Commitment Supporters V Players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Commitment Supporters V Players

This is something maybe corny that’s been playing on my mind for many years especially every time we lose our season ending game in frustration with the soft performing players I think “ why would you care you haven’t suffered for this club all your life like I haveâ€
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Tue 13 May 2008 9:12am, edited 6 times in total.

my les foote
Club Player

My opinion:

you need to use the enter key a bit more if you want people to read something like that.

Win it for HIM!
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Does this OP come with oxygen I think I'm about to suffocate. :shock:

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

my les foote wrote:My opinion:

you need to use the enter key a bit more if you want people to read something like that.
Yeah your right .Done

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Apart from a select few players the rest would look at their bank balance for relief :D

Before Im 85
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Commitment Supporters V Players

[quote="Winmar7Fan"]This is something maybe corny that’s been playing on my mind for many years especially every time we lose our season ending game in frustration with the soft performing players I think “ why would you care you haven’t suffered for this club all your life like I haveâ€

The Peanut
Club Player

Although few probably yearn a win for the same reasons as us die hard's, I believe that most, if not all, yearn for a flag just as much for other reasons.

There is always a strong comradery around a good team and you notice how this manifests itself at training sessions etc. Each player has their mantlepiece and it always looks lacking without a GF medallion sitting there.

Every game played is playing for a win so every loss must hurt - facing the supporters, their mates and girlfriends after a loss must be just as hard for them as us, if not harder - at least we can blame the players or the coach - they must keep faith in both.

Burkie inferred ra while back that his involvement wasn't just for himself but especially for other past players who gave their blood, sweat, tears and heart to end up without a flag to show for it.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Yes I see what you are saying but it’s the feeling of what ive been through for 43 years from childhood heros of Trevor Barker and 10 years of wooden spoons and humiliation etc, getting so desperate and my hopes are lying in a bunch of guys who a couple of years ago followed other clubs all there lives or played against us wanting us to get smashed ( even though I realise every teams the same ).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Guys who are playing want to win as much as us but i think that after the game they get over it quicker as they havent got the bulit in passion for the club.
Guys who arent in the side but may be a chance in the next week or two will probably be either hoping they lose or the player than could replace gets injured. This is harsh but true in 90% of cases.
Guys who realise they are no hope because of form or age would be wanting us to win as much as the guys playing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Guys who are playing want to win as much as us but i think that after the game they get over it quicker as they havent got the bulit in passion for the club.
Guys who arent in the side but may be a chance in the next week or two will probably be either hoping they lose or the player than could replace gets injured. This is harsh but true in 90% of cases.
Guys who realise they are no hope because of form or age would be wanting us to win as much as the guys playing.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Guys who are playing want to win as much as us but i think that after the game they get over it quicker as they havent got the bulit in passion for the club.
Yeh, thats right.

Its Business and Football for players.

Whereas with Supporters, its mainly just Football.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

are you sure.

are you sure.

The Peanut
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:Yes I see what you are saying but it’s the feeling of what ive been through for 43 years from childhood heros of Trevor Barker and 10 years of wooden spoons and humiliation etc, getting so desperate and my hopes are lying in a bunch of guys who a couple of years ago followed other clubs all there lives or played against us wanting us to get smashed ( even though I realise every teams the same ).
yes, I see your point and have wondered this myself.

Sometimes I wonder why I am so obsessive about a bunch of well paid kids running around with a hunk of leather when all I get is constant heartache. I think about this sometimes when I end up standing at Spencer Street railway station with my head down waiting on a the 'ever reliable' Connex train. :cry:

But we we are on a roll - I wouldn't mind standing at Spencer Street for a week. :lol:

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

The following players understand the concept of passion, red white and black and want a premiership.

1. Robert Harvey

The rest are there for business/work/personal gain and i think more and more players coming through the ranks have no real understanding of club culture and passion but rather are there for personal glory. Who's to blame? Society as a whole, and the AFLs imperialist expansion policy. Killing Fitzroy, raping South Melbourne, soon to rape North Melbourne.

The sky is falling and the fabric of the universe is tearing itself apart.

I know nothing.

Shaggy
Club Player

I must be missing some thing but this thread is absolute nonsense. It is ludicrous to suggest that players don't want to win as much supporters.

But just because they have the desire to win doesn't give them an advantage because every team and player wants to win.

Unlike us the players are at a disadvantage to show how much the loss /or their game may have upset them because they cannot go into melt down for the next week like we do :D .

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:I must be missing some thing but this thread is absolute nonsense. It is ludicrous to suggest that players don't want to win as much supporters.

But just because they have the desire to win doesn't give them an advantage because every team and player wants to win.

Unlike us the players are at a disadvantage to show how much the loss /or their game may have upset them because they cannot go into melt down for the next week like we do :D .
But its the fact that players play for a living.

Thus creating a competitive market in which these player play in.

Whats best for the individual is not what is always best for the team. As mentioned above, players becoming injured and thus creating opportunities for others.

It is ludicrious to think that there isn't an element of selfishness within every player in the team. They all want to play. They all want to star. But that doesn't result always in the team winning.

And I just made the SS Hall of fame!!!! Go me!
Last edited by Spinner on Tue 13 May 2008 4:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I will go against the flow of the string..

I think most players do care and are committed.

If it was just the $$$$ then as soon as any gota better offer from another club...and amny have...then they wiould have gone.

I am sure that m,any players would not have the passion od some die-hard fans.

But there are MANY fans who only go wen the saints are going well...or they can scenta win.

I also think for some players that there passion would stem from playing with their mates...rather than just the club.

Also remember that virtually EVERY player knows that come draft and delisting time that they may be told sorry, but........

A supporter can also miss a week....without the players chastising them for being weak f**** mongerels for not putting in by turning up to cheer....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Thank goodness its not just me you all see my point. I just wish 40 of us die hard supporters had the talent to be out there with the way we feel about this club that is lacking in a lot of players im sure it would make a significant difference. :evil:
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Tue 13 May 2008 4:15pm, edited 2 times in total.

yipper
SS Life Member

Don't forget there are plenty of players currently playing for the teams they barracked for all their lives - including at StKilda, these blokes would be just as passionate about what they're doing than any of us.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
A supporter can also miss a week....without the players chastising them for being weak f**** mongerels for not putting in by turning up to cheer....

Very good point the only thing i guess is were not being paid $ 10,000 to turn every week but the issue i suppose is all about support and commitment to the club....
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Tue 13 May 2008 4:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Shaggy wrote:I must be missing some thing but this thread is absolute nonsense. It is ludicrous to suggest that players don't want to win as much supporters.

There's a difference between having a desire to win and breathing red white and black.

I want more players crying for the suffering of red white and black everytime we lose.

You can't be in the team, you have to be of the team. To be a proper Stkilda player you must transcend the plain of reality and enter an ethereal realm of passion.

Saturday Afternoon Fever should be compulsory reading for players drafted at stkilda. After reading they must write a 3000 word report on the meaning of being a stkilda player and what their goddamn mission is in life. To win a f****** flag bitches.

Shaggy
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:Thank goodness its not just me you all see my point. I just wish 40 of us die hard supporters had the talent to be out there with the way we feel about this club that is lacking in a lot of players im sure it would make a significant difference. :evil:
Unless the 40 die hard supporters had earned/are earning a reputation similar to a Banger or Burkie (in terms of tenancity) at what ever level of footy they played/play than I would respectfully suggest that they are more talk / less action.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:Thank goodness its not just me you all see my point. I just wish 40 of us die hard supporters had the talent to be out there with the way we feel about this club that is lacking in a lot of players im sure it would make a significant difference. :evil:
The draft system prevents this.

Most likey, if any of us were good enough, we would be playing for other teams.

And we would begin to love that new team. No matter how passionate beforehand.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Im sorry but i think you just want to believe that . How many players that have retired that have played for us at any length are still as fanatical as us? I know of lots of retired players who really couldnt give a rats arse what happens now . Anyone have Tony Locketts ph number to get the figures started ?
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Tue 13 May 2008 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrumpyOne

Winmar7Fan wrote: Anyone have have Tony Locketts ph number to get the figures started ?
I'll let you ring him mate. Not the easiest bloke to ask difficult questions of.