The Puke Move

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

The Puke Move

Just watched Semi-Pro - they practised a move till they puked - Maybe we need to do this with our goal kicking.

Start everyone at 10 mtrs out - kick 10 shots - miss one and start again.
Move to 20 mtrs - kick 10 shots - miss one start again at 10 mtrs
Move to 30 mtrs - kick 10 shots - miss one start again at 10 mtrs
Move to 40 mtrs - kick 10 shots - miss one start again at 10 mtrs.

If we, and the players, knew that they could kick them from 40 out we would rest easier. Also with training starting at 2:45pm it would give us a chance to see the boys after we finish work at 5:00pm

It just needs to be ingrained until they can do it with their eyes closed and the pressure on.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think the cause of Nick's kicking getting worse was that tendonitis in his knee that meant he couldn't kick during training for quite some time.

Surely that's better now, and he can have some practise time "in the nets".

Overall they need some first class kicking coaching, with similar technique analysers as the ones which record your golf swing. Surely they can apply these to kicking a footy.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I heard on 3AW last night that Nick's tendonitis (initially) didn't allow him to do too much goal-kicking practice. Since the Medial Ligament problem in the Richmond game (from which he was supposed to miss 6-8 matches) his ability to practice goal-kicking has been even more affected.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I heard on 3AW last night that Nick's tendonitis (initially) didn't allow him to do too much goal-kicking practice. Since the Medial Ligament problem in the Richmond game (from which he was supposed to miss 6-8 matches) his ability to practice goal-kicking has been even more affected.
So what I wonder is the point in him playing??

It's not like we are going to make the finals.

FFS Lyon let him get better!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:I heard on 3AW last night that Nick's tendonitis (initially) didn't allow him to do too much goal-kicking practice. Since the Medial Ligament problem in the Richmond game (from which he was supposed to miss 6-8 matches) his ability to practice goal-kicking has been even more affected.
Then whats the logical thing to do? Not play him near the goals, put him at half back or on a wing. If he can't kick goals in training, he no use in a game.

Too lazy to update my username
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

In the movie who can we trade for a washing machine :D

Before Im 85
matrix
Saintsational Legend

tendonitis has something to do with how he doesnt guide the ball down with his right hand?

amazing. :?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:tendonitis has something to do with how he doesnt guide the ball down with his right hand?

amazing. :?
No, it means that he could not (can not?) practice goalkicking like the rest of the able bodied lineup.

Shouldn't be playing if this is the case.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

hmmmmmm
ok point taken.
but...
the guiding of the ball onto his boot has been a prob (it seems) for a long time.
he seems to be able to kick a half decent distance, so if he can do that with tendonitis then he can gude the thing to his foot in a decent manner and still have the same distance, AND more accuracy with tendonitis.

if its that bad, and he cant practice goal kicking then he shouldnt be playing.
kicking for goal or kicking from a back flank to a midfielder is the same thing....kicking.
if he cant kick distance but he still has to play forward (it seems, from where he lines up every week) then camp him on the goal line, open the whole area up and make him lead from the goal square to 30 meters out.....no more.

if he cant do that becasue of the knee...then peeps are right imo, he really shouldnt be playing.
i cant see him using his knee as an excuse for not playing.....he'd have to be really friggin sore imo to say he cant play.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:hmmmmmm
ok point taken.
but...
the guiding of the ball onto his boot has been a prob (it seems) for a long time.
he seems to be able to kick a half decent distance, so if he can do that with tendonitis then he can gude the thing to his foot in a decent manner and still have the same distance, AND more accuracy with tendonitis.

if its that bad, and he cant practice goal kicking then he shouldnt be playing.
kicking for goal or kicking from a back flank to a midfielder is the same thing....kicking.
if he cant kick distance but he still has to play forward (it seems, from where he lines up every week) then camp him on the goal line, open the whole area up and make him lead from the goal square to 30 meters out.....no more.

if he cant do that becasue of the knee...then peeps are right imo, he really shouldnt be playing.
i cant see him using his knee as an excuse for not playing.....he'd have to be really friggin sore imo to say he cant play.
Should be practicing his action with a foam footy, if he can't do it with a Sherrin.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

He didn't have this injury when he couldn't hit the side of a barn last year did he?

His whole technique is ordinary... it started when GT decided to teach him the 'right hand higher on the ball than the left ' trick.

Roo has got to the point where he tightens up that much in front of goal that his posture is clearly effected.

He needs to just pick someone out in the crowd, go back an extra 15 metres & get a bit of speed up (like J.Brown) & drill it onto the punter's chest.

Forget about the big white things... just ignore them! Kick it to the fattest bloke in the crowd you can see!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:He He needs to just pick someone out in the crowd, go back an extra 15 metres & get a bit of speed up (like J.Brown) & drill it onto the punter's chest.

Forget about the big white things... just ignore them! Kick it to the fattest bloke in the crowd you can see!

can saintdooley put on a target t-shirt and yell- " kick it to me!!!!" :wink:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
super dooper
Club Player

I am no doctor or anything, but would he be having some injections in and around the knee region in order to play?

This would surely hinder anybodys kicking.

To think in 04 he simply couldnt miss and was more than reliable booting goals from left right and centre.

At the end of the day, this is their JOB. Their JOB is to kick a football FFS. If that was my living i would ensure that id continually do it till a get right.

Kicking is such an individual thing and everyone has different techniques in how the hold the ball, release it, the angle in which the hold the ball on, stitches in, sticthes out, foot through the ball, cutting it for a left to right (left footer) etc...

It comes down to how the individual feels comfortable.

Take Fev for example, pretty unorthodox, but my god is it effective. It means his right hand is straight at all times as he guides it onto his foot.

JB sways from side to side, but he cant help this due to his body not being properly aligned through the hip region.

Lucas/Green/Lloyd - more classical styles

All of the above a reliable kicks, thats why i think it would be unnessary to employ a kicking coach.

Simple video footage of ur own action should be enough to notice the proper mechanics of ur action.

For example, last winter i had some video analysis of my bowling action. Without seeing where the ball actually went, u could tell in the action whether or not it was gonna land on the spot or not. Surely this theory could be applied to kicking!!

I read in a training report that this was being done today, thank god!!

StBean

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!!

All that practice should have been done before he became an elite player.
Should be second nature. Efficiency on the wknd was 46%, unfathomable...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not sure simply practicing down at Moorabbin will do the trick with Nick.

His action is seriously flawed to the point where he changes his kicking style drastically from his field kicking. He is almost side on at times and hits the ball on his toe (not his instep) every second shot at goal. He just seems to try to overkick the ball way too often.

One of my mates who has kicked bagloads of goals at local footy had the yips a few years back got his mojo back by simply stopping trying to kick the living daylights out of the ball. He concentrated on good contact with the ball, minimising the distance he dropped the ball & keeping his head over the ball.

And he's never been the same since he stopped wearing Pumas & went to bloody Nike!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Dunlop Volleys might do the job.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
So what I wonder is the point in him playing??

It's not like we are going to make the finals.

FFS Lyon let him get better!!!
even more reason to play him in a roving role or wing...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
His whole technique is ordinary... it started when GT decided to teach him the 'right hand higher on the ball than the left ' trick.
Yes I too remember seeing the footage of the emlarged Grant at the time on the track "teaching" Nick the art of kicking a football......and recall shuddering and wondering..."what the hell is marketing doing out there...?"

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I puke every time we have a set shot.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I puke every time we have a set shot.
:lol: :lol: :lol: