Goose's injury

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kp83
Club Player

Goose's injury

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but do we know whether the injury was from one incident during the Tigers game or is it stress related as his other foot injuries have been?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goose's injury

apparently was his bad foot, not his good foot as originally reported and, as such, i'd guess it is related to the broken leg/original injury.

very, very sad for goose and he'd be close to considering giving it away i'd have thought.

the kid burst on to the scene in 2004 and looked like he could have been anything.

now it might be career over at 24??. it's just bullsh*t and one more obstacle st kilda must rise above.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:apparently was his bad foot, not his good foot as originally reported and, as such, i'd guess it is related to the broken leg/original injury.

very, very sad for goose and he'd be close to considering giving it away i'd have thought.

the kid burst on to the scene in 2004 and looked like he could have been anything.

now it might be career over at 24??. it's just bullsh*t and one more obstacle st kilda must rise above.
i doubt his career will be over...

he is not as soft as penny...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:apparently was his bad foot, not his good foot as originally reported and, as such, i'd guess it is related to the broken leg/original injury.

i doubt his career will be over...

he is not as soft as penny...
Leg and foot problems can have a snowball effect.

Since one leg is favored, the other takes up more weight, stress ect.

I'd be suprised if Goose can ever really get back and perform the way he used to.

I wish the best for him, but he just seems to have bad leg and foot problems.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Agree. Someone really needs to get into the mechanics of the way Goose runs and what causes these problems.

I assume it started with an over compensation problem from the busted leg.

So sad for the young man.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Goose's courage was seen when he as a 19 year old went into the ruck and destroyed fraser, the pies were forced to switch anthony rocca into the ruck, with the sole purpose of running into maguire, which saw him leave the field and the brief st kilda revival ended.

I also remember him taking some gutsy marks in the back line as a bug eyed skinny teenager against bigger and stronger players, and getting pollaxed time and time again.

a real eyes on teh ball kind of guy.

I also remember his blistering straight line speed (sure comments have been made he can't turn) in taking down johncock running at full tilt.

I think the majority of st kilda fans sighed a massive sigh of relief when he turned down offers to cross to essendon and geelong who were desperate for a KPP at the time.

I wonder if we'll ever see maguire at that level again, we can only hope.

There's no doubting bad luck.

I think while folks mock mark Harvey now, I think bomber harvey had some 100 operations and never achieved the potential he showed as a junior, and yet still managed 200 games and 2 premiership medal with the bombers, while being an effective resolute power defender as opposed to the freewheeling dashing hbf he promised to be prior to being injured.

Cheers Goose, all the best in your recovery.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Goose's best asset was (hopefully will be again) his confidence.

Goose wouldn't just prevent his man from marking - he'd outmark him. He did this late on the game against Richmond, and my eyes lit up. I hadn't seen that from him since 05. I thought we may get to see him reach his best.

Goose wasn't just an elite stopper, he was damaging.

Some facts on Goose for the dickheads who claim this pathetic bulls*** about 'the game passing him by' (I mean really, with Geelong winning the flag by 20 goals playing good old fashioned footy, you'd think people would learn that the game doesn't really change much at all - let alone within 2 years)....

He was quick, fast and very strong. He'd break lines and put us into attack instantly. With our forward setup at the time, we'd have at least one marking target plonked in the 50 and at least crumber at their feet. The game hasn't passed Goose by in this regard, he's just only played about 5 games under our new game plan. As a team we've played 30 odd, and still can't get it right.

He would kick goals from CHB.

He was aggressive and intimidating.

He would take the game on.

His scalps include Lucas, Rocca, Croad, Brown (well, he 'contained' him), Mooney, Hall and many others considered to be elite.

He played out 2004 injured. He had OP.

He didn't get a pre-season in 05 and played accordingly. As Goose started to come good, so did we.

He did his hip in R21 in 05 and was cactus for the finals.

He still had OP in 2006. This affected his speed greatly.

He broke his leg in 06 and hasn't been back since - effectively.

He was tough and courageous.

Goose was one of the main factors behind our 'streak' in 04, and his injuries coincide almost identically to our form since 2004.

I read that people think he's a bit up himself and a bit of a knob. Well, to be honest I want to see more arrogance from some of our guys on the field - and off it if it helps!

Most of the best sportsmen of all time have been incredibly arrogant. Some say you need to be.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I guess the question remains, does the club need to make a tough decision regarding Goose's future???

I'm thinking the club will be a bit gun shy to trade/delist him after injured Joel Smith was 'exited out' by the saints, but returned to play some great footy with the Hawks.

I would hate to see Goose running around in another jumper as much as the next bloke, but is he deserving of a spot on the list when a) it's been almost 2 years after the broken leg, and it will be another 10 months before he could look any closer to being fit, and b) the pace of the game has passed him by and will get worse, and c) the saints posession game doesn't suit bombing long kicks from the backline, one of Goose's greatest strengths.

And if the decision was made to trade him, what would we expect in return?? If we were to trade him at the end of this season, would any clubs take a punt on him. Even if they did, anything better than a 3rd round pick would be a win for the Saints.

My opinion would be to keep him at least until we have another good key position backman on the list, but I wouldn't be too upset if we let him go. I just can't see him ever getting back to the Goose we all know and love.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I heard the club physio on radio yesterday saying that "nerves" could have been a contributing factor in Goose's injury.

I'm guessing that this means the club has concerns that there could be (permanant or otherwise) nerve damage from the broken leg (and associated complications) to such an extent that Goose is unable to feel when he is doing damage to his foot.

I do hope that he can overcome this latest setback and come back fit & firing in 2009. Let's show some optimism here, the guy doesn't turn 24 until later this month !!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I guess the question remains, does the club need to make a tough decision regarding Goose's future???

I'm thinking the club will be a bit gun shy to trade/delist him after injured Joel Smith was 'exited out' by the saints, but returned to play some great footy with the Hawks.

I would hate to see Goose running around in another jumper as much as the next bloke, but is he deserving of a spot on the list when a) it's been almost 2 years after the broken leg, and it will be another 10 months before he could look any closer to being fit, and b) the pace of the game has passed him by and will get worse, and c) the saints posession game doesn't suit bombing long kicks from the backline, one of Goose's greatest strengths.

And if the decision was made to trade him, what would we expect in return?? If we were to trade him at the end of this season, would any clubs take a punt on him. Even if they did, anything better than a 3rd round pick would be a win for the Saints.

My opinion would be to keep him at least until we have another good key position backman on the list, but I wouldn't be too upset if we let him go. I just can't see him ever getting back to the Goose we all know and love.
Don't think they will delist him, and no club will trade for him, one may pick him up in the pre-season thou but the club wont deliste him next year if the same thing happens then...........

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Goose was one of the main factors behind our 'streak' in 04, and his injuries coincide almost identically to our form since 2004.
great post rodgerfox and I agree with all of it, especially the above paragraph. people forget how important he was to those teams and how infectious his confidence was on the guys around him.

you should email it to the club and ask them to forward it to goose. might give him something to ponder if he is considering giving it away.

it's a minor tragedy for our club that injuries have curtailed the career of a guy who in 2004-2005 had the world at his feet (no pun intended).
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 07 May 2008 12:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Goose was tagged by Mark Thompson in 05.

That's right, a CHB being tagged.

From memory, he used Charlie Gardiner for the job I think.

4ever_saint
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:Goose's best asset was (hopefully will be again) his confidence.

Goose wouldn't just prevent his man from marking - he'd outmark him. He did this late on the game against Richmond, and my eyes lit up. I hadn't seen that from him since 05. I thought we may get to see him reach his best.

Some facts on Goose for the dickheads who claim this pathetic bulls*** about 'the game passing him by' (I mean really, with Geelong winning the flag by 20 goals playing good old fashioned footy, you'd think people would learn that the game doesn't really change much at all - let alone within 2 years)....

He was quick, fast and very strong. He'd break lines and put us into attack instantly. With our forward setup at the time, we'd have at least one marking target plonked in the 50 and at least crumber at their feet. The game hasn't passed Goose by in this regard, he's just only played about 5 games under our new game plan. As a team we've played 30 odd, and still can't get it right.

His scalps include Lucas, Rocca, Croad, Brown (well, he 'contained' him), Mooney, Hall and many others considered to be elite.

He didn't get a pre-season in 05 and played accordingly. As Goose started to come good, so did we.

i agree 100% with this and that this should definately be passed onto the club for him. extremely uplifting and i imagine would be a great reassurance and a really great thing to hear, especially if he is contemplating giving it away.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:
Goose's best asset was (hopefully will be again) his confidence.

I read that people think he's a bit up himself and a bit of a knob. Well, to be honest I want to see more arrogance from some of our guys on the field - and off it if it helps!

Most of the best sportsmen of all time have been incredibly arrogant. Some say you need to be.

Sopt on rodgerfox. This waffle that the game has passed him by is just that, waffle. Fit and firing (as in 04) he is in our top three or four most important players. He has had the run from hell in regards to injuries. My heart goes out to him. Only have to look at how long it has taken Nathan Brown to get some decent form back from his broken leg, and he hasnt had anywhere near the difficulties following his op that Gosse has had.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

While I wouldn't dream of going so far as to say he'll get back to his best, it'd be a huge mistake to write him off. Unless the frustration gets to him and he retires or just lets himself go, he's still young enough that there's plenty of time left for him to have a successful career.

Read the post on the subject by sRs, and while the injury takes a while to come back from, some very big names have recovered from it and played soccer again, so writing him off is entirely premature.

It's a long road back to where it looked like he was going to be, but it's not like there's that much pressure for the list spot, he's contracted compared to others, and the upside is worthwhile even if it's just not seeing him get there in another teams jumper... and make no mistake, if Stewie Dew gets another shot, if Michael Gardiner gets another shot, someone would give Maguire a run.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Brooksy_Babe_24
Club Player

How about we buy some big cards or set up a post just for goose and let him know we are thinking of him and that we wish him all the best in his recovery.
supporter well wishes do some players the world of good with the way they think about their options.

Brooksy I'll never Forget you

AKA Austinn's_Honey & Troy's_Gal
NEVER EVER BAG YOUR OWN PLAYERS

http://blog.myspace.com/sexc_saz
crackers65

The goose is gone

The number 31 will say it's time to go and find a new job this week at a press conference he has tried hard to get back but a source from the club has told me he's finished at 23 gone sad to say

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: The goose is gone

crackers65 wrote:The number 31 will say it's time to go and find a new job this week at a press conference he has tried hard to get back but a source from the club has told me he's finished at 23 gone sad to say
And when is this press conference. Not for one second do I think Goose will give it away, at least until he does another pre season. It is not as if he has a great job to go to.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

crackers65 wrote:The number 31 will say it's time to go and find a new job this week at a press conference he has tried hard to get back but a source from the club has told me he's finished at 23 gone sad to say
source?

yipper
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
source?
1 post!! Maybe yet another troll come on to stir us all up again!!

Afterall, we know who our insiders are on here!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the selfish me says- Don't do it Matty- he is one of my favourites :( :(

the unselfish me says- Do what you need to do for your long term future matty :cry: :cry:

the cautious me says- Don't jump matty - give it some time and to the club - what's happening in germany, England, America, Hungary, nz - anywhere - that could help you overcome the injury and use your courage and strength to become once a gain a vital member of the St kilda Fotball club :?: :idea:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:overcome the injury and use your courage and strength to become once a gain a vital member of the St kilda Fotball club
and drink plenty of milk to strengthen your bones

4ever_saint
Club Player

:roll: i dont think maguire will just up and retire, considering the club had to tell him not to try for a return this year. also the reports that he was fighting back tears as leaving xrays- just seems like he has a little more passion for the game than to just simply retire. though i guess time will tell.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

4ever_saint wrote::roll: i dont think maguire will just up and retire, considering the club had to tell him not to try for a return this year. also the reports that he was fighting back tears as leaving xrays- just seems like he has a little more passion for the game than to just simply retire. though i guess time will tell.
yep, I don't think I ever loved max as much as the day he cried on teh field.

we need passion like that.

if goose has that sort of passion im looking forward to his return.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I have never met him, but he has always seemed like a fine young man to me. I sincerely wish that he regains his health so that he can live a normal life. If he is able to play footy again, well and good.