Maybe the best thing?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Buckets
SS Life Member

Maybe the best thing?

I know injuries to key players are never good however could the injury to Roo actually be a blessing?
There are three reasons i say this:
1. Roo has not been 100% all year anyone with half an eye could see this perhaps this may give him the time to be fit and ready for the second half of the year!
2. Without Roo it means that we have to find avenues to goal, this means we may be less Roo reliant when he comes back into the team, gives other forwards the chance to step up and be counted like Milne was tonight. Everyone complains about the fact that we always seem to just concentrate all our attcks through him without him their maybe our midfield will learn not too always go looking for him!
3. This might be the perfect chance to blood either Big Mac or Allen in the forward line, they wont get the best defender and in the case of Big Mac it means that he could spend some time in the ruck helping Gards and Kosi! On the otherhand it gives us the chance to maybe move players into the forward line that are normally down back. For instance BJ could be good to have down there instead of down back and whenever Raph plays for the Scorps he plays forward and seems to do well, forward is where raph should play maybe it is his chance to really prove to everyone including himself that he can play!
Unfortunate that Roo is injured but i see a silver lining there that could prove to better the team!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
felixleo
Club Player

God ypu are full of it, unky mark

Buckets
SS Life Member

felixleo wrote:God ypu are full of it, unky mark
hello mr. gatto! :lol: :lol: :lol:
post something more useful next time would ya! :roll:

Buckets
SS Life Member

Anyone got any thoughts on this?

felixleo
Club Player

No cos they know your full of it and don't want to talk to you. 8-) 8-) 8-) :D :D :D

felixleo
Club Player

But to reply to query
1. Don't play someone not fit, this gives the injured time to recover and the chance to shine to someone else.
2. Good point on our midfield not kicking enough goals but if we are always looking to switch play on our backline we will always be looking to deliver the ball 35 to 50 mtrs out unless someone runs through the lines which then exposes our lack of speed and produces turnovers.
3.All for blooding new talent but from what I have seen Allen looks a bit a slow but could improve as long as it is not a genetic condition, Gards is an all Australian ruckman and should play that role resting on the bench or forward pocket, Raph and Kosi? who knows only time will tell where they are best suited to playing but Kosi seems certain for ruck/forward even though his most consistent form was chb despite flashes of brilliance as a roaming half forward, Raph one of those guys who looks like hes going half pace unless your playing along side him, still could be anything.

felixleo
Club Player

And further to point 2, if Clarkson's tactics continue to succeed we will not see players running through the lines but running and kicking to low density opposition areas(sic)

MasonCJ2
Club Player

Horrible position this leaves us in. Gehrig is just an absolute liabilty. He may have some good games left in him, but how many poor ones does he have left. Kosi is an undoubted ruckman. Looked good in the second half, and like Ottens, is too big to play forward consistently. Could be a very very fine ruckman. Problem is, if Kosi is in the Ruck, Roo injured and Gehrig effectively a man down, not sure who we are kicking to. The initial post is probably spot on ... this might force a change in game plan and might force us to find either some alternatives or a different game plan where we run the ball a bit more. Again, the problem is whether we have the players to run the ball through the midfield in that way. Lenny and Ball do so much 1 percent stuff that there is a lot of pressure on the likes of Gram and Montagna to stream through the midfield. Maybe Goddard, together with Schneider, should play more wing-ish to assist.

And Raph ... not sure anything need be said - it's either forward or Casey for a while. Not even the capacity to hold the ball up in the last 20 seconds. Nearly cost us the game. Just ask any supporter from another club what they think of Raph might give those desperados the answer they need about Raph.

We are a sniff
Buckets
SS Life Member

MasonCJ2 wrote:Horrible position this leaves us in. Gehrig is just an absolute liabilty. He may have some good games left in him, but how many poor ones does he have left. Kosi is an undoubted ruckman. Looked good in the second half, and like Ottens, is too big to play forward consistently. Could be a very very fine ruckman. Problem is, if Kosi is in the Ruck, Roo injured and Gehrig effectively a man down, not sure who we are kicking to. The initial post is probably spot on ... this might force a change in game plan and might force us to find either some alternatives or a different game plan where we run the ball a bit more. Again, the problem is whether we have the players to run the ball through the midfield in that way. Lenny and Ball do so much 1 percent stuff that there is a lot of pressure on the likes of Gram and Montagna to stream through the midfield. Maybe Goddard, together with Schneider, should play more wing-ish to assist.

And Raph ... not sure anything need be said - it's either forward or Casey for a while. Not even the capacity to hold the ball up in the last 20 seconds. Nearly cost us the game. Just ask any supporter from another club what they think of Raph might give those desperados the answer they need about Raph.

I think that G may have a bigger say if Roo isn't in the 50 with him because our midfielders constantly search for him...if this doesnt work then questions may need to be asked!
However i still believe that this could be a golden opportunity to give Big Mac and Allen a go up forward! Also allow us to see how players like BJ and Raph could fair up forward instead of down back.

Huzzad
Club Player

As much as I love Roo, he hasn't been at his best. Down to just Kosi and G frees up some space and both can cover it well. We have mini roo in Charlie who can lead up the wings and off HF and get it into Kosi. Frase and Milne. We also saw Gardi playing out of the square in the 2nd half so we will not be short of tall timber. Not sure if I would call this a blessing, but I honestly think we have depth to cover his loss, so I am by no means panicing.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It's just fabulous that Riewoldt is out.

Now, if we could just get Chips, Joey, Lenny, Kosi and Ball out of our top 22, we'd be dead certs for the premiership.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
chook23
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:It's just fabulous that Riewoldt is out.

Now, if we could just get Chips, Joey, Lenny, Kosi and Ball out of our top 22, we'd be dead certs for the premiership.

many of those type of posts have had my eyes rolling as well.....

saint4life
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

WE've had the most talented list in the universe for the last 4 years. Cough bulls***.

Losing Riewoldt means...not much i guess. As a team we've been playing like anus and if we have to rely on a star like the volt it's not a good sign.

So what's my point? Who cares?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:WE've had the most talented list in the universe for the last 4 years. Cough bulls***.

Losing Riewoldt means...not much i guess. As a team we've been playing like anus and if we have to rely on a star like the volt it's not a good sign.

you ever stood on a corner and yelled at people walking past?

groupie1
Club Player

G made a nice classical lead for a good mark and a good kick at goal against Richmond. With quality ball like that there's nothing saying he couldn't do that ten times a game. G's game will be determined by the way it's delivered to him PERIOD. if they kick well to him on a lead he'll mark and kick it. if they don't he won't. I'm not sure how he becomes a liability - were Dunstall or even more so Lockett liabilities?

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

If it's taken this long for riewoldt to find form how long is it gunna take when he gets back from injury mate

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
brown-coat wrote:WE've had the most talented list in the universe for the last 4 years. Cough bulls***.

you ever stood on a corner and yelled at people walking past?
Is this post funny coz i just laughed my arse off reading it......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock:
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Don't know where this is coming from. We'll be missing Riewoldt and possibly Hudghton, King and Baker from the best 22 (Gilbert/Maguire also if you count them).

That means we'll have at least 20 of our best 25 to pick from. Plenty of teams are far worse off than us injury-wise.

hotdish
Club Player

Remember the last time roo was out for an extended period?

Justin Koschitzke got 3-4 BOGs in a row and kicked about 20 goals!

We can only hope he reproduces the goods in the next month!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Maybe the best thing?

Buckets wrote:2. Without Roo it means that we have to find avenues to goal, this means we may be less Roo reliant when he comes back into the team, gives other forwards the chance to step up and be counted like Milne was tonight. Everyone complains about the fact that we always seem to just concentrate all our attcks through him without him their maybe our midfield will learn not too always go looking for him!
agree.

obviously we are a better team with riewoldt in it and i know that you think that too.

but this latest blow gives us a chance to look again at a forward set up that is often predictable and easily-countered.

i hope the club is looking at it as a similar opportunity rather than holding their head in their hands and wailing "no roo ... we're all going to die".

crisis creates opportunity and this is a chance for

allen to grab a spot;

for kosi to show that he deserves a key forward position;

or even for fraser to show the world that he is not finished as a footballer.

if we can find some others who can stand up and kick us a winning score then think of the luxury of being able to use riewoldt further up the ground

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Buckets wrote:2. Without Roo it means that we have to find avenues to goal, this means we may be less Roo reliant when he comes back into the team, gives other forwards the chance to step up and be counted like Milne was tonight. Everyone complains about the fact that we always seem to just concentrate all our attcks through him without him their maybe our midfield will learn not too always go looking for him!
agree.

obviously we are a better team with riewoldt in it and i know that you think that too.

but this latest blow gives us a chance to look again at a forward set up that is often predictable and easily-countered.

i hope the club is looking at it as a similar opportunity rather than holding their head in their hands and wailing "no roo ... we're all going to die".

crisis creates opportunity and this is a chance for

allen to grab a spot;

for kosi to show that he deserves a key forward position;

or even for fraser to show the world that he is not finished as a footballer.

if we can find some others who can stand up and kick us a winning score then think of the luxury of being able to use riewoldt further up the ground
I reckon unless Allen, Kosi and G average 6 goals a game then Rooy will play forward every week and so he shoudl. Clearly our best forword. Find spots for the guys with less ability if height is a problem.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Lovely rolling eyes do you actually have anything decent to add or are you just content at putting the thoughts of others down?
Did you actually read my post at all? Where did i actually say that i was happy for Roo to be out? I actually don't think i ever said such the thing...maybe you need to improve your comprehension skills!
The post is to do with the fact that it is not all doom and gloom with Roo out. Yeah sure it is not the best however it allows for:
a) others to finally take the next step
b) the midfield will hopefully learn that Roo is not the only avenue to goal...hell they could try actually kicking more themselves and hell there is more than Roo in the forward line!
c) the young kids who we have picked up have the chance to show us what ability they have!

oh and right back at ya MB :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I reckon unless Allen, Kosi and G average 6 goals a game then Rooy will play forward every week and so he shoudl. Clearly our best forword. Find spots for the guys with less ability if height is a problem.
clearly our best footballer and often wasted in the forward line with two or three opponents monstering him. just think how devastating he could be freed up to run around a bit and how good that would be for the club. :wink:

Buckets
SS Life Member

I reckon unless Allen, Kosi and G average 6 goals a game then Rooy will play forward every week and so he shoudl. Clearly our best forword. Find spots for the guys with less ability if height is a problem.[/quote]

Roo will not be able to win us a flag from his own boot alone! And they dont need to average 6 goals a game hell if they can average the 3 goals that Roo has so far this year and the midfield start to kick a few more then i would be more than very happy...because it means that we have opened another avenue to goal other than the predictable kick it to Roo gameplan that we have had for the past 1 and 1/2 years!

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

cant possibly see any real reason this is a blessing

gonna be very tough now *sigh.. to find the linkage from HF to FF