If Kosi has to play ruck, we're screwed...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmarvellous
Club Player

If Kosi has to play ruck, we're screwed...

I'd rather Blake (and that's saying somethin) play ruck than Kosi. Does nothing when playing ruck and I hope peoiple take their rose coloured glasses off and admit the purple patch was just that...an enigma. Until we find a spot that he can hold down and actually have a weekly impact on (and the ruck is NOT it), he will remain a seconda second string forward or ruck. CHB beckons with Goose gone, and I think it's a perfec fit.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't have the periforal vision to play CHB.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
JeffDunne

I know this will probably sound terrible but Kosi aint a great thinker on the field.

He needs to be in a situation where all he has to focus on is getting the ball or manning up. He hasn't had the time developing as a ruckman to beat A grade ruckman.

I agree CHB would be a better role.

There's a big beanpole at Freo whose coming out of contract and I reckon we should morgage the house and go after him. King will be handy for a season or two when fit, Gardiner is long shot and after that the best we have is 'potential' or step ladders. We need an A grade ruckman in the prime of their career and we should go all out to get one.

Winmarvellous
Club Player

CHB is the perfect spot for a man to run in straight lines. Forward have to worry about ducking back into play.

Saint_in_SA
Club Player

Winmarvellous wrote:CHB is the perfect spot for a man to run in straight lines. Forward have to worry about ducking back into play.
Yep, like CHB for Kosi, has he played there before and dominated?

A-HUH A-HUH A-HUH
JeffDunne

I don't have a problem with him playing forward provided he's the only target up there.

Kosi will go for anything he thinks he can get his hands on, regardless of who else is going for it.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Have been talking CHB for Kosi for over 4 years....

Won the rising star award in 03 year [I think :oops]: And with goose out would add some steel and marking power down back.

Play Sam Fisher at Fullback and give Max the 3rd best forweard.
Geary,Gram,L.Fisher in support...

Must be considered now :?
Last edited by saint patrick on Sun 04 May 2008 10:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

With Roo out and Gehrig useless I don't think we'll see Kosi spend much time in the ruck for the next couple of months. But we do have options.

Gardiner with some fitness is a quality number one ruckman
King is a solid second ruckman
Blake can compete and offers a bit around the ground
McEvoy would be able to compete if the opposition also has a smaller second ruckman
Rix could have a go if those four are injured (although I would imagine van Rheenen might be promoted if it came to that)

Statsman
Club Player

If Kosi plays at CHB and Riewoldt is out for an extended period, who do we play as key marking targets up forward? Obviously it's an opportunity for Jarryd Allen to show us what he's got. We'd have to rely on Gehrig turning it around pretty quickly, otherwise it's Allen, Charlie Gardiner and the crumbers.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
JeffDunne

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a completely new forward structure without one of the obvious key targets.

Kosi's goal kicking alone gives me reason to think he'd be better use elsewhere.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Watch Kosi's effort in qtr 4 last night if you want to see what a ruckman should do around the ground. Ran off beautifully and got free on numerous occasions.

Interesting when Gardiner was at FF he ran to the stoppage a couple of times to block Simmonds and Kosi was third man up. Didn't work that well from what I remember however it negated Simmonds rucking.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Huzzad
Club Player

I like Kosi at CHB, but not sure if that is the best plan with Roo out. But I reckon he would do well there. Got the height and the agility to play well there. But yeah, was at the game last night and he looked very out of sorts in the ruck.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Would rather have Kosi having shots at goal than Roo.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Statsman
Club Player

Kosi is fantastic "around the ground" as a ruckman. He also does a reasonable job at ball ups and boundary throw ins where he can go body on body with his opponent.

However he really struggles at centre bounces where he has to out leap his opponent if he wants to win the hit out. This was highlight last night against Simmonds who has a fantastic leap. Kosi couldn't get his hand anywhere near the football and Simmonds won pretty much every centre bounce contest. That often gave Richmond first use of the football and we were left playing catch up.

For Kosi to be an effective ruckman, his work around the ground has to far outweigh the fact that he's slaughtered at the centre bounces. If the opposition were to score 4-5 goals from easy centre clearances due to Kosi's ruck deficiencies, how much does he need to provide around the ground to balance that out?

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
benoc
Club Player

Assuming Roo is out.

Play Kosi at CHB. Reasons as posters above.

Move BJ up to the forward line. He seems to hold the play up a bit too often but put him on our 50 (and run into the center) and he has the distance to kick them.

Fraser plays out of the square. He hasn't had a blinder of a season so far but he still drags a key defender and provides the crumbing opportunities to Milne and Schnider.

With Charlie G, Milne etc filling the gaps.

nicko016
Club Player

With Riewodlt out and Gehrig struggling, it seems quite logical to play Koschitzke at CHF given how's he's played there before under similiar circumstances. As a ruckmen, hes good around the ground and can be all right in the ruck against poor opposition but against quality ruckmen he really struggles. He especially struggles at the centre bounces, but can be effective against poorer ruckmen at ball-ups and boundary thrown-ins.

But given Roo out and Gardiner in and hopefully King in soon he must play CHF.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

with riewoldt out and gehrig out of favour we are going to need a marking forward and kosi is the logical choice.

he's the type who thrives on responsibility and i predict he'll surprise a few at chf or ff over the next few weeks.

i'd also be looking strongly at including allen.

riewoldt's injury is an obvious blow to the club, but to put a positive spin on it at least it will force us to re-think a structure/game plan that hasn't been working well enough.

as allan jeans used to say, crisis creates opportunity.

this hands a chance to allen to prove his worth and kosi to finally settle into a key forward position without constantly being called upon to fill a hole in the ruck.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I am not sure how many CHF's that Kosi could actually combat.

He is not as quick or nimble as he was in his Rising Star Year.

BJ and Sam to share the roll......assuming that Max returns for FB.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
hotdish
Club Player

If Riewoldt is out...play Kossi CHB??? WTF?

Didn't you see his game v West Coast at Subi last year when he was given the goal square by himself.

Tore WC a new one in the first half and kicked 4, before being double teamed.

Let Charlie play lead up CHF...Plant Kossi and G in the F50 with Milne leading and crumbing.

Simple.

Collingwood don't have many talls anyway. Rocca(Hudghton/Dempster) and Cloke(S Fisher), thats all.

hAyES
Club Player

I don't want to see Rix ever play a game again. He reminded us all just how terrible he is in that game against Port. Him and Raph should start considering different careers.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dreaming for Kos at CHB now given the mobility of some of the games CHF....I shudder at Kosi trying to keep up with a fit Pavlich...

Play him as THE fwd.
Leave Gehrig out
Roo is injured.

From there mix the fwd line up a tad and Id like to see Allen get a go.

We MUST have more goals from midfiedlers - that simple.

“Yeah….nah””
Richter
SS Life Member

Kosi certainly was smashed by Simmonds wrt the tapwork. But I'm not sure that we won any more clearances when MG was up against him despite being getting as many taps as Simmonds.

For mine it's horses for courses - if the oppo have a good pair of tap ruckmen (Sydney, Port) then we need to match with 2 - King and MG, if fit. Otherwise then Kosi is acceptable as 2nd ruck - e.g. vs Collingwood.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Didn't you see his game v West Coast at Subi last year when he was given the goal square by himself.
And I'd love to see him do it again, but not once in a blue moon. He seems to play a good game in every 5-6, so I thiunk we best look at a possie where he can dominate on a weekly basis. He obviously has the talent.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With Roo gone, Gtrain fading Kosi is our best key forward option..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:I know this will probably sound terrible but Kosi aint a great thinker on the field.

He needs to be in a situation where all he has to focus on is getting the ball or manning up. He hasn't had the time developing as a ruckman to beat A grade ruckman.

I agree CHB would be a better role.

There's a big beanpole at Freo whose coming out of contract and I reckon we should morgage the house and go after him. King will be handy for a season or two when fit, Gardiner is long shot and after that the best we have is 'potential' or step ladders. We need an A grade ruckman in the prime of their career and we should go all out to get one.
Who?? Sandilands?? Or Warnock??

The Saints are coming!