A game plan for 4 qtrs....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

A game plan for 4 qtrs....

Whether you want the coach sacked or the players scorned the fact remains we've not played one 4 qtr game this season and that has been a huge shock to all.

I listened to David Hill tonight being quizzed on SEN as to the Bombers supposedly super attacking game plan (opposite criticism to us in that many PERCEIVE their game plan to be all attack no defence). He responded by saying that what people have seen thus far IS NOT the Bombers game plan as the Essendon players had failed to execute Knights game for a full 4 qtrs yet (did sound familiar - the cynics will cite more player/coach conspiracy) and that was what they were focussing on for the rest of the year.

In fact he went on and said consistency for 4 qtrs would only come when they got each team zone (defence,mids, fwds etc) performing their roles within Knights new game plan. He talked about the game plan as not so much having to 'learn' it but the importance of having the discipline to sustain it - aka Geelong.

I know we are at a different stage to the Bombers but the underlying premise struck me as remarkably similar. IMO we HAVE played great football this year. Problem is we have played it for 30 mins here and 20 mins there and IMO we just dont yet have the inate discipline required to stick to our structures and roles for the full distance.

Why? dont know. Whose to blame? care less. Just want a solution cause like so many it felt much better to be a contender sides feared as opposed to a toothless old man while everyone pumps up Buddy...

Hill went on to say that when they have put it together they looked good.....to me thats also true for us - question is how do you fast track consistency?

“Yeah….nah””
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: A game plan for 4 qtrs....

Teflon wrote: Hill went on to say that when they have put it together they looked good.....to me thats also true for us - question is how do you fast track consistency?
That's my issue - we don't actually look good when we do play to this elusive game plan.

We look Ok. Not good.

Even Essendon look very good when they play well and can execute their game plan.

We don't.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Teflon wrote: Hill went on to say that when they have put it together they looked good.....to me thats also true for us - question is how do you fast track consistency?
That's my issue - we don't actually look good when we do play to this elusive game plan.

We look Ok. Not good.

Even Essendon look very good when they play well and can execute their game plan.

We don't.
Roger, are you suggesting that the firast qtr of Rnd 3 against WB wasn't our gameplan being executed?
If not, then we certainly looked great.

Ditto for the first qtr against the Swans,
Ditto for the first qtr against Geelong
Ditto for times against Essendon and Carlton
Last edited by Mr Magic on Fri 13 Jun 2008 9:31am, edited 1 time in total.

JeffDunne

We look good when players forget instructions and revert to their natural intstincts.

One thing I'll give Ross, he's good at getting them back into line.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

We look Ok. Not good.

We don't.
Roger, are you suggesting that the firast qtr of Rnd 3 against WB wasn't our gameplan being executed?

Rd3 was the only time we've looked 'good/great'.

We moved the ball well, fluently and efficiently. The other times, although we've led at Q time, haven't been that good.

The first quarter against the Swans was horrible. Again, like last week, we dominated them completely but couldn't seem to score. When we won the ball, we weren't fluent or efficient. We only led by 20 points.

If that's what we now see as 'great' football and a benchmark - we're rooted.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think Ross Plans well during the week.....

His match-ups are good early in games....we start well..

Unfortunately opposition coaches can react and change....Ross cannot go with them....on match day he gets his pants pulled down, he is reactionary and does not get the ball in the hands of the more efficient players Fwd of the centre....

Reiwoldt and Goddard should spend time in the midfield at different times in a rotation....to give us quality and height around the ground....Reiwoldt can change Fwd.....Goddard change back....

Dal, Joey, X and Harvey Rotate as inside/ outside mids through the HFF aswell (they use the ball well fwd of the centre)

Ball, Hayes, Birss and Armo Rotate as inside mid as clearance players and play at HF as defensive.

Fisher and Gram to give punch of HB.....but need to lower their vision more....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

We look Ok. Not good.

We don't.

We moved the ball well, fluently and efficiently. The other times, although we've led at Q time, haven't been that good.

The first quarter against the Swans was horrible. Again, like last week, we dominated them completely but couldn't seem to score. When we won the ball, we weren't fluent or efficient. We only led by 20 points.

What's that old saying?
'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'

Some think that Q1 Rnd 3 was an aberration, I like to think that it was a reflection of our true gameplan executed properly.

Others examples I have mentioned previously are, I believe, a reflection of our 'true gameplan' executed at 80-90% (if we'd kicked the goals we had opportunities to kick then that percentage would have been greater).

The difference between your view and mine is that I am looking for positives and you appear to be looking for negatives.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
The difference between your view and mine is that I am looking for positives and you appear to be looking for negatives.
Wrong. The difference between you and me is that I'm looking for anything - I'm commenting on what I'm seeing, and what I've seen for the past 18 months.

At least you concede your views are 'looking' for positives, which suggests they are the true definition of 'rose coloured glasses'.

My views are purely based on what I've seen, with no bias whatsoever.

At least it puts your future posts in context.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I think Ross Plans well during the week.....

Unfortunately opposition coaches can react and change....Ross cannot go with them
....on match day he gets his pants pulled down, he is reactionary and does not get the ball in the hands of the more efficient players Fwd of the centre....

Reiwoldt and Goddard should spend time in the midfield at different times in a rotation....to give us quality and height around the ground....Reiwoldt can change Fwd.....Goddard change back....

Dal, Joey, X and Harvey Rotate as inside/ outside mids through the HFF aswell (they use the ball well fwd of the centre)

Ball, Hayes, Birss and Armo Rotate as inside mid as clearance players and play at HF as defensive.

Lyon doesn't have a remote control on them all in the coaches box it's the players that choke and having their pants pulled down!!!!!!
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Fri 13 Jun 2008 10:18am, edited 2 times in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

We look Ok. Not good.

We don't.

What the...!?! :shock: The first quarter against the Swans looked horrible, if you were a Swans supporter!!! It was the most fluid, agressive, exciting quarter of footy I'd seen from the Saints in at least 18 months...we destroyed them. Last week, the first quarter would have been equally magnificent, if we'd had some forwards who could kick.

Man...you're getting too bodded down in this negative 'Saints are the worst team in the comp' crap that gets dragged out on this forum thread after thread...so much so, you can't even remember the few times this year we showed why everyone rated us a premiership contender.

We have a great list of fantastic players, nothing wrong with our coach or game plan...WHEN our players decide to play, WHEN our game plan is followed. So, now I've jogged your memory of when it did all fall into place in spectacular fashion, don't forget when the players threw out the game plan, didn't man up, and produced footy like last week's second quarter. Crap. Port have the same problem right now...only difference is no-one wants to trade the Burgone's or sack Chocco.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
What the...!?! :shock: The first quarter against the Swans looked horrible, if you were a Swans supporter!!! It was the most fluid, agressive, exciting quarter of footy I'd seen from the Saints in at least 18 months...we destroyed them.
We kicked 4 goals.

Are you serious?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
degruch wrote:
What the...!?! :shock: The first quarter against the Swans looked horrible, if you were a Swans supporter!!! It was the most fluid, agressive, exciting quarter of footy I'd seen from the Saints in at least 18 months...we destroyed them.
We kicked 4 goals.

Are you serious?
Well...yeah OK, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself...remove the word fluid. Now do you remember? The Swans kick 1.1, the goal was from a free kick, we totally dominated that quarter, it wasn't pretty, but we were nothing short of awesome.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Half way through the season ,all we have got is a good quarter here or there,a bit of good play here or there,not much to hang your hat on is it.Why we dont get a 4 quarter effort is the frustrating thing, which isup to the coaching staff to fix ,IF its the players then dont play em,regardless who they are,if its the game plan change it .What ever it is hurry up and come up with the solution before its too late

Saints43
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:Lyon doesn't have a remote control on them all in the coaches box it's the players that choke and having their pants pulled down!!!!!!
That's true!!!!! I never thought of that!!!!!

Peter Rhode wasn't using a remote control when Footscray were under performing either!!!!!

He was a rubbish coach.

What's your point?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
We kicked 4 goals.

Are you serious?
Well...yeah OK, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself...remove the word fluid. Now do you remember? The Swans kick 1.1, the goal was from a free kick, we totally dominated that quarter, it wasn't pretty, but we were nothing short of awesome.[/quote]

Nothing short of awesome.

Totally dominated.

Yet led by 20 points.

That is a concern.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
degruch wrote:
We kicked 4 goals.

Are you serious?
Well...yeah OK, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself...remove the word fluid. Now do you remember? The Swans kick 1.1, the goal was from a free kick, we totally dominated that quarter, it wasn't pretty, but we were nothing short of awesome.
Nothing short of awesome.

Totally dominated.

Yet led by 20 points.

That is a concern.[/quote]

You didn't watch the match, obviously.

BTW, 20 points was 1/3 their final score. Dominated.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Wrong. The difference between you and me is that I'm looking for anything - I'm commenting on what I'm seeing, and what I've seen for the past 18 months.

At least you concede your views are 'looking' for positives, which suggests they are the true definition of 'rose coloured glasses'.

My views are purely based on what I've seen, with no bias whatsoever.

At least it puts your future posts in context.

The joke of the day!

Rodgerfox has 'no bias whatsoever'! :D :D :D :D :D

Tell us another one Rodger - maybe 'the cheque is in the mail'?

I'll tell you what Rodger, like you my future posts as well as my past posts wereare/will be always in context.

But another major difference between you and me (and by the look of it quite a number of others) is that I'll actually read and respond to another poster's whole pov rather than the word/sentence/paragraph that suits my 'current game'.

Fair Dinkum, there's not many who would take 'I'm looking for positives' to equate with 'rose coloured glasses'. But not the 'master debater Rodgerfox'.
Never let it be said that he didn't twist, deflect and obfuscate to make his own pov more valid.

A true 'master debater' is Rodgerfox.

I'll save you the bother of responding in your inimitable style and do it for you,

'Mr Magic is a LIAR'

Now that I've joined the list of 'posters who disagree with Rodgerfox and therefore are liars' I look forward to your furhter 'unbiased vitriol' directed at anybody with the temerity to not accept without question your superior intellect in all things.

And maybe if you actually opened your eyes when you are 'looking for anything' you might actually see something other than your own agenda?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:We look good when players forget instructions and revert to their natural intstincts.

I have been screaming this for 12 months. Its almost ALL about playing on instinct, our problem at the moment. Ok, a large part of the problem then.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:We look good when players forget instructions and revert to their natural intstincts.

I have been screaming this for 12 months. Its almost ALL about playing on instinct, our problem at the moment. Ok, a large part of the problem then.
I don't know what it is you boys are smoking....but it's doing you a power of good

#1 Ryder fan
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think Ross Plans well during the week.....

Unfortunately opposition coaches can react and change....Ross cannot go with them....on match day he gets his pants pulled down, he is reactionary and does not get the ball in the hands of the more efficient players Fwd of the centre....

Agree with some of that Marto - particularly getting the ball in the hands of better users fwd of the ball. Its where Jeans not so long ago suggested a Dal Santo should always find himself...

I think the issue is we also dont have that many good users out of defence - Goddard down there gives that stability but he cant be everywhere.

Im also not convinced you 'rest' mids on a HFF for defensive pressure in the modern game...then expect them to go back into the middle at some stage to run their guts out......IMHO your underestimating the importance of rest and rotations that all AFL club use to good effect.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cmon Jeff...just think about what your saying and take your hatred for Ross of for a second - we in rd 3 are 38 pts up on the Dogs and your suggesting the coach told them to stop what they were doing????

hmmmm.......you been having sleep overs at Dodgy's?.....did he show you his worm farm? :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

I find it very hard to believe you're an adult Teffers.

Even a 12 year old would find your 'jokes' immature.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I find it very hard to believe you're an adult Teffers.

Even a 12 year old would find your 'jokes' immature.
I'm 7 and consider myself every bit your equal... :lol:

That aside....I cant work out which is funnier.......my jokes or your posts? :lol: .....I mean big bad Ross telling the players to "stop playing well......your ruining my game plan....."

There's some logic right there Jeffery...... :lol: :lol:

“Yeah….nah””