Dempster?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

starsign
Club Player

Dempster?

With all the argy-bargy about Raph lately, this bloke Dempster remains a bit of a mystery to me, as I ponder the back half posabilities for this week
I'm looking for a few learned opinions
For starters I live in the bush and have only managed to watch our games so far this year on TV/Fox and you miss a lot of the interchange info, and also the broader view of the game
Last week for eg after the match I didn't think he played , then on the Fox replay Sun morning I saw he got a couple of posessions late finl Q.( when I was in high anxciety mode and they didn't register)
Then somewhere I read that he was carrying an injury
Was he on the bench !st half?
Was he mainly a tagger at the Swans?
Where does he fit into our defence in the overall sceme of things?

bozza1980
Club Player

He did tag in his time at the Swans.

In the 2005 Grand Final he had a run with role with somebody that the swans were pretty happy with at the end of the game.

To be fair, before we picked him up as the set of steak knives in the Schneider deal, I had no idea about him. Until he played his first game for us I could have passed him in the street without knowing who he was.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:Until he played his first game for us I could have passed him in the street without knowing who he was.
I still could.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
bozza1980 wrote:Until he played his first game for us I could have passed him in the street without knowing who he was.
I still could.
So could a Sherrin.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
busso mick
Club Player

bozza1980 wrote:He did tag in his time at the Swans.

In the 2005 Grand Final he had a run with role with somebody that the swans were pretty happy with at the end of the game.

To be fair, before we picked him up as the set of steak knives in the Schneider deal, I had no idea about him. Until he played his first game for us I could have passed him in the street without knowing who he was.
He ran with Cousins in the GF and kept him relatively quiet, which in a close game made a big difference.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote: He ran with Cousins in the GF and kept him relatively quiet, which in a close game made a big difference.
a very interesting comment.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Beekay
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
I still could.
Even with a Premiership medallion hanging around his neck?

Dare I say it, but the kid has had more of a successful career than most of the boys on our list will ever have.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
I still could.

Dare I say it, but the kid has had more of a successful career than most of the boys on our list will ever have.
so has aaron keating, i'd still take robert harvey over keating ever day over the week, even if banger has to play in the ruck.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Dempster played reasonably well on Brown when he went forward last week. Is solid enough and at least he has penertration in his kicking.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Solar
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Dempster played reasonably well on Brown when he went forward last week. Is solid enough and at least he has penertration in his kicking.
is playing a good shut down role currently and seems to have found his feet after a shocking first game for us. Will battle for that shut down backline role with fish.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Beekay
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:
Beekay wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
I still could.

so has aaron keating, i'd still take robert harvey over keating ever day over the week, even if banger has to play in the ruck.
See: most of the boys.

footynut
Club Player

Sadly, I havent seen much of him either. Now we know he isnt a ball magnet, however does he have the skills and ability to hole down FB? He is about the same height as Glass and only a few kg lighter... I think he could be an option if Maxy is unavaliable....

Thoughts???

yipper
SS Life Member

Dan Warna wrote:
Beekay wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
I still could.

so has aaron keating, i'd still take robert harvey over keating ever day over the week, even if banger has to play in the ruck.[/quote]

He has. Done it all our Banger!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

I like Dempster.

How bout we give him a bit of time to settle into a new club before we're to harsh on him.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It's really hard to tell with Dempster. He could be the sort of player that fans hate but coaches love: because he goes out and does the job demanded of him.

Personally, I prefer defensive players of the Leigh Fisher type who can also get and do something with the ball. Even Baker is more of an attacking force than Dempster.

However, RL does seem to like the Dempsters and Attards of this world (and, until recently, the Blakes as well). I reckon that one of these in your side is well and truly enough so, if Blake, Attard and Bakes aren't in, I guess it's fair enough for Dempster to be there.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Solar
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote:Sadly, I havent seen much of him either. Now we know he isnt a ball magnet, however does he have the skills and ability to hole down FB? He is about the same height as Glass and only a few kg lighter... I think he could be an option if Maxy is unavaliable....

Thoughts???
Maybe a little light and I'm not sure he is quick enough to keep with someone on the lead. Would be interesting. Seems to play smaller then his listed height.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Huzzad
Club Player

I thought Dempster was great on Sat. Didn't get a tonnage of footy, but really used it well. Showed good pace and decison off half back at times. I think he will really develop. Shows alot of poise and seems to have a clear head. Had some great individual moments throughout the game.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Red
Club Player

I'm not sure but if keeping Cousins to 27 possessions 7 marks and a goal

makes it a good day for Dempster than we are in trouble.

Seriously though he has provided some run but he just can't hit a target by

foot - but then again neither can the rest of the side.

Huzzad
Club Player

Red wrote:I'm not sure but if keeping Cousins to 27 possessions 7 marks and a goal

I remember him hitting alot of targets on Saturday

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
kalsaint
Club Player

Red wrote:I'm not sure but if keeping Cousins to 27 possessions 7 marks and a goal

I must admit to not seeing him too much in games. Is this because of he desire to play a close checking game against a quality oppo, I am not sure?

One thing, I thought Baker was on Brown! I was not impressed when Dempster did get hands or feet to the ball in the pocket and Brown scored a goal as a result of this.

My thoughts, we need a replacement for Max in the near future. This takes time and dedication to meet the level of our favourite stopper. Has Dempster got the goods? Someone in this thread seems to think so. Why?

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Huzzad
Club Player

kalsaint wrote:

I must admit to not seeing him too much in games. Is this because of he desire to play a close checking game against a quality oppo, I am not sure?

One thing, I thought Baker was on Brown! I was not impressed when Dempster did get hands or feet to the ball in the pocket and Brown scored a goal as a result of this.

My thoughts, we need a replacement for Max in the near future. This takes time and dedication to meet the level of our favourite stopper. Has Dempster got the goods? Someone in this thread seems to think so. Why?
Be great if he could replace Max, need to watch a few more games. But I think Dempster was good against the Tiges. Was at the game and watched the replay and did well. He wasn't outstanding, but he was far from being a passenger. Be really interesting to see how he develops.

To the top
SS Life Member

I think he is listed at 192cm.

And Sydney thought enough of him to run him with Cousins in a Grand Final - and Sydney won.

Mind you, they also "chopped" him!

After 50 games.

So with general concensus now that R. Clarke (189cm), Ferguson (187cm) and Gwilt (188cm) have been sacraficed to defence - because where are the options? - and now without Maguire (season) and Hudgden (at least one more week) from the key defensive positions, it is time for the real question to be asked of Dempster - can he cut it as a full back in today's competition?

Does he have the absolute discipline - and the pace, because he would appear to have the height. Max, remember, is 191cm and Maguire 190cm.

Because where are the options?

Plus, I do not really rate Sam Fisher as a key position back - no matter his 191cm build. To digress, in terms of players who played in attack when recruited, Sam Fisher was a CHF at West Adelaide (including in a Grand Final, I think) and played in defence at St Kilda because of the lack of defensive options.

If we are a premiership side, Sam Fisher is a half back flanker. No question. If Sam Fisher is our CHB, we are mid table strugglers.

The match v. Collingwood may well see the question asked of Dempster - and we trust he responds with a very effective negating game which chops out Cloke or Rocca from the equation.

Can he replicate Max if given the responsibility?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Dempster does not play tall. He is shoved off the ball with ease by anyone but light crumbing forwards and isn't much chop in the air.'

He is effectively a replacement for Jayden Attard, but with a bit more skills and a bit less toughness.