Kosi and Reiwoldt.....must play higher!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Kosi and Reiwoldt.....must play higher!

Both are at there best in motion......

Kosi should posibly play in the true CHF position allowing him to move 360 degrees and be in continual motion - he is slow of the mark.
He should also be the longer target coming out of defense....when he runs out of petrol, he could rest in the FP......he could also do the Fwd line Rucking allowin King/Gards to sit a kick behind...

Riewoldt could play anywhere from FF to the Centre line, depending on how match-ups transpire.....I would start Nick on the Wing and use his motor to advantage, and work him all over the ground......rest him fwd.....and Rotate him with Kosi at CHF when needed...

Thing is.....I would not have them within 60m of each other at any one time......in a perfect world, they should be kicking it to each other.....

So - Who at FF....

Allen - Maybe a bit slow, and not strong enough at this stage
McEvoy - as above
Ferguson - A bit small....
Gehrig - On the LTI and has lost mobility....and his hands are no longer sure..but is a reliable goalkicker
Goddard - Better to have him kicking it to fwds
C.Gardner - Is a better HFF

Fergus Watts - Delisted
Barry Brooks - Delisted

The player would have to be......A good grab, A good kick, Quick off the mark...ability to move up the ground whilst Kosi or Nick are resting...

IMO - Allen.

karnak
Club Player

You're on the right track here, except Fergy isn't too small.

How big was Heatly?

We do not want another tall sitting at fullforward. Why? because they lack defensive pressure. We want Fergy, he fits the bill.

Good mark, quick off the mark, very strong hands leads well and can tackle. Runs his guts out and will only get better.

We are still rapped up having wet dreams about Plugger, we think we need another one (will never happen he was amazing) however; we were much more dynamic with Heatly at the mantle.

Anyway, that is my two bobs worth. I wanna see pressure pressure pressure in the fwd 50. Which is why Roo cannot be based there.

Roo can't tackle, he is too slow and isn't brilliant below his knees (I hate to say it guys) still easily our best player but if he doesn't take the grab I never have confidence that we'll come out of the situation with the ball.

I lay the blame on our structure etc squarely there. He comes charging at the ball (like fwds do) we miss him and then it goes to ground and comes straight out.

How about he plays on the wing running up and down the ground actually taking marks and playing on quickly? much easier to mark the ball when you're not running full pelt at it, but running alongside it, finding space in the square etc.

Ross Lyon, wake up and smell the roses. Get ROO out of the fwd line. He is a wingman ffs.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

karnak wrote:You're on the right track here, except Fergy isn't too small.

How big was Heatly?

We do not want another tall sitting at fullforward. Why? because they lack defensive pressure. We want Fergy, he fits the bill.

Good mark, quick off the mark, very strong hands leads well and can tackle. Runs his guts out and will only get better.

We are still rapped up having wet dreams about Plugger, we think we need another one (will never happen he was amazing) however; we were much more dynamic with Heatly at the mantle.

Anyway, that is my two bobs worth. I wanna see pressure pressure pressure in the fwd 50. Which is why Roo cannot be based there.

Roo can't tackle, he is too slow and isn't brilliant below his knees (I hate to say it guys) still easily our best player but if he doesn't take the grab I never have confidence that we'll come out of the situation with the ball.

I lay the blame on our structure etc squarely there. He comes charging at the ball (like fwds do) we miss him and then it goes to ground and comes straight out.

How about he plays on the wing running up and down the ground actually taking marks and playing on quickly? much easier to mark the ball when you're not running full pelt at it, but running alongside it, finding space in the square etc.

Ross Lyon, wake up and smell the roses. Get ROO out of the fwd line. He is a wingman ffs.
Yep he is a wingman. Won 4 B&F playing as a forward and 2 coaches have played him there but he is a wingman. Not good enough at ground level for a wingman and doesnt have the pace for that position.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't have the pace....

I watches him carve up the rest of the team in sprints at a trainining session......he is extremeley quick, which is why he takes marks on the lead constantly.

Pace and endurance are his strengths.......along with marking, which will more than make up for any weakness he has at ground level.....

From an opposition point of view.....who would you match up on Riewoldt if he had the freedom of the whole ground????

Cornes, Goodes, Embley??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Doesn't have the pace....

I watches him carve up the rest of the team in sprints at a trainining session......he is extremeley quick, which is why he takes marks on the lead constantly.

Pace and endurance are his strengths.......along with marking, which will more than make up for any weakness he has at ground level.....

From an opposition point of view.....who would you match up on Riewoldt if he had the freedom of the whole ground????

Cornes, Goodes, Embley??
Marking a ball is basically irrelevent on the wing as you are on your own most times when marking but you need to be good around your legs because the ball is on the ground alot of times. Also need quick hands in packs and I havent really seen him do that. If Rooy had confidence in his kicking FF is the ideal spot for him as he is good on a lead which a FF must be. I might not know his best position but 2 coaches seem to and 4 B&F would indicate the forward line is his best position.

Apu
Club Player

Re: Kosi and Reiwoldt.....must play higher!

BigMart wrote:Both are at there best in motion......
Good post, I reckon its worth a go!!!!
I do recall that Riewoldt was put onto the wing a number of times and fared allright. Also Kosi's run of 4 super games in a row a couple of seasons ago occured when he played more as a floating player rather than a true full forward.

I did not say Wing (a position long gone) I said midfield, starting on the wing...

He HAS NOT got confidence in his kicking right now......has rarely played FF....(Fraser)....and has played a Roaming CHF to win his B&F's...he has used his motor to burn off opponents...

Ross has him sitting deep inside 50 playiing as a true Forward and taking contested marks.....he has gone from a conjute to goal (as well as kicking them) to the main avenue - which is not utilising his running power....he will still take marks....but not get as much footy, and will be easier to stop by using a stronger opponent or double teaming him.......mobilising him makes this more difficult...

releasing him to the middle for periods would essentually free him to run around....ala....Kouta, Goodes, Richo, Cornes, Hird, Embley.....players of 190+ ....who dominated games around the ground...

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Kosi and Reiwoldt.....must play higher!

BigMart wrote:Allen - Maybe a bit slow, and not strong enough at this stage
McEvoy - as above
Ferguson - A bit small....
Gehrig - On the LTI and has lost mobility....and his hands are no longer sure..but is a reliable goalkicker
Goddard - Better to have him kicking it to fwds
C.Gardner - Is a better HFF
gilbert?

a left-field suggestion, but he has some of the attributes needed.

tall, quick, good hands. an awkward kick, but has been effective when shooting for goal.

extremely mobile for a guy of his size and no mug when it hits the deck.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

it always amazes me when ppl knock RL for getting the team to play "sydney" style are the same ppl who want us to make Roo into an adam Goodes style player :roll: the mind boggles

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Is Goodes style of play indicative of the way Sydney play.....he is a free wheeling tall runner, who plays all over the ground, but runs one way (forward)....rarely makes a tackle, and has NO defensive side.

:roll:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I have always preferred Kosi at CHF to FF...for a number of reasons that I have posted before....with the fact that he is much better in motion as you say.

But another is that he simply struggles in the one on one stuff that a FF needs to do againsta good FB.

Roo however I would base at FF..but witha licence to roam..

I do not think he has the ball handling skills fora midfield role....nor the running skills thata mid needs.

Having a fantastic engine is not enough to bea good midfielder. If it was...Blake would bea good mid...and he is not.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Is Goodes style of play indicative of the way Sydney play.....he is a free wheeling tall runner, who plays all over the ground, but runs one way (forward)....rarely makes a tackle, and has NO defensive side.

:roll:
Id suggest hes critical to their side as its about balance......they cant all be "Kirks"....

“Yeah….nah””
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Niether can WE!

my les foote
Club Player

I read the title and thought this was about them playing on drugs like the gun forward in 'The Club'

Might be worth a try.

Win it for HIM!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:I read the title and thought this was about them playing on drugs like the gun forward in 'The Club'.
Getting a few beers into Roo before a game might just be the formula to success, settle his nerves kicking at goal.

At the very least, make sure he's still not getting onto the No-Doz.