ITS 12:20 AM

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

twirlyhair
Club Player

ITS 12:20 AM

To go forward as a club we must recognise the fact that we are nowhere near it...in fact we are about as far away from a premiership as we have been since 2000-01. The club must now be ruthless, let go of players that can't make it and consitently blood new players and attempt to pick up high draft picks - yes we need to end up lower on the ladder rather than higher and with two new clubs coming into the comp, we need to finish as low as we can in the next two season..including this season...this is the way the comp. works...look at Hawks, Blues etc...

Boppa
Club Player

Unfortunately i agree. We are better off playing the youngsters, hardly winning another game for the rest of the year and finishing as low as we can. The problem i see with us, is that we will continue to beat the rubbish below us (Ess, Car, Rich etc) and therefore finish as we have the past 2 seasons, mid table. Most drafts have 5-6 guns at the top and then it becomes a mixed bag with players that can fall anywhere from say 7 up until 35 or so. I just hope we dont start to become the next Richmond and start finishing 9th every year, where you have the pain of not playing finals and also the pain of not being able to pick up the top end talent come draft time

Like it or not Boppa speaks the truth
bergsone
SS Life Member

that word sends shivers up my spine.TANKING then againway we are playing we might not need to say it .draft is a bit of a lotteryat the best of times so win every game we can,breed a winning culture never give up

my les foote
Club Player

I wish we were as successful as Carlton or Hawthorn. Let's go and tank.

You didn't mention Geelong, West Coast, Port, Sydney, Brisbane, Essendon, North Melbourne or Adelaide in your analysis. These teams have won the last 12 flags. Not a lot of tanking in there.

Win it for HIM!
twirlyhair
Club Player

my les foote wrote:I wish we were as successful as Carlton or Hawthorn. Let's go and tank.

You didn't mention Geelong, West Coast, Port, Sydney, Brisbane, Essendon, North Melbourne or Adelaide in your analysis. These teams have won the last 12 flags. Not a lot of tanking in there.
Unfortunately the regime of Thomas.Butterrs did not develop our youth and on top of this we have selected poorly with our drafts. As a consequence our list is old..(2nd oldest in the comp) and our depth is extremely poor. The other clubs that didnt 'tank' have been far more successful in building their lists through effective and at times ruthless list managment. Unless we add some serious talent, the current list is going nowhere and cannot possibly do what the geelongs, westcoasts and other teams that you mention. Due to the failure of the past administration we are now in this current predicament.

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Now that Rd 11 is over we can officially declare Tanking season OPEN for all bottom 8 teams. Have fun and enjoy the rest of the season folks. :lol: :wink:

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.