Ross Lyon Interview

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon Interview

Ross lyon is going to be interviewed on ABC 774 in 10 minutes or at about 1.20 pm....

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
AP Erebus
Club Player

Just heard the interview...

Excellent interview! Showed a bit of passion, said that there are no sacred cows (In reference to if Roo was out of form, would they drop him?)

Talked about Dal Santo and the standards that the club and players have set for themselves. Said Dempster and Schneider would be 100 game players, only 23-24..

Also said that he had actually let himself down by not making the hard decisions earlier, basically said the list will be under scrutiny all season.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

AP Erebus wrote:Just heard the interview...

Excellent interview! Showed a bit of passion, said that there are no sacred cows (In reference to if Roo was out of form, would they drop him?)

Talked about Dal Santo and the standards that the club and players have set for themselves. Said Dempster and Schneider would be 100 game players, only 23-24..

Also said that he had actually let himself down by not making the hard decisions earlier, basically said the list will be under scrutiny all season.
Great to hear!

Might satisfy some of the sooks on here complaining he hasnt been "apologetic" or accepting of his own mistakes enough....if that floats your boat.

“Yeah….nah””
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

He was asked was he satisfied with the win and he said it was about effort , hardness and doing the team things...

We weren't slick with our skills but we can improve,we had 3 debutants and we've got 9 players playing with under 20 games...

He was asked how come it's taken so long to stamp your authority and he said he felt he'd let himself down with integrity in the selection proccess , persisted with guys who haven' done what is required and he's now made some decisions to to play the kids who will give 100% effort 100 % of the time.

He said some players let the team down by not going when it's their turn to go,by not chasing,not covering for their teammates,by not adhering to the team values......

He was asked has any team won before with only 36 inside 50's and he said that its hard to kick a big score when the opposition has roll back wingers and play a 7 or 8 man defence.He said we want more inside 50's,we want to kick a bigger score but it was a very intense game and we ran out of gas,it was an arm wrestle type of game.

I'm paid to win games of footy and what does it matter if the game is not that aesthetically pleasing if we get the result..

He was asked is it method rather than talent and he said talent counts for nothing if your not performing to expectations,we picked a team to win and we did.

He was asked to describe himself as a coach and he said he was a Teacher,he demands 100% effort,i want the players to run quickly with and without the ball,it's not just what i demand,it's what the players demand,they created the team values and i'm going to hold them to those values..

He was asked would you drop Nick Reiwoldt and he said there are no sacred cows,the playing group have made a stand,it is solution based,there is no going back on what i want or what the players want.

I have a responsibility to pick teams that will win anywhere ,anytime for the StKilda Football Club..

He was asked whether he subscribes to the view that he needs to revitalise and refresh the list and he said Yes and he talked about the quality of some of the recycled players he has drafted,which has only cost the club pick 26 effectively,and how the previous regime traded away first round draft picks for players that just didn't work out .

He also spoke about the Rookies that have been promoted and that potentially there was another one in Luke Miles who could be promoted..

He finished off asking the commentators why they keep referring back to Nick Dal Santo,he said when Nick does what is required he will be back....

(that's about as good as i can relate it)

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thanks bobmurray

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
suss
Club Player

It was a great interview with a lot less corporate lingo than usual. He was very honest as Mark McClure and the panel pointed out. Maybe the ABC will podcast it or make it available online becuase it was really pleasing...

He did say an interesting thing about his time spent with Tony Jewell at Richmond. Tony used to talk about removing the 'ifs' from the coaching process. A coach shouldn't need to say 'if the players are switched on' or 'if the players tackle hard' etc. as these things should be a given.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:It was a great interview with a lot less corporate lingo than usual. He was very honest as Mark McClure and the panel pointed out. Maybe the ABC will podcast it or make it available online becuase it was really pleasing...
I have always found he seems fairly honest with answers- or gives them more than they require and this seems to throw reporters who then can't keep up and resort to commenting on his demeanour and style- for instance early on he almost gave them answers before questions were asked..

it's not up on abc yet but there is a Robert Eddy interview http://www.abc.net.au/news/audio/ and scroll down.
AFL Interview: Robert Eddy

ABC Grandstand | Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:29:00 +1000
ABC Grandstand spoke with rookie Robert Eddy after St Kilda defeated Fremantle.

just above BJ interview.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:He was asked was he satisfied with the win and he said it was about effort , hardness and doing the team things...

We weren't slick with our skills but we can improve,we had 3 debutants and we've got 9 players playing with under 20 games...

He was asked how come it's taken so long to stamp your authority and he said he felt he'd let himself down with integrity in the selection proccess , persisted with guys who haven' done what is required and he's now made some decisions to to play the kids who will give 100% effort 100 % of the time.

He said some players let the team down by not going when it's their turn to go,by not chasing,not covering for their teammates,by not adhering to the team values......

He was asked has any team won before with only 36 inside 50's and he said that its hard to kick a big score when the opposition has roll back wingers and play a 7 or 8 man defence.He said we want more inside 50's,we want to kick a bigger score but it was a very intense game and we ran out of gas,it was an arm wrestle type of game.

I'm paid to win games of footy and what does it matter if the game is not that aesthetically pleasing if we get the result..

He was asked is it method rather than talent and he said talent counts for nothing if your not performing to expectations,we picked a team to win and we did.

He was asked to describe himself as a coach and he said he was a Teacher,he demands 100% effort,i want the players to run quickly with and without the ball,it's not just what i demand,it's what the players demand,they created the team values and i'm going to hold them to those values..

He was asked would you drop Nick Reiwoldt and he said there are no sacred cows,the playing group have made a stand,it is solution based,there is no going back on what i want or what the players want.

I have a responsibility to pick teams that will win anywhere ,anytime for the StKilda Football Club..

He was asked whether he subscribes to the view that he needs to revitalise and refresh the list and he said Yes and he talked about the quality of some of the recycled players he has drafted,which has only cost the club pick 26 effectively,and how the previous regime traded away first round draft picks for players that just didn't work out .

He also spoke about the Rookies that have been promoted and that potentially there was another one in Luke Miles who could be promoted..

He finished off asking the commentators why they keep referring back to Nick Dal Santo,he said when Nick does what is required he will be back....

(that's about as good as i can relate it)

Whats there not to love and admire about that .This guys no idiot like a lot think, he'll be fine

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

more direct link http://blogs.abc.net.au/grandstand/2008 ... -ross.html

ABC interview is up

Interview: Ross Lyon
St Kilda coach Ross Lyon told Grandstand the decision to drop Nick Dal Santo and Stephen Milne was based on his belief that he had previously failed himself with team selections.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You can listen to Lyon's interview with Grandstand's Gerard Whateley and Mark Maclure, and The Age's Jake Niall below:

http://blogs.abc.net.au/grandstand/afl/
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 22 Jun 2008 5:38pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It's a good interview. I think like anything he is learning and learning how to deal with the media. By his own admission he didn't perform that well in front of the media last year but I think he's starting to get the hang of it now.

I like how he tells a journo he feels he's answered the question. It's a great way to negate a journo's attempt to repeatedly ask the same question a different way or at least make it sound like a different question to get a slip up.

Boppa
Club Player

Pretty much sums up what most of us have been talking about

Like it or not Boppa speaks the truth
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Boppa wrote:
Pretty much sums up what most of us have been talking about
spot on Boppa.

He'll be fine - give him a chance to shape this list and along the way a little of Ross Lyons blue collar work ethic (which IMO has long been missing at a club like us which at times is about flashy players) may just rub off...

Interesting to hear Brereton before the game the other night commenting that St Kilda MUST get their defensive aspects to their game right (tackles, chase,pressure etc) before worrying bout kicking big scores etc and its why he thought Lyons dropping of Milne (who he said had no defensive skills at all) and Dal was absolutely warranted. IMO what we saw from Hayes, Harvs and Ball exemplifies what Lyon wants - gut running, hard tackling and continuous pressure.

Brereton went on to say look at the best Premiership sides - built round defensive pressure.

Lyon still needs to fix our fwd line but to me first up it appears what he wants is some defensive pressure.

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

TSI's Gerard Whateley, Samantha Lane and Jarrod Molloy touched on the issue of a twilight grand final, while also discussing suggested changes to the Brownlow Medal and the decision of St Kilda coach Ross Lyon to get tough at the selection table.

You can download or listen below to the latest edition of the TSI podcast, which also included a clarification about the existence and meaning of the word "experiential".

Click here to subscribe to the TSI poadcast.
http://blogs.abc.net.au/grandstand/afl/

http://blogs.abc.net.au/grandstand/2008 ... t-r-1.html
last 5 minutes so drag along to there.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Saints43
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:Whats there not to love and admire about that .This guys no idiot like a lot think, he'll be fine
He talks a good game

I want 100% effort 100% of the time.

Should I be the coach?

benengel14
Club Player

Thanks bob murray, great work with the summary/transcript.