M.C.G. vs Telstra Dome

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trunch
Club Player

M.C.G. vs Telstra Dome

I have just read a thread on here about the Telstra Domes short comings if you like. I was wondering if any one could tell me what our deal is with the Dome and does it run out.

I went to the M.C.G. today to watch Pies vs Blues (just to watch a game with a big crowd and enjoy footy with no stress) Every time I go the M.C.G. I end up wishing it was our home ground. The Dome is a nice place to watch footy I guess but is it a great place? The G is certainly that. I believe players would prefer to play on the M.C.G.

On a bright note I think the Saints have come against two of the top three absolute form teams in the past two weeks. Judging by todays game we would of beaten the Pies and the Blues. A spot in the eight is up for grabs.

Remain educated on the game, stay loyal to St.Kilda
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

From a spectator point of view I think there is no comparison - TD wins hands down.

From an international spectacle, yes the G.

TD is much more user friendly, able to walk around level 1 without having to go out of the ground etc. The atmospehere when the roof is closed piles heaps on top of the "Superground"

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: M.C.G. vs Telstra Dome

Trunch wrote:I have just read a thread on here about the Telstra Domes short comings if you like. I was wondering if any one could tell me what our deal is with the Dome and does it run out.
I think we are in the process of re-negotiating at the moment so it must run out at the end of this year or next. I do know that Essendon has it in their contract that NO-ONE gets a better deal than them and that runs out at the end of this year.

Archie Fraser and his team have runs on the board for their ability to negotiate very good deals for St KFC. Let's wish them well with this one !!

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

I also went to the MCG match today. Yes the atmosphere was great however the seating was extremely cramped.

Have to agree with iceman that the Telstra Dome is the spectators ground, so easy to get to via train, tram, boat pehaps? The carparking is in huge supply and a lot quicker than MCG post-game.

However as a player i'd agree with Trunch - I would think that any player would choose to play 15 MCG games per year than 15 Telstra Dome.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I don't know that melbourne or the roos particulalry like playing there- the atmosphere when a large crowd is in is great but give 20,000 and its appalling

same could be said for TD but less obvious,

price wise costs are about the same- - whats the cost of parking in the park area around the G?
I know near tennis centre its over the $20

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Once you are inside the ground, you cannot fault the viewing of teh game at TD. I took a guest yeterday who ahd never been to TD previously and he was staggered by teh view of the game. Stated a number of times how great it was to watch the game in comparison to teh MCG.

casey scorp
Club Player

SaintBot wrote:However as a player i'd agree with Trunch - I would think that any player would choose to play 15 MCG games per year than 15 Telstra Dome.
If the players would prefer the MCG over Telstra Dome, then the MCG it has to be.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
SaintBot wrote:However as a player i'd agree with Trunch - I would think that any player would choose to play 15 MCG games per year than 15 Telstra Dome.
If the players would prefer the MCG over Telstra Dome, then the MCG it has to be.
of course that is in my opinion

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Moving to the MCG is the only way that we'll ever play a home final.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I know the argument about the playing surface and imjuries will rae on forever, but personally I love TD

It annoys me that teams like Essendon and Carlton do "multi-pronged" deals that allow them to call TD home until a nice juicy home blockbuster comes along...then it gets moved to the G and they just rake in the gate takings. I dont particularly want that to happen to St Kilda, I just think that if you want to call TD home and strike a great dealt here, as Essendon did, then you have to take the good with the bad. We play Collingwood at home there, why cant they????

To me, so long as all home Club members can get in to see the game, then everyone else takes their chances. One of my favorite Rod Butterss quotes was from when we were being mooted to move a home game to the G a couple of years ago. "Theres no issue for St Kilda" he said "theres room at TD for all our members" Hear hear!!!

Heres my perfect St Kilda home game..say against the Pies. Its all-ticketed and tickets for Level 3 go on sale 2 weeks prior. For the first week, the only people who can buy tickets are ST KILDA MEMBERS. If theres only 5000 crappy seats up the back of level 3 left over for everyone else. bad luck. Good incentive to buy a membership eh?? Would REALLY feel like a home game then eh??

Yes it would be great to have more games at the G, and we would..if bloody TD werent allowed to do deals that made Richmond shift their home game v us to TD this year...just to use one example. But i dont want them as home games, negating the chance to create a HOME ground atmosphere.

We cant match the crowd numbers that COllingwood and Essendon draw, so we have to make sure as many of them as possible cant get in. Happens at AAMI and Subiaco, happens at EPL games, happens at some A league games, why cant it happen at TD???

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Heres my perfect St Kilda home game..say against the Pies. Its all-ticketed and tickets for Level 3 go on sale 2 weeks prior. For the first week, the only people who can buy tickets are ST KILDA MEMBERS. If theres only 5000 crappy seats up the back of level 3 left over for everyone else. bad luck. Good incentive to buy a membership eh?? Would REALLY feel like a home game then eh??

We cant match the crowd numbers that COllingwood and Essendon draw, so we have to make sure as many of them as possible cant get in. Happens at AAMI and Subiaco, happens at EPL games, happens at some A league games, why cant it happen at TD???

Great idea S66au, agree totally.

I go to a lot of Geelong games and see the p1ssy areas dedicated to the oppo supporters, especially the cheer squads that get pushed away into that pocket, giving Cats fans the dominance at both end goals.

There is then a spattering of oppo supporters among the Gary Ablett Terrace, which is THE feral area at Skilled. Open your mouth against the Cats there at your own peril. Apart from that, oppo members/supporters etc. have limited opportunities to get in and enjoy the game.

I’d love to see that system adopted at TD where the ticketing is all ours to a certain point – if we don’t sell them, it’s our fault.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
saint66au wrote:

I go to a lot of Geelong games and see the p1ssy areas dedicated to the oppo supporters, especially the cheer squads that get pushed away into that pocket, giving Cats fans the dominance at both end goals.

There is then a spattering of oppo supporters among the Gary Ablett Terrace, which is THE feral area at Skilled. Open your mouth against the Cats there at your own peril. Apart from that, oppo members/supporters etc. have limited opportunities to get in and enjoy the game.

I’d love to see that system adopted at TD where the ticketing is all ours to a certain point – if we don’t sell them, it’s our fault.
LOL..the last time I went to Skilled we stood in that standing room area near the video screeen (well gone now with the new stand no doubt) and saw BBBBBBHall give a very young Joel Corey 5 weeks worth of smack in the mouth lol

Had to park in the You Yangs too..or it felt that far away :?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
gooner
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Yes Yes Yes
Absolutely shytes me when a so called Saints home game has no advantage cos bloody Essendon fans are all over the shop.

BTW still love TD. Level 3 membership still gives you a very decent view unlike being in the Gods at the G.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
esaint66
SS Life Member

satchmo wrote:Moving to the MCG is the only way that we'll ever play a home final.

Or the only way we will ever play 'outdoors' football :roll: :?