Greg Westaway - is he a ghost??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Greg Westaway - is he a ghost??

With GT trying to take us to cleaners, Archie Fraser has been holed up in court for half this week, plus on top of that we are on the edge of falling out of the eight if things go pear-shaped over the next fortnight.....

IMO our president should use this opportunity to get a bit more of a public profile happening and shore things up....

We've hardly heard a word from Westaway since he took over - does he still exist, or is he just a puppet President???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Personally think it's refreshing to not have our president in the spotlight every two seconds. Happy to have him working quietly behind the scenes to do what has to be done.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

he said when he first came in that he wanted to get this club back and running...profitably away from the crap associated with gt/rb

westaway did say that the club has a few people on this website however....

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bergsone
SS Life Member

When he does say something ,people will then take notice.Much better than seeing him in the media every 2nd day

The Peanut
Club Player

Yeah - GW is a bit of a ghost - but that's not unusual for someone in his position - just direct the CEO to organise everything, which is what the CEO if paid to do. I am sure that this issue has been discussed in length at the big table.

This GT hearing issue happened before GW was president so Archie is left holding the baby - with perhaps some support from the board members who were around at the time.

Isn't it ironic that the words 'GT' and 'Butterss' keeps ringing in our ears and placed before our eyes after all this time? :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:Personally think it's refreshing to not have our president in the spotlight every two seconds. Happy to have him working quietly behind the scenes to do what has to be done.
I'm with you Snoopygirl.

What on earth does the club get out of having a 'dial-a-quote' C-Grade celebrity president?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
snoopygirl wrote:Personally think it's refreshing to not have our president in the spotlight every two seconds. Happy to have him working quietly behind the scenes to do what has to be done.
I'm with you Snoopygirl.

What on earth does the club get out of having a 'dial-a-quote' C-Grade celebrity president?
Your all missing my point.

I never said that I thought he should be a celebrity president.

Just some sort of profile would be good.

I put this to you all - are both Eddie and Brayshaw hack presidents, or does there profile help their clubs? I think the latter....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Peanut
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
I'm with you Snoopygirl.

I put this to you all - are both Eddie and Brayshaw hack presidents, or does there profile help their clubs? I think the latter....

I don't think that GW is the same type of person as those who you mentioned and although we are led to believe he is a good bloke, I don't think that if he upgraded his media attention it would help the club at all - Archie and Burkie are our front liners.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
I'm with you Snoopygirl.

Westaway is a business man, not an entertainer, personally I like the way things are coming along, however it wouldn't hurt to have a mouthpiece that puts himself out there a bit more...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
I'm with you Snoopygirl.

Westaway is a business man, not an entertainer, personally I like the way things are coming along, however it wouldn't hurt to have a mouthpiece that puts himself out there a bit more...
Maybe we should employ Steve Bedwell for that role?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

As long as he can speak better than he can spell...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:

What's the benefit to the club from him increasing his profile?

Eddie's proven himself a capable President for Collingwood over a number of years, and that's continued after his departure from The Footy Show and the vehicle which he used very successfully for many years. Brayshaw has been in the job for a very short period of time as has Westaway. The results will speak for themselves in time.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I heard on MMM about a month (match VS WB) ago that Ross Lyon had at least for a period imposed a media ban on the club from every1 including players, trainers and board members.
He had vetoed Goose Maguire going on MMM for the pregame thing that they do. While he didn't have the authority to gag the board, obviously Burke, Westaway etc had decided to support the coach rather than break ranks.

thought that was very interesting at the time

obviously this has eased to some degree with Roo and a few others doing some i/v in the media as of late but obviously a low media profile is high on Ross Lyon's agenda

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I heard on MMM about a month (match VS WB) ago that Ross Lyon had at least for a period imposed a media ban on the club from every1 including players, trainers and board members.
He had vetoed Goose Maguire going on MMM for the pregame thing that they do. While he didn't have the authority to gag the board, obviously Burke, Westaway etc had decided to support the coach rather than break ranks.

obviously this has eased to some degree with Roo and a few others doing some i/v in the media as of late but obviously a low media profile is high on Ross Lyon's agenda
You may be right but I think that Burke has maintained his weekly spot on SEN all year?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Bloody RL should concentrate on how to play proper football and how to kick more than 10 goals a game, than who is talking in the media FFS :roll:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Greg Westaway - is he a ghost??

saintspremiers wrote:With GT trying to take us to cleaners,

what a load of crap............if he wins...how much are you personally liable for..;...?????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
I'm with you Snoopygirl.

Agreed.

We need GW to keep a low profile this year. It serves nobody by him getting out there and big-noting.

In the coming years, it would be nice to see him come out a bit more, but I'm content for 2008 to see him sick on his hands and do the work behind the scenes.

saintspremiers, your point about JB and Eddie is a poor one - those blokes are absolute guns for hire from the moment they walk through the door because they already have the profile; GW does not.

Eddie is the best president in the league by the length of every straight on every racecourse in the world put together. He promotes the club at every turn, but he's earned that right. Now sponsors are clambering over themselves to be with Collingwood. JB is not far behind - hell, he's saved the footy club, maybe that puts him in front by default. But they are both outstanding at what they do (and before anyone perks up, yes, JB is doing an outstanding job).

GW can't do that just yet - but what he HAS done in the way of sponsors and investing in the football department is quite good. Give him a little time; the last thing St Kilda needs - at this stage - is a president getting publicly involved in previous matters. If it comes appropriate that his profile warrants getting involved, then fair enough. But it's not worth it right now.

I am satisfied with how it's being played out.

That's all that needs to be said on this topic.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Richter
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote:I heard on MMM about a month (match VS WB) ago that Ross Lyon had at least for a period imposed a media ban on the club from every1 including players, trainers and board members.

Yeah, I heard RL on MMM before the Richmond game saying something about that - but then said that he just felt that he was out of the loop within the club as regards media stuff - then moved on to say that now he is on the loop there will be more St Kilda people made available to the media.

He had a much better interview that time and i was impressed by his candour - particularly as he seemed to be acknowledging that he can do the media stuff better.

Interesting that that was the week after questions re game plan/team carrying out instructions (post PA game) - a psychologically defensive mindset coach might have been cowed and refused to allow media but to RL's credit he was happy for Roo, Lenny and Ball all to speak up - saying on MMM "we have nothing to hide..... we aren't playing the way we want to at the moment...."

I actually think he's handled this last month pretty well. Yes, there are questions on the way the team is playing.... but RL is acknowledging that we aren't performing well enough at the moment. That inevitably leads focus of attention back to the field of play - where it should be ..... i.e. can we produce the goods against Clooingwood, Brisbane, Melbourne.......

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...