Top 4 not top 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Top 4 not top 2

Silver lining if you like. But top 4 should be our goal given the woeful performance of the interstate clubs (I'm sobbing so hard - they have only won six of the last seven flags! - Boo Hoo!)

But while every win is crucial, this is the "mostest crucialest". There , I hope that endears me to the illiterate yr 11's.

bozza1980
Club Player

Top two should remain our goal.

Whether this is realistic or not may be debatable but while it is still possible that has to be our target.

That said, with the ever increasing liklihood of Victorian teams finishing 1 & 2, the disadvantage of finishing 3rd or 4th is less than it was in 2004-5 when it meant an interstate assignment.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Its still early in the season, and who knows what will happen..Ablett might do a knee at Geelong..Scarlett might get injured, Franklin might do a hammy at Hawthorn..then it all gets a bit shakey for them....the Saints might start to gel and get a few big wins ....who knows top 8 top 4 top 2??

esaint66
SS Life Member

Thing about 97. Half way through the season we didnt have lofty ambitions just focusing on makeing it and with st kilda my philosophy and many other peoples im sure is that if you have great expectations you will be greatly let down in the end.

Dont set the bar to high, but do expect something.

aussiejones
Club Player

As long as we keep in touch and gel at the business end of the season....

No good being front runners in April May .... we need to be in form in july Aug .....playing team football.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

exactly..remmeber Hawthorn a few years ago?

Won the first 8 then crashed out first week of the finals IIRC

St K in 98

Adelaide in 06

Flags are not handed out at the end of Round 6

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bozza1980
Club Player

saint66au wrote:exactly..remmeber Hawthorn a few years ago?

Won the first 8 then crashed out first week of the finals IIRC

St K in 98

Adelaide in 06

Flags are not handed out at the end of Round 6
That was a big year for the Dorks, I remember when Hawthorn and Essendon played at the Dome in Rd 9, both sided 8-0 and there was talk that we would be back to the 80's!!!

They did slump badly, culminating with a loss to to us in Rd 22, however in the finals they recovered pretty well making the prelim and losing to Essendon by 7 points.

St Kilda in 98 is a great example though, we were on fire 13 & 2 or there abouts after 15 rounds then only able to win 2 of our next 10.

The swans in 2005 is a good example of the opposite, the slow build, struggled to get out of the blocks but were nigh on impossible when the real stuff started in September.

plumtire
Club Player

Top 4 not top 2

:roll: Errrr :!: :?: Did I miss fifteen or so rounds of footy? WHO predicted the Cats for premiers at this stage last year? OR the Swans for the flag after six rounds in 05?
I'm not QUITE sure who said it but perhaps it may be useful for us to "take it a game at a time" :wink: Its all wasted energy you know!

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

What if... Hawthorn finish 1st, with Geelong 2nd, and we are playing our final round match against Essendon (Sunday Twilight Round 22), and are up by 20 points at 3/4 time. Do we then let the bombers win so we can finish 4th and take on the hawks, or finish 3rd and take on Geelong?

I'm of the belief that you must win every game possible, and not worry about your opponent until the game is over.

It actually brings up an interesting point, as we are the final match of round 22, and all other games should be decided by then, if our position on the ladder can't change, do we then rest a whole bunch of players, cop the fine, and have them rested ready for week 1 of finals?

Richter
SS Life Member

Given our underwhelmong performance last year, I would happily take top 8 thank you very much.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
battye
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Given our underwhelmong performance last year, I would happily take top 8 thank you very much.
Agreed.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD