Two things saints fans have finally stopped believing!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Two things saints fans have finally stopped believing!

That we have one of the most talented lists in the AFL.

That Raph Clarke is a star in the making.

I've noticed this in recent weeks. Refreshing that folks are finally, slowly, inevitably seeing clearly again.

Now lets play some tough footy!

dsreg1
Club Player

Broad brush

redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

An the only reason anyone believed all that in the first place was the media built things up and all the sheep follow. Now the Media are looking like tools for getting it wrong again so they have and will continue to condemn the club for not producing with the so called "Great list" that it wasn't their error but the clubs mismanagement.

If Raph actually played to his talent he could be anything but he isn't a go getter he is more take my serve kinda guy. So he will not improve as quick (if at all) as we expected.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Two things saints fans have finally stopped believing!

brown-coat wrote: Now lets play some tough footy!
Only worthwhile part of the OT.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

I'm serious though. These factors hype us too much. Creates too much silly expectation, the players forget the fundamental things of footy.

Now all the expectation is off, you just go out and play some hardass nothing to lose football. IMO.

dsreg1
Club Player

brown-coat wrote:I'm serious though. These factors hype us too much. Creates too much silly expectation, the players forget the fundamental things of footy.

Now all the expectation is off, you just go out and play some hardass nothing to lose football. IMO.
So fans believing in an injury ravaged youngster has caused the team to 'hype too much'?

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Yes 100% correctomundo Issac. The bane of 2008!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

if raph wasn't indigenous he would not have the tag of unfulfilled potential

and no i dont care whether he is orange, purple or silver

its a media beat up that all indigenour players that get drafted are silky and pull plays from nowhere

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:if raph wasn't indigenous he would not have the tag of unfulfilled potential

its a media beat up that all indigenour players that get drafted are silky and pull plays from nowhere
come on, he was seen as a player with a huge upside before he was drafted, remember when he played on kouta as a 16 year old for a NT team?

Still has a huge upside and was one of the few who when times got tough put his body in. Don't think we have seen the last of raph, all comes down to confidence IMO

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:if raph wasn't indigenous he would not have the tag of unfulfilled potential

Obviously you have some agenda there.....No one else brought up Clarke's skin colour.

Can't you just hate him to being a poor player?

Can't you accept his potential stems from bing a Top 10 draft pick?

....Ill go as far as saying thats pretty much a racist driven post......because it is.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i had no problem with it.
and i didnt think it was a racist comment.

midas_touch
Club Player

Raph could have all the potential in the world, however raw talent alone can only get you so far. Development plays a big role in youngsters fulfilling their potential, so it would be this area in which Raph has struggled in, in turn creating the lack of confidence that is obviously affecting him.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

He jsut hasn't worked hard enough!

I posted years ago that I was concerned that Raph and Xavier were not developing their bodies sufficiently to acheive results in the AFL. Raph particularly has not worked hard enough on his running or disposal (no dynamic running capabilities what so ever). He has relied solely on his natural talent to get him through and has failed!

Well Raph that just doesn't cut it at this level as 90% of your opponents also have natural talent and most have worked a darn site harder to acheive results.

The club and training staff have also failed him in this regard, but it is too late now for Raph to redress his weaknesses he will not be at the club next year. I just hope for his and the clubs sake that they can arrange a trade for him!
Last edited by WinnersOnly on Sun 08 Jun 2008 4:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Beekay
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:

Obviously you have some agenda there.....No one else brought up Clarke's skin colour.

....Ill go as far as saying thats pretty much a racist driven post......because it is.
Don't be an idiot.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

he was our first pick in the draft of course he will have hype... pick 8 is high... and was touted as a top 5 before he was injured just before the under 18's carnival...

Plain and simple he has not fulfilled the potential he was touted as having and is a DUD, should be delisted... just a list filler..will never be anything...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:he was our first pick in the draft of course he will have hype... pick 8 is high... and was touted as a top 5 before he was injured just before the under 18's carnival...

Plain and simple he has not fulfilled the potential he was touted as having and is a DUD, should be delisted... just a list filler..will never be anything...
I recall hearing/reading media speculation at the time about the fact that everyone knew we wanted to get Raphael with our first pick and the 'odds' that he would be still available when we had our pick. I even had a converstion with JB about it at the 'Thommo Club' night held before that draft. When I told JB what I had heard, he smiled and was non-committal about whether we were planning to pick Raph or not.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:he was our first pick in the draft of course he will have hype... pick 8 is high... and was touted as a top 5 before he was injured just before the under 18's carnival...

I think with time, Raph has the potential to be one of the best players in the AFL.

With time....and a lot of it I might add.

Only 40 odd games thus far....with many after returning from injury....I have faith.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:Still has a huge upside and was one of the few who when times got tough put his body in. Don't think we have seen the last of raph, all comes down to confidence IMO
agree. i haven't lost faith in him and expect him to make some sort of an impact later in the season, especially if we play finals.

his errors make him look bad and people tend to overlook the good things he does. i agree that it is a confidence thing.

bring him in last week in a team that wins by 70 points and i'm sure a few would be singing his praises.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Re: He jsut hasn't worked hard enough!

WinnersOnly wrote:I posted years ago that I was concerned that Raph and Xavier were not developing their bodies sufficiently to acheive results in the AFL. Raph particularly has not worked hard enough on his running or didposal (no dynamic running capabilities what so ever). He has relied solely on his natural talent to get him through and has failed!

Well Raph that just doesn't cut it at this level as 90% of your opponents also have natural talent and most have worked a darn site harder to acheive results.

The club and training staff have also failed him in this regard, but it is too late now for Raph to redress his weaknesses he will not be at the club next year. I just hope for his and the clubs sake that they can arrange a trade for him!
may I remind you of the fact that last preseason was the first full preseason raph's body has allowed him to get through. Coming back from back and hamstring injuries mean that he has lost conditioning in his legs.

As someone else pointed out, he has only played 40 odd injury plagued games.

But some on here pick their targets and don't give up. Those saying he will be delisted must have won the jackpot last night because they are claiming too see the future.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
my les foote
Club Player

Caydn Beetham was another indigenous player who didn't fulfill his potential. Or maybe he was just a top ten draft pick

Win it for HIM!
bob__71
Club Player

What a bunch of sad bastards....with such support i find it hard to believe that he turns up at all.

Just another example of never played loosers big noting themselves on the internet.

Brown coat is the biggest troll on this site.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

bob__71 wrote:Brown coat is the biggest troll on this site.
Not really.

I'm just always right, when people believe lots of rose coloured fantasies they call me a troll.

All hail brown-coat.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

my les foote wrote:

Caydn Beetham was another indigenous player who didn't fulfill his potential. Or maybe he was just a top ten draft pick
Pretty sure hwe wasnt indeigenous but yes didnt fulfill potential.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

It wasn't a racist post,but that won't stop people trying to inflame things by pulling out the racist card,there's a few on here who play it whenever they can......master baiters......

The list changes for 2025 have begun, always an interesting time for an avid supporter.
my les foote
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
my les foote wrote:

Pretty sure hwe wasnt indeigenous but yes didnt fulfill potential.
Thanks, I didn't know that

Win it for HIM!