BURNS: I was always innocent ;

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

BURNS: I was always innocent ;

http://insidefootballonline.com/rhysjones.html

great read from aguy who obviously hates the limelight-
I just thought every year that it would turn around. You live in hope that something will happen.
sound familiar

Greg Burns was one of the hardest men of his era in the 1980s. DAVID RHYS-JONES caught up with an old foe who has just been inducted to the Saints’ Hall of Fame.

RHYS: We interviewed John Schultz from the tribunal last week. You went up a few times.
BURNS: I was always innocent. I went up for giving you a tap in the guts one time and got rubbed out for that. I got reported four times at Carlton one day. The dirty little Jim Buckley had broken my nose earlier in the year and when we came up against them again, I thought I would get the little bastard. I got a bit stirred up before the game and got reported three times before I had even got to him. I thought I still had to do it so I donged him. He said “what did you do that for?â€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
quidnunc
Club Player

Greg Burns was a delight to watch - a great midfielder and a bit like Clint Eastwood's toilet paper.

I think he was preceded in the centre for the Saints by Glen Elliott another tough as nails and talented centreman.

And before him, Ian Stewart - say no more!

If I have missed anyone who really stamped themselves in the centre around that time please let us know.

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

What a great article, such a shame we weren't a better side in those days.......

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

maverick wrote:What a great article, such a shame we weren't a better side in those days.......
Yeah but more enjoyable to watch though. I remember he was famous for fending off tackles by a one handed push in the face. Speaking of our players that were regulars at the tribunal does anyone remember Glenn Middlemiss ?

St.Kenny
Club Player

You couldn’t knock him off his feet. Here he is, still playing 20 years later. Twenty years without donging anybody – how could you play like that?
You gotta love that quote by one great man (Burns) about another (Harves)!

My behaviour is considered acceptable in some far off remote exotic countries...
Shaggy
Club Player

If you added Burnsy and Joffa in todays team we would win the premiership IMO.

I loved those two guys.

Freak footballers who gave everything (and loved the wet weather at Moorabbin :D )

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Whilst Cunningham shinned in the Saints team (not too difficult in that era), it was when he played for Victoria that everything was on show, and he was almost always amongst the best players. He was in some ways a prototype midfield runner. Whilst his kicking was not always immaculate (a true Saint), his tackling, handball and marking were top notch. A worthy Number 5.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

One of my first football heroes.

Will always cherish memories of Burnsy running through the mud at Moorab's...Legs going a million miles an hour.

Hard as nails.

HARD AS NAILS.

Could be an absolute mongrel.

Something this game is truly LACKING now.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bergsone
SS Life Member

OH,for a G BURNS and a muddy [watered] centre square,great memories

stinger
Saintsational Legend

quidnunc wrote:Greg Burns was a delight to watch - a great midfielder and a bit like Clint Eastwood's toilet paper.

I think he was preceded in the centre for the Saints by Glen Elliott another tough as nails and talented centreman.

And before him, Ian Stewart - say no more!

If I have missed anyone who really stamped themselves in the centre around that time please let us know.
lance oswald wasn't bad....and neither was daryl griffith when he played there whenever stewart wasn't available.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
osama milne laden
Club Player

no mention of dipper's missing ear, waverley late 80s ...

'What do we eat? -Mussles
How do we eat 'em? - Alive'
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Loved Greggie Burns. Thanks so much for that article.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Russman
Club Player

I still have that image in my head of Greg Burns running through the middle at Moorabbin , almost getting his head pulled off about 3 times and kicking and still kicking a goal. The umpires never paid a free for "too high" of course.

Do , or Do not , There is no try.
howlinwolf
Club Player

Burns was an incredibly tough centreman. I reckon he was fearsome and a lot wouldn't have enjoyed playing on him.
Joffa Cunningham... what a player ! I loved watching him. He gave everything and as has been mentioned his games for the Big V will never be forgotten. True Big V spirit was Joffa. He epitomised the jumper and filled a Sainter fan with pride.

Can anyone refresh my memory how he got his jaw smashed that time ? That looked awful but from memory he had too much courage for his own good and wanted to keep playing.
Now what game was that again ?
I'm gettin' old :oops: :?