We will beat Geelong next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

We will beat Geelong next week

Just you wait and see

All this negative nervous nellie nonsense on here is just that

A week is a long time in footy, have most of you forgotten that?

We will tear Geelong a new one

FAIR DINKUM

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

love the optimism Barks and come wednesday ill prob share your enthusiasm but at the moment im still concerned by our negatives from friday night

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st paddy
Club Player

Re: We will beat Geelong next week

barks4eva wrote:Just you wait and see

FAIR DINKUM
and after losing to hawthorn last year, according to your good self, we had just watched a losing performance from last years certain premiers.

Is there anything that you actually know about football?

Is there anything you actually know about anything?

I'm looking forward to your abusive reply Barks4eva (aka OWTS).

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

st paddy wrote:

FAIR DINKUM
and after losing to hawthorn last year, according to your good self, we had just watched a losing performance from last years certain premiers.

Is there anything that you actually know about football?

Is there anything you actually know about anything?

I'm looking forward to your abusive reply Barks4eva (aka OWTS).
Why don't you just ask nicely for this thread to be locked, that is your obvious goal...

How about instead of a personal attack you just state your opinion on the topic FFS.

And for what it's worth I don't think we will beat Geelong but I think (hope) we will be very competative for 4 quarters...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Barks if we beat Geelong next week I believe that it will give credence to a developing theory that the Saints are slows starters and build towards September.

This being the case then I think it also gives credence to the teams over inflated belief in themselves which I am not saying is a bad thing because at the end of the day premier teams need belief. But belief alone wont get you to your first long awaited premiership. Belief, talent, skills, coaching, injury management and a little luck will get you to that all allusive and long awaited premiership. Once you have the first one then you can go arrogant. Arrogance can then help you win a few games on the way to your next premiership and then maybe your next vis-a-vis Brisbane Lions 2001-2002-2003.

Not sure if all of the above makes sense but I am happy to articulate further if required but what I would like to leave you with is this:

The Saints biggest challenge is all in the players heads. No excuses this year. Good admin, good coaching staff, an almost fully fit lis...it's going to be all in the head and all in the bus. Roo knows best.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

FAIR DINKUM
By 5.00pm next Saturday we will be put a long standing arguement to rest about barks4eva:

GENIUS or FOOL ???

Please feel free to cast an early vote :lol: :wink: !!

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i think we will beat geelong as well

we will come out to play,

make them changes we need

Drop Raph, fiora, gilbert

In
C.gardiner, CJ, armo, MGardiner

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Im With you only if we are in the right state of mind

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

I believe we will fire up and scare the s*** out of the cats....for 1 quarter.

esaint66
SS Life Member

clarky449 wrote:Im With you only if we are in the right state of mind

Being in the right frame of mind and winning the ball and going foward right is the only way we can win.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:i think we will beat geelong as well

we will come out to play,

make them changes we need

Drop Raph, fiora, gilbert

In
C.gardiner, CJ, armo, MGardiner
I completely agree with that, if we play 23 players I believe we will win....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

I was at the Cats/Dees game today, and have to say I was actually impressed by Bailey's balls.

He could have flooded the game into a stalemate, but every time I looked across the ground I saw man standing beside man. Groups of two all over the ground was a great spectacle.

He gave each player a role to carry out and he was prepared to stick to it and back them, even when at times it looked like Geelong was about to blow the game open wide. A few moves here and there but he knew how he wanted them to play Geelong - man on man.
Could have been a safe option for him to save face to have the whole team behind the ball, but he didn't.

In the end the result could have been a lot closer but for the obvious difference in skill.

Obviously Ross will be closely examining today's game and I think we may come out with a different game plan next week.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

FAIR DINKUM
I hope you're right, but please it is NOT negative when posters post some constructive criticism....

Some on here don't like a poster posting anything that criticises any of our players, which is really sad IMO.

To post some constructive criticism about some saints players is NOT...
negative nervous nellie nonsense
I am sure you understand that seeing the amount of "constructive criticism " you had in the past about Jason Blake...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

Saints maybe a chance if the game was to be played at skilled stadium. The Dome is just right for their style of play and they will be too good, hope i am proved wrong though.

StSteven
Club Player

Why wouldn't we beat them. We have the better list don't we!

StSteven
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:I was at the Cats/Dees game today, and have to say I was actually impressed by Bailey's balls.

He could have flooded the game into a stalemate, but every time I looked across the ground I saw man standing beside man. Groups of two all over the ground was a great spectacle.

He gave each player a role to carry out and he was prepared to stick to it and back them, even when at times it looked like Geelong was about to blow the game open wide. A few moves here and there but he knew how he wanted them to play Geelong - man on man.
Could have been a safe option for him to save face to have the whole team behind the ball, but he didn't.

In the end the result could have been a lot closer but for the obvious difference in skill.

Obviously Ross will be closely examining today's game and I think we may come out with a different game plan next week.
How did Blake go in the ruck, and I heard Ottens will be back next week.

Was Hawkins as impressive as the commentators and ABC News clam?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:I was at the Cats/Dees game today, and have to say I was actually impressed by Bailey's balls.

hawkins kicked 5 goals ,

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote: By 5.00pm next Saturday we will be put a long standing arguement to rest about barks4eva:

GENIUS or FOOL ???

Please feel free to cast an early vote :lol: :wink: !!
Argument??

Who's ever argued on the 'genius' side?

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:

I would have given Blake a 6.5/10 - medium range game, seems to get a lot of hitouts and maybe the mids make him look better than he really is. But he does seem to position himself well around the ground, not that he gets big stats but he fills a hole. Haven't seen stats but I would imagine he won hitouts, yet I thought Paul Johnson did ok also.

Young Tomahawk was quite good, while not dominating he kicked five and could have had another couple. Took a couple of really good contested marks - has a good leap for a kid who still looks to be carrying puppy fat.

Also throws his body around well, but seems to lack confidence in calling for it sometimes - saw him make space a few times but doesn't back himself really yelling and demanding the ball - maybe he saw other options so left it alone.

Word from the rooms was that Ottens wouldn't be back for another two at least, but I didn't sight him so that's only rumour.

Their mids were excellent again - very very quick - always seems to be someone with blistering pace outside the packs.

We either try to shut them down completely next week, and I don't think we've got enough stoppers to do that, or we take them on one on one as the Dees tried and let them chase us, which is clearly what I prefer. I am a big fan of backing our own blokes.

The best part of this game was the one on contests and the way it was played.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

is saturdays game sold out?

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

If we play one on one surely they will kill us? The one on one battles with our slow plodding midfielders is a forgone conclusion. Cats midfield will towel up the slow likes of Ball, Hayes and Dal Santo.

Just a thought.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

brown-coat wrote:If we play one on one surely they will kill us? The one on one battles with our slow plodding midfielders is a forgone conclusion. Cats midfield will towel up the slow likes of Ball, Hayes and Dal Santo.

Just a thought.
:lol: Maybe my wishful thinking.

They are lightning mids the Cats have, the Dees couldn't match them, but it's just my opinion on the fact that Bailey seemed to back his players to do it - not that he had a lot to lose.

Personally I much prefer to watch that style of play - yeah I know 4 points and all that :roll: - but I think we still have a team that can beat them if we take them on.

Make no mistake, the crowd and player reaction today, the Dees gave them a genuine scare for 80% of the game. Several times the Cats players were worried and started eating their own.

What else do we do? Flood and keep it to an "honourable" loss?

I know what I'd rather see - our guns taking them on.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Right. I do agree, i also prefer man on man to flooding from an entertainment perspective.

See how it goes i suppose.
Last edited by brown-coat on Sun 06 Apr 2008 8:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:is saturdays game sold out?
I doubt it.

Before posting ignorant questions like that, how about checking the Ticketmaster website and try buying a ticket?

Can someone please tell me the last time a H&A game at TD sold out a week in advance? I'd assume never.....sell outs may occur by Wednesday at the earliest.

As for the OP, I'm 100% confident the players will be switched on and fired up, and as for the result I have no idea. But as long as we give it 100% for the whole game (not just 1 quarter), I will be very happy.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Geelong were a bit off today...expect them to be back gunning next week.

One thing is for sure if our midfield is as unforgivingly lazy as it was on Friday then we will get torn apart.

I hope NDS gets a job & goes head to head with Bartel & shows he is capable of stopping a champion player while influencing the game in our favour as well.