Reiwoldt should get roving commission

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Reiwoldt should get roving commission

Went to the Dockers/Tiges game yesterday.

Noticed that Richo and Pavlich were both given roving commissions. No set position. Richo was best on ground, Pavlich one of the best in his team.

Made me wonder - why not give Roo a similar role? He has the motor for it, can take a grab and will not be wasted watching play up the other end of the ground like he so often is these days. Richo dominated the game yesterday - I'm sure Roo could do the same.

Thoughts?

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Reiwoldt should get roving commission

certainly worth a thought. we've been too reliant on him for too long and that would certainly shake things up a bit.

still a handy forward line

HF: Gilbert, Kosi, Dal Santo/C. Gardiner
F: Milne, Gehrig, Schneider
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 14 Apr 2008 4:11pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

There have been some on this forum, myself included suggesting exactly that for some time. I recall the time Roo played on Richo on a wing and completely towelled him up !!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Can his knee allow him to that ............

maybe in bursts.

Noticed this year not as many 2nd 3rd efforts in leads etc....

very proppy after landing from marking contests......is limited hitting the ground and producing 2nd effort....

forming part of the reason ball being run out of our defense so easy.

If fitness/knee allows in bursts ok

If G and Kosi go to ........they better mark.....again this is not helped by oursloppy disposal.........

G and Kossi both lack agility and defensive skills.

saint4life
Buckets
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:Can his knee allow him to that ............

maybe in bursts.

Noticed this year not as many 2nd 3rd efforts in leads etc....

very proppy after landing from marking contests......is limited hitting the ground and producing 2nd effort....

forming part of the reason ball being run out of our defense so easy.

If fitness/knee allows in bursts ok

If G and Kosi go to ........they better mark.....again this is not helped by oursloppy disposal.........

G and Kossi both lack agility and defensive skills.
Agree. Don't really think that we can expect the same Roo out on the park this year to previous years! Seems that his knee is giving him more grief or...he is unwilling to push it too much for fear of doing damage!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

wait a minute, isn't be basically doing that already?

and aren't a number of people already complaining that he should be played closer to goal, cos his possessions up the ground are "wasted"?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
my les foote
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:wait a minute, isn't be basically doing that already?

and aren't a number of people already complaining that he should be played closer to goal, cos his possessions up the ground are "wasted"?
One third think all he gets are cheap possessions up the ground.

One third think his goal kicking ratio is only comparable to Fevola, Brown etc. because he takes all his shots from deep in the forward line.

And then some of us just think he is the best, most versatile player in the AFL.

Win it for HIM!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote: Agree. Don't really think that we can expect the same Roo out on the park this year to previous years! Seems that his knee is giving him more grief or ... he is unwilling to push it too much for fear of doing damage!
that's a worry. should he be out there at all if not fit? we don't want that knee getting worse.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Would like to see Roo back on the wing. Killed all oppositon when played there in the past. Would free up our forward line a lot. He still kicks goals from the wing.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

is playing him forward where he continually flies two and three opponents and has to deal with tunnelling etc any real protection for his knee?

i'd have thought all the propping and stopping would make it harder on the knee, not easier

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:There have been some on this forum, myself included suggesting exactly that for some time. I recall the time Roo played on Richo on a wing and completely towelled him up !!
Yep..towelled him up...for 22 minutes until Richo did his hammy IIRC :-)

Agreed that, injury notwithstanding. Roo can do it . We do need a 3rd forward to put their hand up though

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:We do need a 3rd forward to put their hand up though
they might actually kick it to fraser or kosi if riewoldt was on the wing for a while.

would be good for both of them to have a bit of responsibility and i'm certain they'd step up.

was impressed with gilbert's efforts when swung forward on saturday. an ungainly kicking action but a satisfactory result.

could be a real surprise packet across half forward

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Would like to see Roo back on the wing. Killed all oppositon when played there in the past. Would free up our forward line a lot. He still kicks goals from the wing.
someone suggested whacking him in the centre.

would make a strong-marking goal-to-goal line.

FB: Max
HB: Goose
C: Riewoldt
HF: Kosi
F: Gehrig

if that wouldn't make us go direct then i don't know what would.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i would go with Gehrig as the permenant forward, joined by either one of Kosi or Roo

when Kosi is in the ruck, Roo is in the forward line

when Kosi is in the forward line, Roo is playing across the center/half back line

that would also solve the problem of "too tall a forward line"

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I've been advocating this as have others since 2005

Just let Riewoldt play the same type of role that Hird used to play for Essendon and allow him to go out there and run around anywhere he chooses to.

Allow him to read the play and just go out and play, without pigeon holing him as a forward and one who gets pathetic delivery and multiple opponents.

He can still roam forward when he chooses to, but won't attract as much attention when being able to read the play from a designated starting wing position.

It would be folly for an opposition coach to double team him if he's starting on a wing.

FREE RIEWOLDT :idea:

He will not be double and triple teamed and the facts are we do NOT have enough talented and skilled midfielders to give Riewoldt a decent go at it to start with, let alone with two opponents covering him whenever he goes deep into the forward line within 30 metres of goal.

I mean FAIR DINKUM, it's so fricken obvious why do coaches on $500,000 a year not wake up to this, Thomas and Lyon included.

While I'm in the business of trying to give our coaches the heads up, PLAY GRAM ON THE WING, FAIR DINKUM, he's NOT a DEFENDER.

and another thing

Give Ferguson a game on the HFF, fair dinkum give the kid a go

oh and if you're going to use a first round draft pick on Armitage then play the kid, FAIR DINKUM

and one last thing, how long do we have to put up with the continual selection of SLOW, UNSKILLED, ONE SIDED PLAYERS such as Blake and Fiora

I mean for example L.Fisher is unskilled, slow and one sided and more than fulfills the quoto, how many sub ordinary skilled, one sided, slow, ineffectual players can you carry in one team at one time, FAIR DINKUM

no wonder we are stuffed around the contest when you have these types of players running through there

HELLO, WAKEY WAKEY

and PLEASE do not select Birss, this would be like shuffling the deckchairs on the titanic

CHANGE THE FRICKEN STRUCTURE for fornication's sake

To summise

Riewoldt to play wherever he chooses, while starting on a wing

Gram to the other wing

Kossie CHF

C.Gardiner in, Ferguson on a HFF

Armitage into the midfield

Blake and Fiora to Casey

Birss to stay at Casey

JUST DO IT, FAIR DINKUM

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:FREE RIEWOLDT :idea:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

midas_touch
Club Player

Riewoldt on the wing should be well worth thinking about, since he has the motor to play at such a position, plus it also allows him to float forward on his own terms. It will also unclutter our forward line, preventing our forwards from interfering with one another.
barks4eva wrote:

Give Ferguson a game on the HFF, fair dinkum give the kid a go
Ferguson hasn't been given a go in the 5 or so years hes been at the club, what makes you think hes gonna get a go now. A waste of space on our list imo, and should never have been redrafted at the end of 06, given that he is never in favour from the match comittee. He is far from a kid now as well, he's 23, turning 24 this year.

I mean for example L.Fisher is unskilled, slow and one sided and more than fulfills the quoto
Has proven to be a very solid player in the backline, and is also a handy run with player in Baker's absence.
Last edited by midas_touch on Tue 15 Apr 2008 2:39am, edited 1 time in total.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:preventing our forwards form interfering with one another.
they're all on the same team and good mates, but i hope they never take it that far :wink:

markp
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
midas_touch wrote:preventing our forwards form interfering with one another.
they're all on the same team and good mates, but i hope they never take it that far :wink:
What happens on the footy trip, stays on the footy trip....

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

First time I saw Riewoldt play I saw wingman all over him.

Nothing in the past seven years has changed my opinion.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I think Kosi is the one who should be given the 'green light' from the coach.

Play wherever you want.

Interesting to hear Brent Harvey's comments on Sunday re the Saints. He was surprisingly candid, which was a pleasant change from regular footy interviews.

He commented on how aggressive, fierce and hard Kosi is, and for that reason would have him in the middle.

I don't think Roo uses the ball well at all now when he's up the ground. His decision making by foot is woeful.

I'd think he'd need to play up back for a few weeks to get a feel for it before moving into a midfield/wing role.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I think Kosi is the one who should be given the 'green light' from the coach.

Play wherever you want.

Interesting to hear Brent Harvey's comments on Sunday re the Saints. He was surprisingly candid, which was a pleasant change from regular footy interviews.

He commented on how aggressive, fierce and hard Kosi is, and for that reason would have him in the middle.

Kosi is at his best when he is "in motion". It suits his personality and his playing toolbag.

Cooling his heels in a FP or FF for most of the game does not suit him......and nor does that role suit his style of marking.

In motion he can outmark anyone..and bust packs etc.

As a leading FF he is often found out bya good FB.

He can bea follower....but his ruckwork is not good enough to be more than a back up ruckman.

So yes he can float around the ground....as long as the ruckman is on the bench.

Otherwise I would play him as a roving CHF.

Roo at present.....I would play as a FF.

He is actually a fantastic FF with all the tools to kick bags.

He will also then draw the ball to where it should be drawn.

If you wanta Roo like role around the ground bring in Charlie who can run and float between HF and HB and providea linking marking target.

As a maxi-mid I have seen little evidence that roo has the ball snaring abilities of Pavlich.

Yes Roo can play wing....but I think as a FF he would be awesome and would be everything AND MORE that GTrain now struggles to be.

It also lessens the load on his sore knee. As a wing his knee would get no respite...and it may be burnt out come finals time.

He is great lead, a fast lead..and a smart lead (Kosi is not).
Hi is good contested mark. (Kosi is not unless it is a leaping pack mark)
He knows how to use his body in a marking contest (Kosi does not).

Closer to goal Roo is not a bad kick at goal.

Roo at FF also opens up the possibilty at times of a Pagans Paddock scenario....where when the forward line has flooded back...that Roo suddenly dashes back when we get the ball. He will outrun most full backs.

Imagine if there is empty space...and Gram or BJ get the ball and kick it for Roo to run onto...
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 15 Apr 2008 12:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

.. (sorry..the post repeated when I fixed a typo..have now removed).
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 15 Apr 2008 12:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:I think Kosi is the one who should be given the 'green light' from the coach.

Play wherever you want.

Kosi is at his best when he is "in motion". It suits his personality and his playing toolbag.

Cooling his heels in a FP or FF for most of the game does not suit him......and nor does that role suit his style of marking.

In motion he can outmark anyone..and bust packs etc.

As a leading FF he is often found out bya good FB.

He can bea follower....but his ruckwork is not good enough to be more thana back up ruckman.

So yes he can float around the ground....as long as the ruckman is on the bench.

Otherwise I would play him as a roving CHF.

Roo at present.....I would play as a FF.

He is actuallya fantstic FF with all the tools to kick bags.

He will also then draw the ball to where it should be drawn.

If you wanta Roo like role around the ground bring in Charlie who can run and float between HF and HB and providea linking marking target.

Asa maxi-mid I have seen little evidence that roo has the ball snaring abilities of Pavlich.

Yes Roo can play wing....but I think as a FF he would be awesome and would be everything AND MORE that GTrain now struggles to be.

It also lessens the load on his sore knee. As a wing his knee would get no respite...and it may be burnt out come finals time.

He is great lead, a fast lead..and a smart lead (Kosi is not).
Hi is good contested mark. (Kosi is not unless it is a leaping pack mark)
He knows how to use his body in a marking contest (Kosi does not).

Closer to goal Roo is not a bad kick at goal.

Roo at FF also opens up the possibilty at times of a Pagans Paddock scenario....where when the forward line has flooded back...that Roo suddenly dashes back when we get the ball. He will outrun most full backs.

Imagine if their is empty sapce...and gram or BJ get the ball and kick it for roo to run onto...
I agree.

Although I'd love to see Dal play a 'lead-up/small forward role' next to Roo.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Although I'd love to see Dal play a 'lead-up/small forward role' next to Roo.
I would not be against that.

It may well be that Dal's personality could be better suited to the burst type role of a HF...rather than the constant pressure and application that it takes to be a "star" midfielder.

Dal is also a very good mark for his size...and has the knack of intercepting kicks with his leap and judgement.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 15 Apr 2008 12:30pm, edited 1 time in total.