dragging guys who have just kicked a goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragging guys who have just kicked a goal

i noticed this happen at least three times on friday night ... milne and armo were two of the players involved.

can anyone explain the rationale behind it?

is ross worried that we'll get a run on or something?

is it tempo football taken to the extreme of trying to stop in its tracks any momentum we might develop?

to me it is ridiculous. i would have thought you drag the guys who have just conceded goals, not kicked them.

i'm sure someone will come up with "it's the way modern football is played, etc, etc" but i think it is a pure crock.

lockett would have hardly been on the ground if we dragged him after every goal he kicked.

where is the incentive to kick one if it is only going to earn you a spell on the pine?
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 18 May 2008 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: dragging guys who have just kicked a goal

bigcarl wrote:i noticed this happen at least three times on friday night ... milne and armo were two of the players involved.

can anyone explain the rationale behind it?

is ross worried that we'll get a run on or something?

is it tempo football taken to the extreme of trying to stop in its tracks any momentum we might develop?

to me it is ridiculous. i would have thought you drag the guys who have just conceded goals, not kicked them.

i'm sure someone will come up with "it's the way modern football is played, etc, etc" but i think it is a pure crock.

lockett would have hardly been on the ground if we dragged him after every goal he kicked.
It was probably their turn to rest and after a goal is the best time to do an interchange.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I think it's probably more due to pre-planned rotations decided on prior to the goal being kicked.

I've got a feeling the runner was already on his way out before teh shots at goal were even taken.

I'm pretty sure I saw similar things happen to Collingwood players.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It was probably their turn to rest and after a goal is the best time to do an interchange.
mate, if they are hot and running on confidence they should stay out there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:It was probably their turn to rest and after a goal is the best time to do an interchange.
mate, if they are hot and running on confidence they should stay out there.
The fitness guys will claim if they stay out there to long there skills and thinking and workrate drop off. Every club does it so there must be something in it I suppose.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Every club does it.
so that makes it an irrefuteable truth of football does it?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Yes i would say so otherwise they all wouldnt do it.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
All 16 clubs are wrong. You are right.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Yes i would say so otherwise they all wouldnt do it.
this is half our problem. we should set a few trends of our own rather than mindlessly following what everyone else is doing.

starsign
Club Player

this is half our problem. we should set a few trends of our own rather than mindlessly following what everyone else is doing.
this is a quantum leap in your argument Big Carl, and to suggest in this instance our paid experts follow everyone else "mindlessly" is a little naive

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:
this is a quantum leap in your argument Big Carl, and to suggest in this instance our paid experts follow everyone else "mindlessly" is a little naive
nothing wrong with bucking trends. just because everyone else is doing it doesn't necessarily make it right way, or the only way.

the teams who do well are often ones who challenge conventional wisdom and not follow it like sheep.

that is how the game evolves.

i think there is a sound and valid argument for keeping a guy who has just kicked a goal ON the ground.

his confidence is up ... after all he has just kicked a goal. he's hot, he's feeling 10 foot tall and invincible ...

... so let's sit him on the pine for a while so he can think about where he went wrong :roll:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

There are probably both scientific & practical reasons for taking players from the ground after kicking a goal, as has already been stated. We see it hapen but don't understand why. Saying that ALL clubs do it is too simplistic. Most of the advances in player management in the AFL in recent times are sports science related. Clubs, including ours aren't going to let their secrets out via mug punters like us. We need to trust that they know what they are doing !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:We need to trust that they know what they are doing !!
i have my doubts. it is "tempo footy" taken to the ridiculous extreme of stopping your own team's momentum. with a confidence player like milne it is just non-sensical, imo.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:it is "tempo footy" taken to the ridiculous extreme of stopping your own team's momentum.
It has nothing to do with controlling the tempo of the game. The purpose is to get fatigued players off the ground to recude the risk of injury and fatigue related skill errors.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:It has nothing to do with controlling the tempo of the game. The purpose is to get fatigued players off the ground to recude the risk of injury and fatigue related skill errors.
sports medicine and "scientific" football have their place, i suppose, but in this instance appear to fly in the face of commonsense.

surely if a guy is kicking goals he stays on the ground.

btw, i'll bet the hawks don't drag buddy every time he kicks one. they'd keep him out there in the hope that he'd kick another soon.

i would.

danners
Club Player

i agree bigcarl.

cannot see any benefit in taking a guy off after he has just kicked a goal.

it cant be that hard to quickly take someone else off in his place if a goal is kicked.

21 years old, proud member since 1998!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Would have thought players like Armo should stay out there a little longer to improve their fitness, and if they just scored a goal, confidence as well.

Understand rotations, but sometimes we should be a bit more flexible.

danners
Club Player

i am sick of rotations. yeh players would get tired but thats what is supposed to happen. you get tired when you run.

stop rotating all the time, players will stop running so hard to get free and we will have contested football back!

21 years old, proud member since 1998!
VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Agreed Bigcarl.

I noticed this as well on friday night and was amazed.

Seemed to me it wasnt a rotation thing , more like a reward was the impression i got .

object of the game is to kick a bigger score than the opposition, hows a gut gonna get on a roll if he isnt there and surely if a particular guy isnt there doesnt iot gewt affected directly from the midfield ?

What will be next from this club ?
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

A similar point why isn't Armo getting more game time? It seems he only comes on for a few minutes here and there.

Prodgers
Club Player

I told my girlfriend it's part of the 'fair go' policy at St. Kilda that everytime a player kicks a goal he goes off the ground to give someone else a go.

She thought i was telling the truth cause they kept going off after kicking goals :lol:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Prodgers wrote:I told my girlfriend it's part of the 'fair go' policy at St. Kilda that everytime a player kicks a goal he goes off the ground to give someone else a go. She thought i was telling the truth cause they kept going off after kicking goals :lol:
it's part of our policy of giving the opposition a "fair go".

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

When a player who is not a forward at the time of kicking a goal kicks a goal, he is therefore out of position, and would have to move a distance to get back into the right spot for the restart.

If you interchange that player straight after he kicks a goal, a new player can come on in a different position, and in another player can pick up the goalkicker's opponent.

What I'm getting at is that it's a good way to mix it up and strategically confuse the opposition.

Makes sense doesn't it? :)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

Old Basketball adage - if the player is running HOT, give them the damn ball!
I agree, if a player is beating their oppposition, and the opposition number to that player hasnt changed - why bench them ? Would understand if the player is absolutely spent - but gezz surely our players all have a level of fitness to play a full game by now if required!
Otherwise, a couple of injuries in a game such as Richmond - and we are absolutely GONE

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
Rickabee
Club Player
Location: Sydney, but grew up in Melbourne - 1st Saints match = Rnd 4 1966

I would have thought the better analogy was to compare kicking a goal to a fast bowler just getting a wicket. Anyone would get fired up with their success (wicket or goal) but their is a downside in that eventually the player will get too tired to continue to perform at the same level.

I agree with some other posters that I don't think one goal is the best time to bring someone off. I can't imagine how they'd have reached the point of diminished returns after one goal!

Armo has become one of our very few mid-fielders that seems to regularly kick goals (it's a novel idea in the St. Kilda mid-field, unfortunately!), and kcks accurately from most reasonable distances. I get thoroughly pissed off seeing our goal kickers taken off the field because I just don't know who else is going to kick any goals for us!

Kicking goals just doesn't seem like a very high priority with the current coaching staff. Do we even have a goal kicking coach? Don't you think it would be useful with all our wasteful sprays? Even Lenny, who gives his all for the club, would benefit. I don't think it is wrong to admit your weaknesses. You have to admit to them 1st before you are willing to improve them and that's all I want to see happen to this team.