Brad Gotch would make a good coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

congorozides
Club Player

Brad Gotch would make a good coach

Brad Gotch, a former AFL footballer for Fitzroy (1982-1985) and St Kilda (1986-1990), has 13 years experience in the AFL and VFL. He coached VFA side Dandenong to a premiership in 1991 and took Springvale to a flag in 1999 before joining Collingwood as an assistant in 2000. Gotch then coached Williamstown to a VFL flag in 2003.

Western Bulldogs Senior Coach Rodney Eade said the retaining of Brad Gotch as Williamstown coach and his new position at the Bulldogs would add a new dimension to the football department and much needed consistency for the players.

The three-year alignment includes the appointment of a full time coach, Brad Gotch. Gotch will also take on the role of development coach for the Western Bulldogs.

“We are excited about the alignment and the experience that Brad Gotch will bring to our club will provide the support our young players need to grow with the game.â€
Last edited by congorozides on Mon 26 May 2008 1:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: and the New Coach is

[quote="congorozides"]Brad Gotch, a former AFL footballer for Fitzroy (1982-1985) and St Kilda (1986-1990), has 13 years experience in the AFL and VFL. He coached VFA side Dandenong to a premiership in 1991 and took Springvale to a flag in 1999 before joining Collingwood as an assistant in 2000. Gotch then coached Williamstown to a VFL flag in 2003.

Western Bulldogs Senior Coach Rodney Eade said the retaining of Brad Gotch as Williamstown coach and his new position at the Bulldogs would add a new dimension to the football department and much needed consistency for the players.

The three-year alignment includes the appointment of a full time coach, Brad Gotch. Gotch will also take on the role of development coach for the Western Bulldogs.

“We are excited about the alignment and the experience that Brad Gotch will bring to our club will provide the support our young players need to grow with the game.â€

congorozides
Club Player

before everyone abuses me. i dont actually think we should sack the coach mid-season. the players need to be made accountable for starters.

just flying a kite for discussion purposes. B Gotch has an incredible record. deserves a senior job somewhere sometime and is an ex saints player.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

So you start a new thread entitled "And the new coach is".

Sure, I believe you ... :roll:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:So you start a new thread entitled "And the new coach is".
Good call. Thread title duly amended.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:before everyone abuses me. i dont actually think we should sack the coach mid-season. the players need to be made accountable for starters.

just flying a kite for discussion purposes. B Gotch has an incredible record. deserves a senior job somewhere sometime and is an ex saints player.
I think sacking mid-season is better.

At least that way you get someone in well and truly prior to the following pre-season starting.

Why wait? You're wasting half a year.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
congorozides wrote:before everyone abuses me. i dont actually think we should sack the coach mid-season. the players need to be made accountable for starters.

At least that way you get someone in well and truly prior to the following pre-season starting.

If the coach is clearly a dud, I totally agree.

Ross Lyon probably has another month to prove himself.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Absolutely. Knee jerk reactions have served us so well in the past, why on earth would we wait and see if the bloke we gave a three year contract to can turn it around before half-time is done? :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Coaches will be rucshing to our door if we sack another coach. Who would be available mid year. Another non proven coach. Not alot around at the moment. Must stay till the end of the year at least.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I see RL as another Peter Rhode (ex Bulldogs coach) - a good assistant, good bloke, good player, but couldn't do the big job. I think a change is needed as rogerfox says. Stop the rot, nip it in the bud.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

sure cause having the tv cameras around moorabbin getting players reactions to yet another Sacking at the club is real good for the image of St Kilda :roll:

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Quixote
SS Life Member

Re: Brad Gotch would make a good coach

[quote="congorozides"]Brad Gotch, a former AFL footballer for Fitzroy (1982-1985) and St Kilda (1986-1990), has 13 years experience in the AFL and VFL. He coached VFA side Dandenong to a premiership in 1991 and took Springvale to a flag in 1999 before joining Collingwood as an assistant in 2000. Gotch then coached Williamstown to a VFL flag in 2003.

congorozides
Club Player

spert wrote:I see RL as another Peter Rhode (ex Bulldogs coach) - a good assistant, good bloke, good player, but couldn't do the big job. I think a change is needed as rogerfox says. Stop the rot, nip it in the bud.
yeah. as i said in another post. RL is good on bass guitar. but not quite lead singer.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Title was changed very quickly after my post.

Now you are a backwards stepping FLOG.

congorozides
Club Player

Quixote wrote:

You are an absolute flog.

This has to go down as the WORST thread title (and content) I've EVER seen in my whole time wasting my time on these FLOG forums.

And anyone who is posting similar sentiments belongs in the same category.

You are all a bunch of ABSOLUTE DISGRACES!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Glad we cleared that up! I am indeed a flog. no bones about it.

I still reckon Gotch is a worthy senior coach at some AFL club. not necessaily ours.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Coaches will be rucshing to our door if we sack another coach. Who would be available mid year. Another non proven coach. Not alot around at the moment. Must stay till the end of the year at least.[/quote]

Sure, you need to take this all into account.

I mean really, who sacks a coach who's doing well without having a replacement in mind who you could safely say will do a better job??

Oh wait....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Coaches will be rucshing to our door if we sack another coach. Who would be available mid year. Another non proven coach. Not alot around at the moment. Must stay till the end of the year at least.
Sure, you need to take this all into account.

I mean really, who sacks a coach who's doing well without having a replacement in mind who you could safely say will do a better job??

Oh wait....[/quote]

That is the reason we shouldnt get rid of another one because replacing coaches doesnt automatically improve the side.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:sure cause having the tv cameras around moorabbin getting players reactions to yet another Sacking at the club is real good for the image of St Kilda :roll:
And what is the image of St.Kilda right now?

Thanks to our brilliant previous Board, we're not only in trouble now - we're not in a position to actually do anything about it.

As you say, we can't sack someone mid-season, and a sacking year end won't exactly have coaches already in a job (which is what we'd be looking for) knocking down our door.

Sacking mid-season is the best option. Unfortunately for us, it is not an option available to us.

We've been hamstrung by Butterss.

Set back years.

Quixote
SS Life Member

congorozides wrote:
Quixote wrote:

You are an absolute flog.

This has to go down as the WORST thread title (and content) I've EVER seen in my whole time wasting my time on these FLOG forums.

And anyone who is posting similar sentiments belongs in the same category.

You are all a bunch of ABSOLUTE DISGRACES!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Glad we cleared that up! I am indeed a flog. no bones about it.

I still reckon Gotch is a worthy senior coach at some AFL club. not necessaily ours.

Not what your original thread title alluded to - witch-burning, name-naming, band-wagoning Flog.

JeffDunne

I have a feeling Ross might do a Timmid and fall on his sword if things don't improve.

Would that change how attractive we are to any prospects?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

congorozides wrote:
spert wrote:I see RL as another Peter Rhode (ex Bulldogs coach) - a good assistant, good bloke, good player, but couldn't do the big job. I think a change is needed as rogerfox says. Stop the rot, nip it in the bud.
yeah. as i said in another post. RL is good on bass guitar. but not quite lead singer.
Hey! I play bass and managed a successful band (of soft players) for 4 years...waddaya mean!?!

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

The clubs reputation towards longetivity with coaches is already a joke. Sacking Lyon mid season would just enhance the reputation. I am also dissapointed in Lyon so far, and being at the game yesterday, it looked like the players were disinterested (bar the usual 4 or 5). But there is nothing to be gained by shoving Lyon out now. There is obviously something fundamentally wrong at Moorabin at the moment. Whilst some players are overated, you do get the feeling there is more to it than that. Who is out there to replace him mid season anyway ?
Looking for a positive from yersterdays game, maybe this game will be seen as the turning point.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I have a feeling Ross might do a Timmid and fall on his sword if things don't improve.

Would that change how attractive we are to any prospects?
I don't think Lyon is handling the pressure well at all.

He's up and down in his demeanour, and his light-heartedness appears manufactured.

For someone who says he doesn't care what is written about him so much, he mentions it a hell of a lot.

A coach standing down is an interesting one. Does the football world ever believe it? Do they ever really believe they weren't pushed?

For mine, sacking him isn't really even an option. Who would want to coach us if we did sack him?

And, from the Board's perspective - who could they confidently say will do a better job? Only a tried coach - a currently employed one would tick this box. And would they want to come?

That's our only option. Verbally sign an employed coach behind Lyon's back then give him the arse.

Or let him resign then cross our fingers someone wants to coach us.

Or, plan for 3 years time until the mess the previous President left us with runs it course.

Or move to the Gold Coast and accept Voss as our new coach.

congorozides
Club Player

degruch wrote:
congorozides wrote:
Hey! I play bass and managed a successful band (of soft players) for 4 years...waddaya mean!?!

:lol:
ok bad simile :-)

kos
Club Player

it seems everyone bar rosco would be a good coach for the stkfc at the moment.