why train inside?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gilbert=Legend

why train inside?

Training inside, according to ross, gives us the conditions that we play in at telstra dome and will toughen us up!

Um, what is he on.

I fail to see how playing on a indoor basketball court will not only make us tough, but, will give us an idea on how to play telstra dome even through one is grass and the other timber.

Is this another one of lyons wonderful coaching tatics or what robert walls was unable to do when he coached carlton?

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Thomas did this for years. Nothing to see here, move along :wink:

Before Im 85
Saintschampions08
Club Player

Re: why train inside?

Gilbert=Legend wrote:Training inside, according to ross, gives us the conditions that we play in at telstra dome and will toughen us up!

Um, what is he on.

I fail to see how playing on a indoor basketball court will not only make us tough, but, will give us an idea on how to play telstra dome even through one is grass and the other timber.

Is this another one of lyons wonderful coaching tatics or what robert walls was unable to do when he coached carlton?
Gee, like we're the first team to do this.

Geelong's never done it.

Hawks; not a chance.

Brisbane? Your kidding..

:roll: :roll:

4ever_saint
Club Player

at least he didnt make them skip training to go to the movies like GT did in 2004. now that was some good old fashioned coaching tactics. if i'm not mistaken, i believe that week there 10 game winning streak finished. hmm interesting :roll:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Roof will be open on Sunday arvo.

The game is becoming more like basketball, so we train on a basketball court.

The main reason for the change of venue was to keep supporters away.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

did anyone actually go to the courts to see the training ??
we are talking bout RL wanting to harden the team up well after last weeks prefromances i reckon a few 100 suicides (not literally the training excercise ) would be a fairly good "punnishment for the lacklustre performance , but hey lets just jump to the conclusion that RL had them shooting hoops :roll:

there are heaps of training excercises that can be done better on a dry hard surface then a soft squishy oval

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Ice Wolf
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:did anyone actually go to the courts to see the training ??
we are talking bout RL wanting to harden the team up well after last weeks prefromances i reckon a few 100 suicides (not literally the training excercise ) would be a fairly good "punnishment for the lacklustre performance , but hey lets just jump to the conclusion that RL had them shooting hoops :roll:

there are heaps of training excercises that can be done better on a dry hard surface then a soft squishy oval
And a dry hard surface is a lot more similar to Telstra Dome than a soft squishy oval :)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:

And a dry hard surface is a lot more similar to Telstra Dome than a soft squishy oval :)
not all training has to do with the game play ... im pretty sure there aint any weights on the Dome but the players still do bench presses for training ? im sure your not allowed a bike on the dome but the players still have bike riding as a training excercise.
i think some ppl are just to eager to take a dump on the coach/pres/club at the moment

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
super dooper
Club Player

4ever_saint wrote:at least he didnt make them skip training to go to the movies like GT did in 2004. now that was some good old fashioned coaching tactics. if i'm not mistaken, i believe that week there 10 game winning streak finished. hmm interesting :roll:
Sydney actually ended our streak and then we went to movies after our first loss before we played the then bottom side the doggies. Now that was a bad day at the G!!

Gilbert=Legend

I think you failed to get my point,

1. How does playing inside with no tackling, no physical contact 'toughen you up'

2. How does a basketball court give you the feel of tb when it is timber.

These were rl reasons for going indoors and i think every1 missed the point

Ice Wolf
Club Player

Gilbert=Legend wrote:I think you failed to get my point,

1. How does playing inside with no tackling, no physical contact 'toughen you up'

2. How does a basketball court give you the feel of tb when it is timber.

These were rl reasons for going indoors and i think every1 missed the point
your right timber is far too soft they should have trained in an empty pool, smeared with grease so that it matched Telstra Domes hardness and slipperyness :)

Ice Wolf
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Ice Wolf wrote:

not all training has to do with the game play ... im pretty sure there aint any weights on the Dome but the players still do bench presses for training ? im sure your not allowed a bike on the dome but the players still have bike riding as a training excercise.
i think some ppl are just to eager to take a dump on the coach/pres/club at the moment
I was agreeing with you, a dry hard surface is probably more similar to TD than a soft squishy oval llike Moorabbin

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin is neither soft nor squishy any more.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell