think they do t shirts too not sure you could do that as a fund raiser

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I love the stickers idea, however this would take a LOT of effort, would be great if we could get it happening though...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

golden hawk wrote:PUNT ROAD END sell car stickers for $5 i think they do t shirts too not sure you could do that as a fund raiser
atleast three time over the years - or maybe more there has been talk of caps. shirts, stickers etc

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Zippy
Club Player

A few years ago we had a fundraising dinner. BackfromUSA managed to get JOhn Beveridge to come, and they auctioned a couple of signed items. I still have the cap I bought with most of the list from back then's signatures.

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
battye
Saintsational Legend

The cost of transferring, upgrading and building the new site is obviously a one-off thing, with webhosting being the ongoing costs, paid yearly.

To give people an idea of what is needed, I think $2,000-$3,000 would be enough to cover two years of webhosting as well as the upgrade. Ideally, there would be a little excess to cover any unforeseen issues (sometimes you need to purchase extra bandwidth or upgrade to more RAM etc).

To everyone concerned about charging registration fees (or fees per post, which incidentally is unheard of), there is no need to worry. I have always been against compulsory registration fees.

There have been some great ideas so far, thanks for the input! :D

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 4:32am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

i would gladly chip in, whatever way is required.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
wolfpup
Club Player

battye wrote:The cost of transferring, upgrading and building the new site is obviously a one-off thing, with webhosting being the ongoing costs, paid yearly.

To give people an idea of what is needed, I think $2,000-$3,000 would be enough to cover two years of webhosting as well as the upgrade. Ideally, there would be a little excess to cover any unforeseen issues (sometimes you need to purchase extra bandwidth or upgrade to more RAM etc).

To everyone concerned about charging registration fees (or fees per post, which incidentally is unheard of), there is no need to worry. I have always been against compulsory registration fees.

There have been some great ideas so far, thanks for the input! :D

happy to chip in.

i am not sure if this site is hosted in australia but some US companies offer really fantastic deals for web hosting with your own share on a dedicated server.
something like $300-400 US for 2 years with effectively unlimited bandwidth.

with the australian dollar being so strong its worthwhile looking at as an option.

let me know if you need further info.