Something for all Saints players to ponder....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Something for all Saints players to ponder....

"Barks did a lot to promote the place. People underestimated how hard he worked around the club He said to me one day, “You Ballarat blokes take this club for granted,â€

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Trevor Barker: - part of the club

Hell for a while he WAS the club. The only reason we got back on the horse on Monday was to say yeah we got trounced - but how great is Barks.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

lenny.....

kosi???? he seems to really care although he isnt the quickest of souls so noone would really know what is going through his head

maybe the players that grew up supporting the saints???

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
yipper
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:Trevor Barker: - part of the club

Hell for a while he WAS the club. The only reason we got back on the horse on Monday was to say yeah we got trounced - but how great is Barks.
Indeed. You know throughout the 80's - we were shite. But the thing that kept us all coming along to support them through these times was that we could see that we had blokes who bled for us - who were true to the cause. Barks obviously was, so to Burnsy, Joffa, the Eel, Spud, Grant and then Burkey, Loewe, and Winmar. We had blokes giving us there all, and we were still shite. But that ticker that they always showed was there and we loved it. Moorabbin built the passion that is St.Kilda. No team wanted to go there - even though we were a bottom rung team - why?? Cos, it was a cauldron of passion and intimidation from the fans and it was a truly tough environment for even the most accomplished opposition to take on. Loved that passion that Burns spoke about - it was the making of this StKilda supporter.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

BARKERS

Robert Harvey
Lenny Hayes
Luke Ball
Nick Riewoldt
Fraser Gehrig
Justin Koschitzke
Max Hudghton
Steven Baker
Brendan Goddard

A group of blokes desperate to achieve, and desperate to delivery it for the St Kilda club.

I'm not sure the rest play with the same desperation for the club as opposed to their desperation to have a good career.

Subtle difference.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about Kosi and BJ.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:lenny.....

kosi???? he seems to really care although he isnt the quickest of souls so noone would really know what is going through his head

maybe the players that grew up supporting the saints???
I put up a post a couple of months ago asking if players bled for this club and hungered success as much as us supporters do and got some mixed responses . I should have waited and posted it now.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Not sure about Kosi and BJ.
I'm sure both Kosi and BJ bleed for the club.

Unfortunately, Kosi is continually let down when he is actually doing the job. But I don't think at all that his commitment is anything other than red, white and black blood.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational Posted: Wed 11 Jun 2008 11:16am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BARKERS

Robert Harvey
Lenny Hayes
Luke Ball
Nick Riewoldt
Fraser Gehrig
Justin Koschitzke
Max Hudghton
Steven Baker
Brendan Goddard

A group of blokes desperate to achieve, and desperate to delivery it for the St Kilda club.

I'm not sure the rest play with the same desperation for the club as opposed to their desperation to have a good career.

Subtle difference.
You reckon Gehrig bleeds for the club? This is the same guy that readily walked out happy to go to Sweden to pursue love interests and generally looks disinterested when playing.

I'd much more readily say guys like Mini, Birss, Blake bleed for the club.

But Roo above all I've ever seen.
[/quote]

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Yes, Fraser bleeds for the club.

I know him. He does. Simple as that.

However, he also sees the bigger picture. Your life doesn't have to actually be the club also.

He made the right call last year. He shouldn't have come back. (my opinion, not his)

HarveysDeciple

dcstkfc wrote:
You reckon Gehrig bleeds for the club? This is the same guy that readily walked out happy to go to Sweden to pursue love interests and generally looks disinterested when playing.

I'd much more readily say guys like Mini, Birss, Blake bleed for the club.

[/quote]

given some of the injuries he has played with I would say a very emphatic yes.

The mere suggestion Gehrig is ever disinterested is laughable.

In perth a few years ago he had to stick his foot in a bucket of hot water after the end of every term (ke kicked 6 that day). and has played several games with numerous injections.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why do only the good players bleed for the club. Maybe Rix bleeds more than anyone. How the hell would we know.

mick13
Club Player

I reckon Hudghton would the most...

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i reckon sam fisher does.
maxie,
harves.
Lenny,
ball,
birrs, gram
maybe milney at times
bout it

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why do only the good players bleed for the club. Maybe Rix bleeds more than anyone. How the hell would we know.
Desire on the field. Rix could well be up there.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Why do only the good players bleed for the club. Maybe Rix bleeds more than anyone. How the hell would we know.
Well said Plugger. Let's question our supporters? Who out of us truly bleed for the club? No one really knows...why do we try to rip ourselves further apart?

People who question BJ's commitment also amaze me. I don't think I can remember a more frustrated and visibly disappointed player as a result of our losses and inept performances. I personally hope he becomes a captain of St Kilda.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas bleeds for the club....or was that "wants to bleed" the club?

Never could tell after the Russian weight loss thing warped his mind...fancy a cabbage on a cabbage diet.... :shock:

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

Name me a coach since Jeans that did more for the club than GT Teffers?

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Grant Thomas bleeds for the club....or was that "wants to bleed" the club?

Never could tell after the Russian weight loss thing warped his mind...fancy a cabbage on a cabbage diet.... :shock:
It didn't take GT long to pork up again once he'd lost interest in his Russian dieting fad......

How much did he get or is there no judgement at this point.....

Will we pick up a player in the SSP window :?:
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Name me a coach since Jeans that did more for the club than GT Teffers?
Stan Alves got us to a GF.

Did fatboy slim "do that" for us?

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

Stan Alves also spent the better part of two years feeding rumours that Robert Harvey got him sacked.

That after he road on the back of him all the way to a GF.

Alves' coaching performance in '97 ranks up there with the most inept GF performances in living memory.

Of course you'd like Stan. He's a headcase like you.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:
Well said Plugger. Let's question our supporters? Who out of us truly bleed for the club? No one really knows...why do we try to rip ourselves further apart?

People who question BJ's commitment also amaze me. I don't think I can remember a more frustrated and visibly disappointed player as a result of our losses and inept performances. I personally hope he becomes a captain of St Kilda.
Nice points P66 and GL.

I recall reading a piece on Birss when we recruited him - he was a Bulldog but he grew up as a kid worshipping the Saints and Harves. He would be one who would bleed the colours.

Another who had copious amounts put on him (and still does), Mick Frost.

Grew up as a true Saint and was so rapt to come across to us.
Did nothing but always bled our colours and still does. And a really good bloke.

Same as the supporters. I love the club, God I get frustrated a lot and usually vent here on wine-night Sunday (think it may have been Public Holiday Monday this week :oops: )

BJ is one who I love the anger and frustration of - that emotion shows his love for the club I feel.

Max the same.

And as if I have to mention 35.

Enough images in our heads of Max and Harves, on haunches with their heads in their hands..... :cry:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Stan Alves also spent the better part of two years feeding rumours that Robert Harvey got him sacked.

That after he road on the back of him all the way to a GF.

Alves' coaching performance in '97 ranks up there with the most inept GF performances in living memory.

Of course you'd like Stan. He's a headcase like you.
And again...Stan Alves got us to a GF.

Did Grant Thomas achieve that Jeffery?

Yes/No

Not very hard. Save your sad insults for the next virtual board meeting.....they're generally lame... :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

Ok . . . let me get this straight.

Alves got a team to a GF that contained club legends like Harvey, Burke, Loewe, Winmar playing at or near career best form . . . and then put in one of the worst ever coaching performances in a GF I can remember . . . but was good coach because he MADE a GF.

Thomas took a team that was bottom, lacked discipline and had just come off a spoon, rebuilt it through the draft and took them to within a kick of a GF & then successive finals campaigns . . . but he was a crap coach and the list got him there.

I can see the logic in that.

But hey, you think Ross "I draft people out of retirement" Lyon is not only a good coach but a master-list builder.

Go on Teffers, try telling me Ross is bleeding for the club? :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Blake is probably the best example ofa limited player that is a "Barker".

Rix may or may not be....but he is certainly a very good clubman.

I think he is very grateful and appreciative for being a go at the highest level....and gives his all for that reason.

If he stays long enough he may becomea Barker...but at present has also been a Hawk.

Is also a very smart fellow.....if he does "fall" for the club....who knows he may come back in future years..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....