Performance based pay structure ?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Performance based pay structure ?

We ALL agree there seems to be an issue with the attitude and lack of work rate of the players and i suppose if i was guaranteed $10,000 a game just to turn up every week for a few years and lacked a bit of commitment it would affect my game too.

Just wondering if players were paid on the level of performance or effort on the day some way (and i know realistically its not that easy ) would that make a difference ? Any thoughts ?
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Wed 21 May 2008 10:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

So... players like Raph Clarke wouldn't get paid a cent.

Too lazy to update my username
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Some players are on performance based contracts

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Saints-06-Premiers wrote:So... players like Raph Clarke wouldn't get paid a cent.
My point is maybe that might raise him to his peak level of 5 cents.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

They still get match payments LENNY.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

When injury prone or long term injured players are (re)signed they often have a base contract + $x per game in VFL + $y per game in AFL.
Last edited by SaintBot on Wed 21 May 2008 10:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:They still get match payments LENNY.
Yeah but if they're on performance based contracts aswell they will be trying harder as u guys would put it to get this extra cash and not just the match payment if u get my drift :shock:

Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:When injury prone or long term injured players are (re)signed they often have a base contract + $x per game in VFL + $y per game in AFL.
I think the point raised is if we should be looking performance based match payments. Give the players a kick up the arse.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Saints-06-Premiers wrote:
SaintBot wrote:When injury prone or long term injured players are (re)signed they often have a base contract + $x per game in VFL + $y per game in AFL.
I think the point raised is if we should be looking performance based match payments. Give the players a kick up the arse.
I originally had a second sentence on that but decided it was to unlikely.

How would such a contract work? Who decides whether they are performing to a payable standard? Stats? Coach?

Seems a little suss to me.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:

How would such a contract work? Who decides whether they are performing to a payable standard? Stats? Coach?

Good way to cut costs though.

Yes lenny u had 7 clearances layed 5 tackles and got 28 touches but u missed 2 set shots at goal.

Sorry matey no match payment today u didn't meet our strict criteria on kicking set shots from 30 out straight in front :lol:

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:

I'm probably meaning effort and work rate more than anything and that seems quite easy to assess even all of us can see how much or little players are putting in and i did say realistically it wouldnt be easy but it just makes sense to me that the more or less you get paid for effort the harder you work .

Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

Yes lenny u had 7 clearances layed 5 tackles and got 28 touches but u missed 2 set shots at goal.

Sorry matey no match payment today u didn't meet our strict criteria on kicking set shots from 30 out straight in front :lol:
well maybe those two shots from 30 out are two goals that would have put us in front, strict performance criteria like that would see us as a stronger side.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

LENNY LEADS THE WAY wrote:
SaintBot wrote:

well maybe those two shots from 30 out are two goals that would have put us in front, strict performance criteria like that would see us as a stronger side.
Hook line and sinker was waiting for somebody to bite

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Because of the salary cap it is nearly impossible to have all players on performance based contracts. This year they even got rid of bonus for top 5 finishes in the B&F. The good players are on set rate whether they play or not and the others are on base rate plus match fees. No one gets paid to play in the seconds you just get your base rate if you a seconds player.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

How do you then manage the salary cap?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:How do you then manage the salary cap?
The Carlton way in brown paper bags :lol:

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Free Agency should kill of performance based contracts nicely, don't you think?

aussiejones
Club Player

Does money motivate ?

Some yes ....Some no

GT got a spirit going amongst the boys

RL needs to get them to follow his plan . We dont know what the plan is or importantly that they all have belief in the plan or fully understand the plan.
Belief in success if they follow the plan is the motivator.....not money alone.

supersaints
Club Player

In a way ALL contracts are performance based, That is based on past performance and potential improvement. Thats how they negotiate a new contract, (ie:a players worth) I think they sometimes get Bonuses added to a contract like a B&F etc. but that is not the base. It is unreasonable not to pay someone because they are injured (the club has insurance to cover that) If the players form is not up to his contract worth, this is where the player is either dropped from the list, or at least unable to get a new contract worth as much... quite simple really.....
Anyway the way the club is travelling we will save a fortune on bonuses this season , but I hope we have to spend heaps, because it means we have had a sucessfull year..... 8-)

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

performance based contracts can bite you on the bum as well.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Isn't there an AFL Rule which says all Clubs must pay 92.5/95% of their salary cap each year?
It would be pretty hard to have a performance based contract for each player with a low base payment and meet that requirement as well?

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, if you istigated a performance based policy across the playing list you wouild very quickly lose all your good players to other Clubs who would just come in and offer them (the players) a better base payment and lower incentives.