No more leaks to SS???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

No more leaks to SS???

SAw this article in the H-S this morning..interesting read..

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

AFL players have been banned from scouring fan websites, for fear the vicious player appraisals could lead to depression. At one club, support staff also have been threatened with the sack if they are caught blogging or leaking valuable information to the websites.

Labelled "cyber bullying" and "big brother" blogging by the AFL Players' Association, clubs have taken the drastic step of encouraging a boycott of the popular fan sites.

etc etc etc..

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
starsign
Club Player

WOW! but doesn't surprize me
I guess these things aren't exactly new to our game , and they will always be with us, just that in the modern climate we now live in, they become far more accessable and widespread to many very rapidly

Takes a bit from one's enjoyment in posting even the most constructive criticisms and opinions IMHO!

Such is modern life!

starsign
Club Player

More serious, she said, were players' identities being taken by bloggers.

"The biggest thing I've encountered in my role where it's been a problem is where people take the identity of the player and claim to be making comments on behalf of the player," she said.

"They get obviously quite upset about that."
Agree with this bit wholeheartedly!
Mods lets take a stand on this if nothing else , and show the way!

I notice we are the first site to be listed which ,may be pure coincidence, but anyone reading the Trevor Grant article then this one ( though this doesn't mention criticism of coaches but surely it's a given also)
could be forgiven to coming in here and having a gecko straight away

Lets at least strart by picking up on the names issue, though if there are any genuine ones , and you'd have to doubt that, they may just have be barred to for the overall good

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Re: the title of the thread.

Wont stop anything. Mike, you know there are ways to get around this 'rule', as well as I do.

devil saint
Club Player

I've just read the article as well and agree that we should temper some of the comments we make on the forum; however, to label it cyber bulling is incorrect. The players are obvioulsy in an industry that allows them to be recognised and scrutinised and they must take the good with the bad. No one on this forum (I don't think) says anything to intentionally hurt players - it is more borne out of our frustration because of our passion for the game, which in turn, is allowing these footballers to have such a lucrative job in the first place.

starsign
Club Player

also what about talk back radio sport programs ...vent your spleen segments etc ?
he players better not have their car radios turned on during the drive home after the game

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Oh indeed Nick..indeed :-)

I was never insinuating that we were the Club banning leaks either..my money would be on that Nicks (no relation???:P) Pies page...they play for sheep stations over there, it can get very nasty.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I suppose they'll be issuing players ear plugs on game day also?

I'd imagine far more sctahing verbal attacks would be dished out from the outer.

Also, I wonder if players, coaches and administrators are told not to read Patrick Smith's articles?

His articles contain more bullying and personal attacks than anything I've read on a forum.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm sorry Raph. 8-)

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

In terms of SS,

1. The depression angle from St Kilda - NO

2. The leaks and threats of sacking from St Kilda - you betcha. Rossy runs a very tight ship and this would not surprise me at all.

There's only about 10% of SS that needs to pick up it's game. By and large, we are a fairly moderate group.

Shows how bad the others are though!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Dare I say it's the posters on SS that cop more than any player or coach does.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

What a F*&&(*&^ crap thing to post Dodgy. Numb nutted flaggellating flogging blogger!!

:wink:

Something like that you think?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The problem with the internet and forums like this is that people write things that they might not otherwise say in person. It gives them a false sense of security because there is not a threat of physical or violent retaliation because they are anonymous.

The anonymous part of the internet but more specifically forums like this is the problem. However as we know it is possible for you to be traced and I believe that one day people will start seeking retribution and then things will change for ever.

I for one would not have a problem with being a poster with a known identity. Why, because I always try to conduct myself on the internet like I do as real person in life.

JeffDunne

If that article is accurate - there's a lot of "one coach", "one club official", "a football manager", etc in that article - then IMO it perfectly highlights the problem with the people running football.

They treat their customers with disdain, like to blame others for their failings and scorn rather than embrace media opportunities that should be exploited.

Personally I think for the Herald Sun to be printing that criticism is the height of hypocrisy but that attitude coming from some clubs wouldn’t surprise me (even if the quotes are fabricated).

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Well there have been incidents where allegedly the st kilda football club, the AFL amongst others have contacted the board (not just SS) to shut it up for legal reasons.

Its up to the posters to read the rules and be aware of injunctions and what not in place.

this is, for all its popularity, an amateur board with NO full time, and NO paid moderators.

As such its up to us to self regulate ourselves.

it may come a time when the boys and girls who run this gig have to make a decision whether its worth their stress to keep this up and running for us.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Well to me the coach they talked with sounds like Terry Wallace...

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:If that article is accurate - there's a lot of "one coach", "one club official", "a football manager", etc in that article - then IMO it perfectly highlights the problem with the people running football.

They treat their customers with disdain, like to blame others for their failings and scorn rather than embrace media opportunities that should be exploited.

Personally I think for the Herald Sun to be printing that criticism is the height of hypocrisy but that attitude coming from some clubs wouldn’t surprise me (even if the quotes are fabricated).
The difference though with a media outlet is that all of its journalists are people with known identities who are generally guided by legal and community standards.
There are direct repercussions if they cross these lines.

It’s a different story on the internet.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I would note the following:

1/ Forums such as this are not meant to include people from the club...whether it be players...officials or whomever

It is like other forums basically a forum for Saint's fans to discuss all things St Kilda with other Sain't fans....including at times providing an avenue for stress relief post losses....celebrations at moments of joy etc.

It is basically the modern equivalent of fans chatting over a beer in the old days.....and as in that situation a player, or coach, may not always want to hear what was said.

One of the reasons why AFL is so big...is that people want to talk about it... The internet has merely ptovided another and different avenue.

2/ Yes Clubs would not want leaks....

3/ Poster's masquerading as players should not be tolerated. I don't think this has really occured much on this forum?????...

However perhaps a forum rule should be that Forumites cannot use real life names as their profile names.

Any such names should be changed.

For example I note that a "Mike Sheehan" complete with Mike's photo joined the site recently...and we did have a "Brian Collis".

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I would note the following:

1/ Forums such as this are not meant to include people from the club...whether it be players...officials or whomever

It is like other forums basically a forum for Saint's fans to discuss all things St Kilda with other Sain't fans....including at times providing an avenue for stress relief post losses....celebrations at moments of joy etc.

It is basically the modern equivalent of fans chatting over a beer in the old days.....and as in that situation a player, or coach, may not always want to hear what was said.

One of the reasons why AFL is so big...is that people want to talk about it... The internet has merely ptovided another and different avenue.

2/ Yes Clubs would not want leaks....

3/ Poster's masquerading as players should not be tolerated. I don't think this has really occured much on this forum?????...

However perhaps a forum rule should be that Forumites cannot use real life names as their profile names.

For example I note that a "Mike Sheehan" complete with Mike's photo joined the site recently...and we did have a "Brian Collis".
We have had players or former player or folks claiming to be former players and the kids of the former coach on the forum.

I recall having read Damenshaw on here, as was one of GT's sons.

I would tend to believe these peopel were who they claimed to be.

SHUT UP KRIME!
JeffDunne

Cairnsman wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:If that article is accurate - there's a lot of "one coach", "one club official", "a football manager", etc in that article - then IMO it perfectly highlights the problem with the people running football.

The difference though with a media outlet is that all of its journalists are people with known identities who are generally guided by legal and community standards.

No it's not.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

We have had players or former player or folks claiming to be former players and the kids of the former coach on the forum.

I recall having read Damenshaw on here, as was one of GT's sons.

I would tend to believe these peopel were who they claimed to be.
As I said...I don't think it has happened much that we have had people masquerading as players or Coaches.

I am not counting in this the obvious comdedic attempts you get from time to time...but rather those that have soaght to "cyber-hijack" anothers identity.

GT's son was not masquerading as another person.

That he was not wise enough to keep his identity a secret was unfortunate....but understandable from a younger person.

When he was on he was encouraged by many to say too much...which ultimately had him reveal things he should not.

It was never a good idea though that he participate on the forum....as it would not be for say Lyon's wife....Westaways's son etc etc..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

No it's not.
why?

killa_gram
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:It was never a good idea though that he participate on the forum....as it would not be for say Lyon's wife....Westaways's son etc etc..
For the record, I am not Lyon's wife. :wink:

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
JeffDunne

Cairnsman wrote:why?
Websites are subjected to the same laws as newspapers.

I do agree to extent in what you're saying, but if what is posted is as bad as being painted in that article then clubs could have sites shut down in minutes.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

killa_gram wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:It was never a good idea though that he participate on the forum....as it would not be for say Lyon's wife....Westaways's son etc etc..
For the record, I am not Lyon's wife. :wink:
let me categorically say now I am not and never have been Richard Branson

the physical likeness between the two of us is just superficial.

me

richard Branson

only a fool would think we were the same person

SHUT UP KRIME!