Match Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Match Review

This was easily the best game we've played in 2008 and probably the most attacking game we've played with Lyon as coach.

Unlike recent weeks, we played one quarter of bad footy instead of one quarter of good footy. The pressure and one percenters were excellent (bar the third quarter), our skills were generally reasonable and we didn't rely on any small group of players to get us over the line. However we have to remember that we played an under manned, under sized and poorly skilled Essendon side and had very little opposition for the majority of the game.

We were pretty good in the clearances again, but by no means did we dominate. King going off injured hurt us a bit but Kosi held his own in the ruck and despite popular opinion Blake is capable of at least negating the opposition ruckman. Lenny Hayes was an absolute workhorse all night and would be leading our B&F. Ball continued his brilliant tackling game and managed a couple of goals. Armo proved in the NAB Cup that he should be in the side and I have no idea why it has taken him this long to get a game - he will be an absolute gun and could be a chance for the Rising Star. Harvs played his best game for the year.

Max Hudghton again proved that he is the best negating defender in the competition and absolutely slaughter the Breezer. Sam Fisher was great as the loose man and Brendon Goddard's kicking is just freakish. He also looks bigger, faster and more confident than ever.

The forward line worked fairly well but goalkicking is still a serious problem. Milney worked extremely hard and had a hand in at least 5 goals (could have kicked 5 himself if he was a bit more selfish). Roo presented all night and had a good game overall, but got nothing from the umps and struggled to get free of Ryder. Kosi had a pretty good game as a ruckman drifting forward.

Jason Blake was handy to have in the team as the extra ruck option, but he is not playing at the same level as in 2007. Clint Jones again did nothing but kick it over his teammate's head and horribly shank an easy shot at goal. Goose doesn't look up to the pace of AFL footy. Dempster looked better than last week and is definitely better suited to playing on small forwards rather than bigger players who can monster him.

Changes for next week (keeping in mind RL's 2 change policy)

OUT: King (inj), Jones
IN: M.Gardiner, Baker

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Id hope Schneider comes in next week

Before Im 85
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintsrus wrote:Id hope Schneider comes in next week
Would think a hammy strain in 3 weeks. Especially with Schneider's history.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cannot agree about Kosi holding his own in the ruck. They kicked 6 in a row before he finally put Blake in the ruck and then we got back on top. Kosi's ruck work was poor at best.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Surely between Charlie Gardiner and Clinton Jones it is Gehrig who'll need to fight for a spot in our best 22!?? Surely?

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Cannot agree about Kosi holding his own in the ruck. They kicked 6 in a row before he finally put Blake in the ruck and then we got back on top. Kosi's ruck work was poor at best.
they kicked six in a row and we were unable to reply because riewoldt was struggling without kosi beside him.

it went in there five times and was swept away five times with riewoldt playing a lone hand. i counted.

Zippy
Club Player

Good review, but a bit hard on goose, who stopped his man OK.

Jones and dempster are the ones closest to the edge for mine.

Armitage was great.

Charlie Gardiner clearly deserves to keep playing - I don't know how we'll balance the forward line with the G-Train, but Kosi in the ruck and Gehrig/Reiwoldt/Gardiner as tall forwards is worth trying out.

My favourite thing - I don't know if it was my imagination or not, but Ball seemed to be running better and kicking longer - :D

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig will have to come in to fill the spot in the forward line since i think Kosi will be doing alot of rucking (whether M Gardiner comes back in or not)

Baker back, thats a no brainer

I want to keep CJ in the team, very good link up player and knows how to find, and get, the footy

Blake was disappointing for mine, but did come in handy in the ruck

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Cannot agree about Kosi holding his own in the ruck. They kicked 6 in a row before he finally put Blake in the ruck and then we got back on top. Kosi's ruck work was poor at best.
The ruck contests aren't what gave them that spree. The intensity from the whole team dropped away (and they got a couple of freebies from the umps) as it has been all season. And it wasn't just then that Kosi was in the ruck. King hardly played any of the second half, leaving Kos to take the ruck for the majority of the game (including much of the last quarter).

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:Gehrig will have to come in to fill the spot in the forward line since i think Kosi will be doing alot of rucking (whether M Gardiner comes back in or not
we seemed to function a lot better as a team with riewoldt playing close to the goals. didn't fall down across half back as often as we usually do.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
The ruck contests aren't what gave them that spree. The intensity from the whole team dropped away (and they got a couple of freebies from the umps) as it has been all season. And it wasn't just then that Kosi was in the ruck. King hardly played any of the second half, leaving Kos to take the ruck for the majority of the game (including much of the last quarter).
Well king played 5 minutes in the 3rd quarter and we kicked a goal. He then got injured and and Kosi went into the ruck and they kicked 6 in a row. Maybe coincidence but to me we got killed out of the middle whilst he rucked.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:
Well king played 5 minutes in the 3rd quarter and we kicked a goal. He then got injured and and Kosi went into the ruck and they kicked 6 in a row. Maybe coincidence but to me we got killed out of the middle whilst he rucked.
we were smashed on the rebound out of defence with riewoldt trying to do it all on his own. needed kosi down there too

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
The_Dud wrote:Gehrig will have to come in to fill the spot in the forward line since i think Kosi will be doing alot of rucking (whether M Gardiner comes back in or not
we seemed to function a lot better as a team with riewoldt playing close to the goals. didn't fall down across half back as often as we usually do.
Roo can't play as the sole forward, its just not possible

C Gardiner will never be able to fill that role, G will be perfect to play close to goal in the times Kosi is in the ruck or off the ground

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
nicko016
Club Player

Losing King was quite a big loss to us as he was having another very solid game for us. He had 8 touches and 18 hitouts in about a half and had some real quality taps. While our midfield and whole team lost some intesity especially through the midfield if King was still there putting it down the thoats of the mids it would of been easier to maintain intesity because it is must easier to drop off when your chasing the ball. However, Kosi was serviceable in the ruck without being dominant. Doesn't win a whole lots of taps but does produce some good taps. Was good around the ground but was beaten by Hille who worked extremely hard. Blake tries hard in the ruck but does it tough. He has to take front position in most situations meaning he can only really tap it in front of him which limits his effectiveness.

By god, I hope that Gardiner is back because we really need one of King or Gardiner. If Gardiner comes back, it mightn't be such a bad thing that King won't be there becuase he'll get much more of the workload and will be able to have much more opportunity. With Gardiner out of the team King has had a much bigger workload and has played some very good footy in the last 2-3 weeks. However, if he doesn't come back it could be trouble. It'll be interesting to see who gets picked. If he doesn't play it will then be interesting to see if Gehrig plays. Becuase of Kosi has to ruck a large load we probably need another tall forward. However, Rix could be a chance to come back in if Gardy doesn't get up so that Blake doesn't have play second ruck against Lade and Brogan. But if Rix were to play Kosi would then spend a lot more time forward which could then be disruptive i Gehrig were to play also. nevertheless, it will interesting to see what happens but gee, I hope big Gardy is back.

F_Q_F
Club Player

And send Gram to kicking school.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:Roo can't play as the sole forward, its just not possible.
C Gardiner will never be able to fill that role, G will be perfect to play close to goal in the times Kosi is in the ruck or off the ground
could fraser play chf or has that passed him by? it just seemed to me that with riewoldt at ff the team as a whole was attacking the goals more.

we didn't fall down across half back nearly as much as we usually do.

gooner
Club Player

Zippy wrote:
My favourite thing - I don't know if it was my imagination or not, but Ball seemed to be running better and kicking longer - :D

Ball's best game for a long time. Kicked a couple from 40 out and looked a lot more confident in his body. Loved his shepherding.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
The_Dud wrote:Roo can't play as the sole forward, its just not possible.
could fraser play chf or has that passed him by? it just seemed to me that with riewoldt at ff the team as a whole was attacking the goals more.

we didn't fall down across half back nearly as much as we usually do.

Im not so sure the structure was better tonight but what was better was the forward pressure and that was due to us not retreating into defence as soon as the Dons got the ball and isnt it amazing because we actually didnt run straight back into defence it allowed our onballers to kick more goals then they probably have in 3 years.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:it allowed our onballers to kick more goals then they probably have in 3 years.
for once we had a good spread of goalkickers. interesting that it should coincide with riewoldt NOT being at chf.

perhaps with him deep in the forward line they feel they have the option to take a ping themselves rather than always look for him.

they have the choice of going straight over his head.

you know this is a pet subject of mine but this was very significant i thought.

saint64
Club Player

Zippy wrote:dempster are the ones closest to the edge for mine.
I thought Dempster was really good tonight. Much better than last week.

savatage
SS Life Member

saint64 wrote:
Zippy wrote:dempster are the ones closest to the edge for mine.
I thought Dempster was really good tonight. Much better than last week.
Dempster was VERY good. Did a lot of one percenters too.

Richter
SS Life Member

Excellent review as usual msg.

I agree with plugger re Kosi in the ruck though - he looked hopeless when up against Hille. The situation only really improved when they mercifully put Laycock in the ruck for much of the final quarter.

Goose quiet, but he's hardly played any footy for what, 18 months now? Will take him a while to get back to his old self.

Lol "the breezer"! :D Max absolutely slaughtered him - men against boys stuff. :lol:

CJ again a headless chook, but he puts his body on the line - I suppose that Bakes coming back for him though would allow Leigh Fisher to go back to defence and that opens up the likes of Gilbert/BJ/Blake to rotate through CHF.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Excellent review as usual msg.

I agree with plugger re Kosi in the ruck though - he looked hopeless when up against Hille. The situation only really improved when they mercifully put Laycock in the ruck for much of the final quarter.

Goose quiet, but he's hardly played any footy for what, 18 months now? Will take him a while to get back to his old self.

Lol "the breezer"! :D Max absolutely slaughtered him - men against boys stuff. :lol:

CJ again a headless chook, but he puts his body on the line - I suppose that Bakes coming back for him though would allow Leigh Fisher to go back to defence and that opens up the likes of Gilbert/BJ/Blake to rotate through CHF.
I concur, and in relation to Goose - I dont care if I don't notice him at all for the next 6 games, as I didn't notice him tonight. Plenty of game time, no injury to him - solid return and by game 16 100%.

Put my votes in too early I think as watching Max later - he was just awesome, absolutely flogged Lloyd - who cares if he was underdone, Max still flogged the Captain - psych victory was absolute.

I am growing to like CJ more and more but - and my but is a big one - he is not top 22 for mine. But - what a great 22-27 player he is. Fix this blokes kicking (and a few forwards for that matter) and you have a gun. Gives his heart to us.

Blake - another good 22-27 option - but atm with injuries he may be required more.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Clinton Jones puts in, but Baker surely has to take his place. Jones butchered the ball plenty last night, which is something Baker will not do.

Armitage has put a nail in Fiora's coffin with his game. He does all the things that Fiora doesn't - Chase, tackle, shepherd, hitting the packs hard. The only similarity is that they both kick tumble-punts a bit too often. We have been crying out for one extra genuine midfielder to take the heat off Hayes, Ball, and Dal Santo and we may have found our man.

Charlie Gardiner's game was really good. His first half performance was one of the keys to our fluency of movement, and showed up Gehrig's one-dimensional game style. Gehrig may still get his chance against certain teams, though.

Maguire was the invisible man last night, but will be critical against Tredrea next week. He's the only one strong enough to do a job on him. It's a slow road back for him, so we need to be patient.

Gram is just not consistenly hitting the targets, and is failing to cut across the run of his opponents to intercept the ball. There were a few occasions last night where he just tracked opponents when the ball was up for grabs. He needs to be more aggressive and back himself in these instances. He's definitely lacking confidence at the moment, but I'm happy to persevere with him.

My changes for next week, assuming Schneider and gardiner don't come up.

Out: Jones
In: Baker

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Oh, and Gilbert is still looking shaky. His decision making is deteriorating. He'll need to improve over the nex few weeks, or Ferguson may just get his chance.