When was the last Adrenaline rush Saints game you saw??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

When was the last Adrenaline rush Saints game you saw??

Theres been quite a bit of discussion here recently on boring game plans, slow footy and uninspiring matches win or lose. So..when was the last time you went nuts at the end of a game? I reckon these are the kind of games that keep us coming back. In 03 and 04 we had those magic games against Brisbane..but since then? The 05 record breaker v Brissy was great burt verrrry one-sided.

The Adelaide game last year was probably the most exciting, but didnt quite scale the heights of a true "rush" game

Away games? well of course Bangers game last year in Perth..and the win at the SCG in the wet the year before was wonderful too. The 05 Final in Adelaide would qualify too..but I reckon we need every year to have a close win AT HOME against the odds to get everyone up and about and talking...and irts been ages since we've had one

I call em "hug a stranger" games...and I reckon the lack of them might just be affecting our membership

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

spot on.

I was thinking the same.....our lack of "excitement" is severly effecting our crowds, have a look at the pathetic sight of our CS being only half occupied, together with many empty seats around them...compare this to behind Geelong's goal which was chokkers...that really sums out how bad things are for us IMO.

The Banger 350 game was our only stand-out excitement game last year -some dude from Tassie shouted about a dozen beers at Steak Out at Crown where I was watching.....and yes there were plenty of high fives!

St.Kilda is the ultimate bandwagon club......another month of ordinary performances/dull matches will see many home gates of only low 30's at best. We don't have the history of success (ie. cheating) that Carlton has that can draw massive crowds.....albiet the Juddergasm factor is still helping.

We currently don't have any "real" rivalrys to draw in all the neutrals, that go to Carl/Coll, Ess/Coll, Rich/Coll, Ess/Carl etc etc......we were developing it in the 04/05/06 years but it's being blown away since then.

IMO only a flag will reignite the passion/flavour at Saints games and get the bandwagon back, finals footy doesn't do it anymore, not even making Prelim finals.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:spot on.

I was thinking the same.....our lack of "excitement" is severly effecting our crowds, have a look at the pathetic sight of our CS being only half occupied, together with many empty seats around them...compare this to behind Geelong's goal which was chokkers...that really sums out how bad things are for us IMO.

The Banger 350 game was our only stand-out excitement game last year -some dude from Tassie shouted about a dozen beers at Steak Out at Crown where I was watching.....and yes there were plenty of high fives!

St.Kilda is the ultimate bandwagon club......another month of ordinary performances/dull matches will see many home gates of only low 30's at best. We don't have the history of success (ie. cheating) that Carlton has that can draw massive crowds.....albiet the Juddergasm factor is still helping.

We currently don't have any "real" rivalrys to draw in all the neutrals, that go to Carl/Coll, Ess/Coll, Rich/Coll, Ess/Carl etc etc......we were developing it in the 04/05/06 years but it's being blown away since then.

IMO only a flag will reignite the passion/flavour at Saints games and get the bandwagon back, finals footy doesn't do it anymore, not even making Prelim finals.

Must admit strongly disagree.......

Classical image of today's society...............I'm BORED

All wins are great..........80's tell me that.

Yes agree though the style at times in all games..............ie periods of chipping etc....

Lack of genuine contests also does not help.
Last edited by chook23 on Tue 15 Apr 2008 10:43am, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

fair call chook, I was a victim of the 80's Saints footy losses, but unless you're in your 30's it's not the main issue - the oldies (ie mid-40's and older) have some recollection of some good sides of the early 70's and 60's, whilst the Gen Yers were brought up on early 90's/naughties footy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bozza1980
Club Player

In hindsight it wasn't much of a win, but beating the Dees in Rd 1 last year gave me a huge rush, thoughts of Premierships dancing around my little head.

The best wins of recent times, in no particular order, would have to be the two 1 kick wins over the Lions at the Dome 03-04, West Coast at Subi in Harves' 350th, Adelaide in the 2005 Qualifying Final I still get shivers when I remember singing the club song till I was hoarse and there were only St Kilda supporters left at Footy Park.

Persuader
Club Player

This post is very thought provoking....can't think of a 'hug a stranger' home game for quite a while. Do you think this is because we now usually expect to win?

Founding member of the Jason Blake Appreciation Society
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 9:10am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Richter
SS Life Member

I suppose that what it also tells us is that the memory of "the streak" is finally beginning to fade. I can't remember the last time we played and I thought - "this team are worldbeaters" whereas in 2004 and 2005 I often thought that it was just a matter of time before we picked up a flag.

:(

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:whereas in 2004 and 2005 I often thought that it was just a matter of time before we picked up a flag.

:(
I think the players believed that too.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Will this cycle repeat itself though? Say ina couple of years will we back to where we were in 2004/05. I honestly believe its going to take a massive turnaround to make the most of this eyar but part of me still believes it is possible.

Something that really bothers me though is not the "hug a stranger" game but the comeback game. When was the last time we came back from more than five goals down to win a game of footy. I reckon we have to go back to 99 when we came from 40 (?) points down to beat the cats at Pussy Park.

Excellent post Michael. A refreshing change from all those threads about the gameplan. 8-)

noddy

I know its only NAB cup but the GF win against the Morons was Adrenaline rushing for me as was the win in the first round at TD and the win against Carlton . In fact any game the Saints win is a rush for me :)

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

i would have to say any finals saints play in!

* swans Rd 1
*NAB Grand final

Pretty much any game that is down to the wire makes me physically sick watching it.

Go saints in '09!
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

It might sound strange but at the NAB cup game when we piped the Bombers, I didnt go intending to go mental but just the way their fans reacyed braught out the beast in me I spose. I really enjoyed heaing them whinge after the siren.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Buckets
SS Life Member

05 Qualifying Final - Harvey!!!!! What more is needed to be said!
04 Brisbane game - Now that was a hug a stranger moment! Scwarze kicking that goal was just magic will never forget it best game i have ever been to!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I forget when i last saw a Saints game that gave me a woody.....

All the females that sit near me are rather plain......

8-)

Six debutants for the Saints so far in Season 2024. :D
4ever_saint
Club Player

the biggest adrenaline rushing game I can remember in recent times was definately last years win against Fremantle. that game had a lot of excitement and was great to watch. that and, of course, this years nab cup win which was as one of the greatest games in the last two seasons of st.kilda's football.

however, it must be said that, in recent years, there has never been an atmosphere as incredible as round 22, 2005, when milne got 11 straight goals. that still resonates as the greatest show of enthusiasm and the atmosphere was absolutely incredible.

NoMore
Club Player

'The West Coast game was the only game for the whole of last year. Just being close isn't enough. Round 1 this year was close and it was a snooze fest. Football should be entertaining.

Watching St Kilda is the equivelent of watching Ashley Giles bowl from both end for an entire Ashes series, or a Roger Federer acceptance speech, or even worse a Ropss Lyon press conference.

Get rid of Ross before nobody supports the club

Broodruff
Club Player

The game against the Lions, to come back and win by a point. I was there with a mate.
Massive Lions fan, he just about kicked the entire tier down when the siren went.

The game gave me shivers, and watching it back again, it still does. I didnt want to leave the ground that day.

The only other recent game is Harveys 350th.

thequarry
Club Player

Harvey's 350th, but I'd more or less written off the season by then.

Round 22, 2005 against the Lions and then the follow up - Adelaide in the Qualifying Final - were the last genuine buzzes I've had about the Saints.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

The day against Melbourne at the MCG, when the Dees tried to take Roo out in teh first quarter, and Dal kicked 4 whilst they were all attacking Roo.

ANd believe it or not, the original superflood game against teh Swans when Wolf hit the post to draw the game. Shocking game but kept everyone on the edge of their seats.

markinUSA
SS Life Member

It's not exactly the LAST adrenaline rush I saw... but when I think 'adrenaline rush', I do think of Nathan Burke and Brett Cook gang-tackling Corey McKernan, completely fairly, and doing his shoulder. First quarter, if I recall... and I was just thinking... the boys mean business and we're going to the grand final. Definitely a 'hug a stranger' moment for me.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

markinUSA wrote:It's not exactly the LAST adrenaline rush I saw... but when I think 'adrenaline rush', I do think of Nathan Burke and Brett Cook gang-tackling Corey McKernan, completely fairly, and doing his shoulder. First quarter, if I recall... and I was just thinking... the boys mean business and we're going to the grand final. Definitely a 'hug a stranger' moment for me.
that sticks out in my mind as significant as well. Often dig out that 97 prelim to watch "fair dinkum" st.kilda. they came to play and i was certain 97 was our time :(

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:ANd believe it or not, the original superflood game against teh Swans when Wolf hit the post to draw the game. Shocking game but kept everyone on the edge of their seats.
The last quarter of that game was some of the most gripping, intense football I've seen.

Riewoldt was unbelievable and Dal Santo, in just his second game, had 25 touches - and couldn't make the distance to win the game after the siren.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:ANd believe it or not, the original superflood game against teh Swans when Wolf hit the post to draw the game. Shocking game but kept everyone on the edge of their seats.
The last quarter of that game was some of the most gripping, intense football I've seen.

Riewoldt was unbelievable and Dal Santo, in just his second game, had 25 touches - and couldn't make the distance to win the game after the siren.
I was vox pop interviwed for afl.com.au outside the ground after that game..they asked if I was dissapointed that we'd been 2 goals in front but only got a draw. I told them, 100% honestly, that I was proud to be a SAints fan that night...was so proud of the team

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bozza1980
Club Player

Persuader wrote:This post is very thought provoking....can't think of a 'hug a stranger' home game for quite a while. Do you think this is because we now usually expect to win?
The last time I hugged a genuine stranger after a win was against the Hawks in 2001, we didn't lead the match until Barry Hall kicked the winner after the siren.

Shocking game of football, amazing feeling afterwards!! That said I felt ridiculously good after any win in during that period.