St. Kilda vs Hawthorn's Foward Set Up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

St. Kilda vs Hawthorn's Foward Set Up

There are many pundits out there that now consider Lance Franklin the AFL's premier forward yet watching some clips of him over the last week it was noticeable that he always seemed to be one out with his opponent and Hawthorn's forward line seemed very open ie: he had loads of space to run into

Compared to our extremely inefficient forward line structure we have two forwards comparable to Franklin and Roughhead in height (Roo and Kosi) yet unlike these two Roo and Kosi always seem to be double teamed and have no room to move

Should we be looking at Hawthorn's forward set up considering our set up is similar - questions asked could include - why their forward line is always open, where do there small forwards position themselves, how Franklin and Roughead are always able to be one out

I know our delivery has been less than adequate however I think a lot could be learnt by watching how Hawthorn manage their forwards

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

email that to RL
and at the bottom put:

P.S....
Pagan
paddock

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Plus.....hawthorn dont emply an 18 man flood when they do get numbers behind the ball

Buddy and at least one other forward stay inside 50 regardless, whereas OUR forwards, all fo them, run the length of the ground and back.

Kinda helps if we do get some run outa defence to have somone to freaking kick it to!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Shaggy
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
Kinda helps if we do get some run outa defence to have somone to freaking kick it to!!
That is such an obvious problem. It is no co-incidence that many of our inside 50 thrusts get cut out because we are out numbered up front.

As for defensive pressure on the forward line ... it is very easy to play keepings off when you have the numbers.

I feel sorry for our forwards

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saint66au wrote: Kinda helps if we do get some run outa defence to have somone to freaking kick it to!!
Right on the money. I am yet to be convinced of the value of having no-one in the forward half of the ground - as I posted earlier in the week, during the Dullbogs game Roo successfully kept a patch of turf on the wing statless. What value that was to our forward thrusts when we created a turnover is questionable...........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saintjake
Club Player

franklin - better then roo
roughead- better then kosi.

anyway, franklin is way more mobile then both kosi and roo.
once it hits the ground
he is like a small foward any way.

kosi and roo lumber around.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: St. Kilda vs Hawthorn's Foward Set Up

Devilhead wrote:There are many pundits out there that now consider Lance Franklin the AFL's premier forward yet watching some clips of him over the last week it was noticeable that he always seemed to be one out with his opponent and Hawthorn's forward line seemed very open ie: he had loads of space to run into

Compared to our extremely inefficient forward line structure we have two forwards comparable to Franklin and Roughhead in height (Roo and Kosi) yet unlike these two Roo and Kosi always seem to be double teamed and have no room to move

Should we be looking at Hawthorn's forward set up considering our set up is similar - questions asked could include - why their forward line is always open, where do there small forwards position themselves, how Franklin and Roughead are always able to be one out

I know our delivery has been less than adequate however I think a lot could be learnt by watching how Hawthorn manage their forwards

we tried to open it up a bit last week and i think that will be the plan from now on.

space for roo and kosi; crumbing opportunities for milne and schneider and a contribution from a medium-sized forward such as ferguson or gilbert.

but when you have 110 fewer disposals than the opposition realistically nothing is going to work unless you have lockett in there having a day out. ... and with due respect to roo and kosi ...

in many respects the 18-man flood is wasted energy. teams win well and regularly without employing one, so i don't know why we persist.

there are other ways to give our forwards space and to clog up the opposition without asking every player to be involved.

i agree that our key forwards shouldn't have to traipe all over telstra dome worrying about their opponent. they should stay put and try to make the opposition pay on the rebound.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Re: St. Kilda vs Hawthorn's Foward Set Up

bigcarl wrote:
Devilhead wrote: in many respects the 18-man flood is wasted energy. teams win well and regularly without employing one, so i don't know why we persist.
Because our coach is not one.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

buddy and roughy are younger they both havent had the injury runs of roo and kosi and at the moment a loving their footy for our boy the year end cant come quick enough .

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/