GTrain back in????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

GTrain back in????

Well I personally would have preferred not to have brought the big fella back in...

However the looming likeliehood that King and Gardi may not be available means that Kosi is likely to have to play a fair bit in the ruck.

I prefer only a two tall forwad structure...and not three.

However I also see it as you don't want two big forwards that do not exert enough forward pressure.

ie it is GTrain or Kosi in the forward line and not both as permanent forwards.

However in GTrain's favour this week is that PA do not have a very good Full Back option.

These two factors open the door for the big fella....who can still be very dangerous on full backs not at the top of their game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

dare I say it but with the port pair of brogan and lade I would be bringing rix in

kosi and blake will get pumped by those two

Saint Mik
Club Player

He will be back and like Harvey did lastweek end the Gtrain will prove all his critics wrong and kick a bagfull of goals.

NEVER WRITE OFF GOOD PLAYERS.

He has had it told to him from RL from the so called rest and now he will return with a performance otherwise thats curtains for him.

Gtrain to kick 6 goals this week and then after that all we have to do is listen to blokes like Dermott and GT back pedaling and crawling back under the rock of no knowledge covered in FIGJAM.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

Well since I've read that McEvoy has been sensational - according to Casey Coach - do we bring in the youngster, rather than the G Train?

At least we then would have another ruck/forward, rather than just G as a forward, and then allows Blake to relegate down to 3rd ruck.

Just a thought

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully a stint in the stands is the equivalent of a hot poker in the right place to fire him up :lol: I'd love to see the G-Train back, but I wanna see him running!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Allen's 6 goals in the VFL would have to put him in line for selection on par or ahead of Gehrig if he can back it up with similar performances over the next few games.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: GTrain back in????

saintsRrising wrote:However the looming likeliehood that King and Gardi may not be available means that Kosi is likely to have to play a fair bit in the ruck.
only trouble with kosi rucking is we will lack a forward who can take a contested mark.

perhaps gehrig at chf and roo stays at ff?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:However the looming likeliehood that King and Gardi may not be available means that Kosi is likely to have to play a fair bit in the ruck.
only trouble with kosi rucking is we will lack a forward who can take a contested mark.

I don't know if Gtrain still has the tank for running around at CHF.

As you know I like Roo at FF....but Roo is a very good contested mark and can obviously play CHF..

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

IMO G.Train should be parked at FF and never venture more than 20 to 30 metres from the goal square on the lead.

huffing and puffing on the HBF is useless.

if his player runs off him, let someone else pick him up because GTrain on his own in the F50 presents a real problem on the rebound.

Don't let players drag him out of the F50.

if they want him to run around like reiwoldt, then he's just going to struggle to 10 possessions and 1 goal a game.

playing a lynch type role he'll get his 60 to 70 plus.
Last edited by Dan Warna on Mon 21 Apr 2008 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I don't know if Gtrain still has the tank for running around at CHF.
probably right. that's why he's hard to fit in the structure. he's pretty much a one-position player now.

i'm just loathe to see the predictable riewoldt chf/fraser ff set up that hasn't been good enough in the past. neither is a particularly good contested mark.

if we go with it i'm predicting we'll fall down across half forward and we'll be smashed on the rebound.

we need to find a way that kosi can play forward.

it's a shame that mcevoy is still so green because i'm assuming that he's not considered physically mature enough to come in and ruck.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:IMO G.Train should be parked at FF and never venture more than 20 to 30 metres from the goal square on the lead.

Agree....if you are going to play him he needs to stay near goals.

G isa beautiful shot at goal...and against the inexperienced PA likely Fbs I would rate him a greater chance of succeeding.

The week lay off has also hopefuly pricked his pride a bit to hopefully have him really focus.

markp
Saintsational Legend

My guess is it will take a lot for him to get picked again. If others are picked to replace injured players ahead of him it will send a message loud and clear.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

we need to find a way that kosi can play forward.

Trouble is at present the options for rucj are Kosi, Rix and Blake. All 3 are going to struggle gainst Brogan and lade.

Kosi can go forward when he is not rucking....but I think we need him as the around the ground ruck for while Rix can contest the bounces he is useless around the ground (if he plays..and if Gardi and King ae both out I think he is alikely in).

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Trouble is at present the options for rucj are Kosi, Rix and Blake. All 3 are going to struggle gainst Brogan and Lade
i know he's lacking in centimetres (so is blake), but goose can pinch hit there, or has done before. at least he'd give you something around the ground, unlike rix

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:ie it is GTrain or Kosi in the forward line and not both as permanent forwards.
i think that g-train ff/kosi chf (riewoldt to wing) can work.

i think that riewoldt ff/kosi chf (fraser to casey) can work.

... but riewoldt chf/gehrig ff (kosi to ruck) is a worry.

for one thing it is the predictable structure that hasn't been good enough in the past and most teams know how to counter,

both fraser and riewoldt are good on the lead but neither is a particularly good contested mark.

roo chf also means that you can be guaranteed that we'll direct nearly every move forward at him and that, to me, is a major fault with our gameplan than we must fix if we are to threaten this year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:ie it is GTrain or Kosi in the forward line and not both as permanent forwards.
i think that g-train ff/kosi chf (riewoldt to wing) can work.

i think that riewoldt ff/kosi chf (fraser to casey) can work.

... but riewoldt chf/gehrig ff (kosi to ruck) is a worry.

for one thing it is the predictable structure that hasn't been good enough in the past and most teams know how to counter,

both fraser and riewoldt are good on the lead but neither is a particularly good contested mark.

roo chf also means that you can be guaranteed that we'll direct nearly every move forward at him and that, to me, is a major fault with our gameplan than we must fix if we are to threaten this year.
Roo isnt going to play on the wing. Get a new theme. And still dont understand the kick it to Roo thing. Didnt we kick it to Roo in the first 10 games in 2004.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Didnt we kick it to Roo in the first 10 games in 2004.
no. in fact we didn't.

we had many avenues to goal and riewoldt was just one. our dependence on him didn't really kick in until hamill went down injured.

goals were coming from everywhere. gehrig kicked 100 that year for a start. milne kicked plenty. hamill, guerra and kosi were big contributors.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 21 Apr 2008 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

milne and geurra crumbed beautifully of reiwoldt and FG.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
no. in fact we didn't.

we had many avenues to goal and riewoldt was just one. our dependence on him didn't really kick in until hamill went down injured.

goals were coming from everywhere. gehrig kicked 100 that year for a start. milne kicked plenty. hamill, guerra and kosi were big contributers
We still have Milne. Not sure Kosi was a big contributer at all. I am pretty sure we still kicked it to him as much as we do now.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
no. in fact we didn't.

goals were coming from everywhere. gehrig kicked 100 that year for a start. milne kicked plenty. hamill, guerra and kosi were big contributers
We still have Milne. Not sure Kosi was a big contributer at all. I am pretty sure we still kicked it to him as much as we do now.
i've got the first 10 on dvd here and i can tell you there was nowhere near the reliance that we now place on him.

other guys were backing themselves to have a shot, like we saw last week with riewoldt away from chf.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 21 Apr 2008 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
no. in fact we didn't.

i've got the first 10 on dvd here and i can tell you there was nowhere near the reliance that we now place on him.
Did you just go and watch them in that short time.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Did you just go and watch them in that short time.
good one smart alec. :lol: i've watched them before. you can have a lend if you want (serious offer). you might learn something.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

How I'd play it:

#1 ruck: Kosi
#2 ruck: Gardiner

FF: Gehrig
CHF: Riewoldt
Third forward: Gardiner
Small forwards: Milne, Schneider, Clarke

==========

But I've got a sickening feeling he'll go with a Gardiner-Blake ruck combo...

I'd rather have Kosi up forward, as I think he's a better FF than Gehrig and his contested work and aerial ability is first class. Kicking will come in time (Gehrig used to be a very, very average shot when he came up from full back) as well.

However, with King out and Gardiner possibly not 100%, we need Kosi playing ruck. Hell, I'd rather Rix or McEvoy in the ruck over Blake.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

GTrain a certainty. He'll stick it up 'em!

AlpineStars
Club Player

I think we proved on the weekend our forward set up is much better without G, would have loved him to go play Bendigo and get a bagfull but he didn't how can he improve without playing? also saw Ferg in the best players again for Scorps should he get a chance?

Wake me up when September ends.