If the season is over.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

If the season is over.

Most seem to believe that the season is over and we're no chance for a flag. I've still got my rose coloured contact lenses in, so i'm not in that boat.

If we play the kids. Give McEvoy, Steven, Allen, Howard, Mini, Eddy, Miles 10 games each, would people be so harsh on our performances?

10 goal loss to Sydney with 8 first and second year players?

Personally I think playing the kids is an excuse to lose, but if it's better for the mental health of our supporters, go for it.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I thought a bunch of the kids put in uninspiring efforts on the weekend. Armitage coninues to look good in flashes but can't seem to find any consistency. Geary hasn't shown much since preseason. Gwilt needs to be cleaner with his hands and his disposal. Ferg's game was a massive disappointment. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them dropped.

Even if SS has given up on the season, I doubt the players or RL have. RL isn't going to start blooding kids just because SS thinks we have a bunch of players who just aren't good enough. The kids will get games when they earn them.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

If the season is over

We hear this mantra being chanted at clubs everywhere when it goes pear-shaped: "Play the kids! Play the kids" which is all well and good if the "kids" are good enough..there's absolutely NO guarantee that a kid is going to be the answer to our dreams if the kid is not good enough. Too much emphasis is put on youth as an instant "cure-all" rather than a foundation for the future.
I would love to see this boy Mc Evoy be given a run in the side, as well as keeping C. Jones in the side for the next few matches at least.
Of course, there are some who will see nothing positive in anything we try!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: If the season is over

thejiggingsaint wrote:We hear this mantra being chanted at clubs everywhere when it goes pear-shaped: "Play the kids! Play the kids" which is all well and good if the "kids" are good enough..there's absolutely NO guarantee that a kid is going to be the answer to our dreams if the kid is not good enough. Too much emphasis is put on youth as an instant "cure-all" rather than a foundation for the future.
I would love to see this boy Mc Evoy be given a run in the side, as well as keeping C. Jones in the side for the next few matches at least.
Of course, there are some who will see nothing positive in anything we try!
You are right, playing the kids may not help us at all, but doing nothing selection wise will almost definitely do nothing either.

So....

What's the harm in trying by "playing the kids" so to speak?

We are not going to win the flag.....if a miracle occured we'd sneak into about 8th spot, and bomb out very quickly afterwards. No need for rose coloured glasses, just being realistic given we have 4 interstate games to come!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Silvio_Foschini
Club Player

Re: If the season is over.

Otiman wrote: Personally I think playing the kids is an excuse to lose, but if it's better for the mental health of our supporters, go for it.
It worked for Carlton didnt it ? :x

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:I thought a bunch of the kids put in uninspiring efforts on the weekend. Armitage coninues to look good in flashes but can't seem to find any consistency. Geary hasn't shown much since preseason. Gwilt needs to be cleaner with his hands and his disposal. Ferg's game was a massive disappointment. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them dropped.

Even if SS has given up on the season, I doubt the players or RL have. RL isn't going to start blooding kids just because SS thinks we have a bunch of players who just aren't good enough. The kids will get games when they earn them.
Indeed....plus CJ is another in that has few games to his name, though he played a good game. So is a "newbie" too.

So
CJ
Armo
Ferg
Gwilt
Geary

is a very respectable chunk of players that were being tried out.

Some will be omitted this week..but not CJ.

There might be say either Allen or Mini tried...but only if some of the above are omitted.

The others you would think would still be too raw to bring in.

If Kosi and King are not selected the McEvoy may come in.

As VS says...there is stilla finals place up forgrabs and i would expect selections will be mainly on this basis.

RL may try and rework the midfield this week though.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 10 Jun 2008 4:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Red
Club Player

Not just playing kids but try people in other positions. We had a guy who

couldn't get a kick in the forward pocket. He goes to Hawthorn plays in

defence and plays reasonably well. Let's not pigeon hole players.

Mind you confidence could come from his hair.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:Not just playing kids but try people in other positions. We had a guy who

couldn't get a kick in the forward pocket. He goes to Hawthorn plays in

defence and plays reasonably well. Let's not pigeon hole players.

Mind you confidence could come from his hair.
Agree..

I would like to see Gram 100% out of dernce this week.

I would also like to see Sam Fisher have a few runs on the ball...plus BJ too in bursts.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bergsone
SS Life Member

There may be a finals spot up for grabs,but with our form just cant see it coming our way.really do hope i am wrong BUT.