2006 excitement machines, bring back GT etc, etc

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RH35
Club Player

2006 excitement machines, bring back GT etc, etc

Just had a look at our 2006 results because I thought I was going crazy and had a bad perception of us back then with the comments from GT and others on this forum and in the press. We played 11 times against other finals teams for 3 wins and 8 losses. We beat the Doggies (who finished 7th and we always bullied back then) and Collingwood (who scraped into the 8 and were going poorly, got smacked by doggies in first final) as well as the Swans in the wet up in Sydney (Sydney shocking in the wet). We kicked 19 goals against the Pies and 14 against the doggies. Aside from that, we averaged 9.4 goals against other finals teams. Yep, genuine excitement machines, GT game plan was a cracker. Could never recall decent teams just dropping 2 guys behind the ball and us kicking it to them all day...

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

because we needed another thread on GT v RL right? :roll:

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, things were going gangbusters in 2006, bring back Thomas so he can continue to recruit players for a decade of sustained success

In the last half of 2006 when apparently we were having a strong finish to the season, we played three games against that year's top 4

lost to Adelaide by 63 points at the DOME

lost to West Coast by 39 points at the DOME

lost to Freo by 68 points at Subiaco

actually if it wasn't for Motlop missing from 20 metres out directly in front after the siren against Port and Jason Johnson missing an even easier goal from 15 metres out directly in front against Essendon we would have possibly not even have made the finals

fact is we were already in decline in 2006

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
spert
Saintsational Legend

At the start of 2006 in the pre-season games I could see the intensity level had dropped from the previous two seasons and thought it was a worrying sign. No real changes that I could see in the way GT was doing things -same gameplans etc.