Top 4 list but poorly coached?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Top 4 list but poorly coached?

I keep hearing how good our list is on paper.

I keep hearing how we shoud be able to threaten Geelong.

I've always thought we have a great list but i've just discovered we are so over hyped it's not fuuny.

name our top 10 and see how it falls away

Riewoldt
Hayes
Dalsanto
Ball
Fisher
Hudghton
Montagna
Koschitzke
Goddard
Harvey

That's in no particular order and just my opinion. My thoughts on that list is we have alot of players who are inconsistant and live off reputation more than performance.

Bartell
Ablett
Ling
Enright
Corey
Scarlett
Selwood
Chapman
Selwood
Harley
Milburn

That's 11 didn't wanna drop 1 of those guys but i think it shows our list up so i don't wanna hear anymore we could be as good as geelong
Last edited by LENNY LEADS THE WAY on Sun 27 Apr 2008 12:27am, edited 1 time in total.

100 percent behind the saints 100 percent of the time
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Re: Top 4 list but poorly coached?

We need to take off our rose coloured glasses

SainterX
Club Player

Apart from Ablett though how many of their players in these lists are vastly superior to ours?
Scarlett is not that much better than Hudghton
and who has Geelong got comparable to Roo and Kosi?
You did not add him but Baker can shut down guys just as well as Ling.
Bartel wasn't always as good as he is now and I defy anyone to say that Dal Santo could not improve just as much.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
TAGHLAO
Club Player

Your dead right. Media keeps telling us how good we are, but as much as it kills me to say, our bottom 7 or 8 just don't give us enough.

Mooksy
Club Player

Three words; Not. Good. Enough.

JeffDunne

Name me one player on our list in career best form.

Actually, name me one player that's improved under Lyon's coaching.

Our list to a man has plateaued or gone backwards since Lyon took over as coach.

Yes, we are being poorly coached.
Last edited by JeffDunne on Sun 27 Apr 2008 12:34am, edited 1 time in total.

devil saint
Club Player

SainterX wrote:Apart from Ablett though how many of their players in these lists are vastly superior to ours?
Scarlett is not that much better than Hudghton
and who has Geelong got comparable to Roo and Kosi?
You did not add him but Baker can shut down guys just as well as Ling.
Bartel wasn't always as good as he is now and I defy anyone to say that Dal Santo could not improve just as much.
Ha ha. To think that Bakes could be as good as Ling is hilarious! Ling shuts down players through his strength and ability to hurt his opponent with damaging possessions of his own. Bakes has never been damaging in that way.
Dal Santo and Bartel were drafted at the same time and has played about the same amount of games - Bartel is far more consistent and he is often tagged.

I love the saints but I refuse to be delusional!

SainterX
Club Player

It's funny but when Geelong were on the slide their own supporters would say the same thing about their list. The same thing is happening to West Coast a little also now. It's just so much easier to ignore the negatives (and every team has them) when your team is firing.
How many of you can nominate players not doing their bit in the first 10 games of '04 ? Not many but we can all be sure there were guys not giving 100%.

SainterX
Club Player

Ha ha. To think that Bakes could be as good as Ling is hilarious! Ling shuts down players through his strength and ability to hurt his opponent with damaging possessions of his own. Bakes has never been damaging in that way.
Dal Santo and Bartel were drafted at the same time and has played about the same amount of games - Bartel is far more consistent and he is often tagged.
Bakes does the job, that's the point I was making. As for Nicky D and Bartel Dal Santo pick 13 and Bartel pick 8 so both teams had a crack at both players. What's to say Jimmy would have been as good under our gameplan and vice versa.

Add another to your list. Milburn is not even close to Harvs in talent.

devil saint
Club Player

SainterX wrote:
Bakes does the job, that's the point I was making. As for Nicky D and Bartel Dal Santo pick 13 and Bartel pick 8 so both teams had a crack at both players. What's to say Jimmy would have been as good under our gameplan and vice versa.

Agree with the last point, Milburn is a hack!

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

SainterX wrote:

Milburn is a gun and gets nowhere near the credit he deserves i was pleased he made AA last year a truly reliable defender he's as good as chips if u take off ur rose colour glasses

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Name me one player on our list in career best form.

Our list to a man has plateaued or gone backwards since Lyon took over as coach.

Sad thing is that the two hardest at it players were Harvey and Max....which blows your Bring Back GT thought....

We have too many players that cannot deliver near their best most weeks...too may that have gone missing post streak..

Banger once again tonight along with Max should what a professional player can do..

(Which is not to say that some like Roo did not play well...but others like Dal went missing).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Name me one player on our list in career best form.

Name me 1 player on Geelongs list that doesnt and cant execute the coachs game plan???

There was 1...but hes now playing for us cause any Geelong fan will tell you his skills aint up to it to get a game at Geelong....

Our cattle aint as skilled or as good- especially DEEP.

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

saintsRrising wrote:....which blows your Bring Back GT thought....
Now you're reading minds? :shock:

Scary.

SainterX
Club Player

GT may have been a halfwit and Ross Lyon may be a rocket scientist but we prospered under GT because our gameplan was simple. Who ever said things have to be complicated.

Simon Templar
Club Player

top 4 list but poorly coached......at the moment !!!

We play like we aren't good enough. Lyon has far better players here than what he had at the Swannees. They had to develop that shut down style. Shut 'em down then counter attack. Not good enough to win a shoot out !!!

Saints don't have to for chrissake. Rossco, get with the program, expand your ideas..........we don't have to play like losers to win a game. We should be playing like winners. They look god awful tentative for much of the game.

What are you going to do son?

Go you good things....!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:....which blows your Bring Back GT thought....
Now you're reading minds? :shock:

Scary.
Problem is no one knows with you Jeff - you cant muster an opinion. Should we sack the coach Jeff is that what your advocating quite limply I might add??????

Give us an original thought so we dont have to guess FFS!!! Its not that hard... :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote:Sad thing is that the two hardest at it players were Harvey and Max....which blows your Bring Back GT thought....
You were the first to mention the old coach in this thread. He's not coming back. Move on.

The point JD made is valid. Too many of our players aren't playing as well under Lyon as they have past coaches. The only guys who have really improved since 2006 are Joey and Gilbo. Max is playing at AA level. Most other guys have either stagnated or regressed.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Simon Templar wrote:top 4 list but poorly coached......at the moment !!!

We play like we aren't good enough. Lyon has far better players here than what he had at the Swannees. They had to develop that shut down style. Shut 'em down then counter attack. Not good enough to win a shoot out !!!

Saints don't have to for chrissake. Rossco, get with the program, expand your ideas..........we don't have to play like losers to win a game. We should be playing like winners. They look god awful tentative for much of the game.

What are you going to do son?
Look into ur head not ur heart we are not a top 4 list we are around 6 to 12th
Last edited by LENNY LEADS THE WAY on Sun 27 Apr 2008 12:56am, edited 1 time in total.

LENNY LEADS THE WAY
Club Player

Preseason we was going on and on about our depth fact is we have none

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

we'd easily be top for if our coach was one of Thompson, Clarkson, Eade, Knights, Malthouse, even fricken Wallace or Ratten for god sake!

why is Ross doing this to us, WHY???

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Red
Club Player

I can't believe people still think we are top 4. Agreed we have talent but

for the uninitiated out there the game isn't played on paper.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:I can't believe people still think we are top 4. Agreed we have talent but

for the uninitiated out there the game isn't played on paper.
its sad red but true.

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The players are not robots. Ross Lyon wants a certain game style to be played by robots.

We play our best football with passion, and this is something that Ross Lyon has neglected since coming to the coaches box. Where was he at 3/4 time when our boys needed revving up? Pointing and waving at a whiteboard.

It may be the future of coaching, but not just yet, at least not with this group of players.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The list is over rated, it has been for years,probably when we stopped drafting the best kids and started using our good draft picks on hacks from other clubs,something Hawthorn didn't fall for.....

There's always next year.............doesn't that sound original...

:roll:

Season 2024 is where RTB is showing the footy world his grasp of the modern game. :shock: