Is Hawthorn doing a StKilda (vintage 2004)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Is Hawthorn doing a StKilda (vintage 2004)

Now that they have had their first loss and possibly more to come over the next month it will be interesting to see how the media treat them with regards to sticking with them as the challenger to Geelong this year.

Anyway I've watched their last couple of games and I actually tipped Port to beat them in round 8. Nearly paid off. I tipped them to beat Melbourne last week but had it been any other team I would have been picked against the hawks. Picked the Dogs yesterday. It was obvious wasn't it? They had a couple of midfielders out and other injury worries.

Alastair Clarkson is coaching the team to play hard tough footy. It's his brand, the legacy he wants to build much similar to the Saints of 2004 where Thomas (sorry for the analogy in advance) wanted the Saints to play hard tough footy - remember his ethos of "when it's your turn to go" and to the credit of a lot of the young players they did go. And as is to be expected with a young list with immature bodies, the season becomes very long, too long to maintain the ferocity more suited to stronger, more mature bodies. Then the cold months kick in and the young guys really start to feel it. The Saints dropped a few games after that 10 game winning steak and all of a sudden we found ourselves back in the pack on the ladder. I put it down to the above.

It will be interesting to watch the Hawks play out the remainder of the season. I’m betting they start to drop a few games and god help them if Buddy or Roughead gets injured along the way.

Anyone have any thoughts on this theory.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Sun 01 Jun 2008 2:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Was at the game yesterday it was interesting to see how the dogs would go about matching it up with the inform hawks.

The midfield was a interesting battle they certainly missed Luke Hodge and when back from injury will add a lot to that group.

Watching the dogs run off half back and hit up targets was really good to watch that's where they won the game they would switch the play with such ease and precision.

Cooney and Cross got them going in the middle when needed and Rob Murphy has the stickiest fingers in the competion such a great mark over head for his size.

I went to the game thinking the dogs where no chance in hell but they was great the hawks may have been a little flat but full credit must go to the dogs.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Posted this only a couple of hours before the game so didn't get much of a read so I thought I'd push it back up because I am interested to know what people think about the front runners.

I mean if we beat the Dogs this week we will only be 2 games behind them and then perception changes.

Have a look at the Pies, they have won two games -- admittedly they were good wins -- but now they are talking premiership which isn't surprising for the pies.

I think the Hawks are going to start dropping a few for reasons in the OP.

Thoughts

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i think the lions and the magpies will be more of a threat come september, but injuries, as always will have a say in it

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

No. We won ten straight (not including the Cup which was worth more then) and if it wasn't for the coaching staff "experimenting" with a team that had just won its last game by 18 goals, we would have finished first or second.

No doubt Hawthorn have improved, by at least 22.6% on last year. But they are not 'disappointed prelim finalists' yet.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bump!