Gwilt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

NoMore
Club Player

Gwilt

I know i am going to get blasted for this but does anyone else think that Gwilt actually didn't do that bad a job at Full Back last year

He is on our list. Why not play him.

This would free sam fisher and gram up and give them a chance to play on lesser forwards.

Lets face it. He can't go worse than some of the guys in the side at the moment.

Dempster had a stellar game on didak the other week but retained his spot

If Lyon had made his mind up on a couple of players why did he keep them on the list

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

he did a good as job last year in the backline but i dont think he is up to it this year but then again i would give him ago

bergsone
SS Life Member

Dont reckon he is big enough to play key position ,maybe flank wing ,you would think if he isnt getting a game at the moment,he will struggled to stay on the list

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt should be getting a game right now IMO. He's got good some skills - particuarly kicking accuracy - can be a hard nut (although he's not consistent in this regard) and would undoubtedly have a go.

For me, he's got more upside than Blake, Fiora, Dempster, C Gardiner or Schneider ATM. But I know that many won't agree with me.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
derby Street
Club Player

Nup & Nup - Not big enough to play a key position and not good enough to play AFL. Major problems with his decision making skills in the big league - much like Raph.
(He did play a good game against the Crows in a final though - but that is a distant memory)

NoMore
Club Player

Maybe he isn't good enough to play AFL

But lets find that out for sure before we delist him

We seem to be happy to give L Fisher, Blake, Attard, Dempster and Jones a go

So let us see

By the way he is listed as only 4cm shorter than scarlett and 3 cm shorter than rutton, fisher and hudgeton

Saints94
SS Life Member

Done a good job on Barry Hall last year

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:Done a good job on Barry Hall last year

who was blind,

I like Gwilt and he was passable last year but he also had a lot of help.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Straight to FF for Mr. Gwilt and Kozi to CHF. Roo should be out until leg better, but returns on a wing please

NoMore
Club Player

maybe FF is a good idea

Not where i would have put him but might free roo up to either rest or go to CHB

I think he offers plenty of upside

I also think it is time to say to raph clarke this is it. Play at HF. And u will be judged on ur effort first and not on ur mistakes.

Give the kids some confidence

I'm all for ripping them off if there effort is not up. But if they are trying and something goes wrong well that happens to even the best

We need HF's get him out there where his strength is not as big an isssue as it is down back

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Think he has mainly been played out of postion would like to see him on a wing or in the forward line where he could be more creative... certainly desrves another chance to cut it.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

3 things.

1. Can he tackle and provide pressure?
2. Can he hit targets?
3. Will he put in the effort?

If all three... play him.

NoMore
Club Player

right at this moment there are very few of them who are doing those things

and he couldn't do any of that worse than gram or joey

Buckets
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Straight to FF for Mr. Gwilt and Kozi to CHF. Roo should be out until leg better, but returns on a wing please
Why not couldnt do any worse than our present forward set up. He has the height and the leg speed! And he has a good kick on him!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
hotdish
Club Player

Every time I read this guys name, I think about how good he was in the qualifying final against Adelaide in 2005, when he had about 20 possies and 2 goals...

I think he should be given a few games sometime this year, to show why he deserves to stay on our list...

I think he is the kinda player that will play better in the AFL instead of the VFL...

he definately isn't a key back...

Half Forward suits him...

SteveStevens66
Club Player

There are a number of boys, Gwilt among them, who are just being overlooked and quite possibly damaged in the long run because of it. It must be remarkably frustrating and not a little insulting to guys who are going well at Scorps, doing all that is asked of them, and yet they remain overlooked.

Blooding these guys is part of being a good coach. Perhaps that is too tall an order for Lyon. Tactically, he is screwing up with the both the players he works each week as well as with the ones he fails to select.

Carna Saints!!!
Shaggy
Club Player

SteveStevens66 wrote:There are a number of boys, Gwilt among them, who are just being overlooked and quite possibly damaged in the long run because of it. It must be remarkably frustrating and not a little insulting to guys who are going well at Scorps, doing all that is asked of them, and yet they remain overlooked.

Blooding these guys is part of being a good coach. Perhaps that is too tall an order for Lyon. Tactically, he is screwing up with the both the players he works each week as well as with the ones he fails to select.
I agree with all of the above.

Gwilt deserves a game this week and on the wing where he just collected 29 possessions. I don't want to see him as a full back or tagger when he is promoted :D

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:Gwilt deserves a game this week and on the wing where he just collected 29 possessions. I don't want to see him as a full back or tagger when he is promoted :D
Fiora's spot. Straight swap.