Rotation System used on forwards

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Rotation System used on forwards

Just a thought. Do you think when you have an abundance of talanted forwards and talls that a bench rotation can be used similar that used for midfielders. Is RL experimenting with this. It looked like from watch the game on TV that Gtrain and Kossi and Roo all rotated frequently tonight. I think that some might have thought they were being dragged but I don't thinks so. Some other poster stated earlier it will be difficult for opposition teams to keep all of them down so if this is the case lets face it why does Roo and Kosi have to star every week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rotation System used on forwards

Cairnsman wrote:Just a thought. Do you think when you have an abundance of talanted forwards and talls that a bench rotation can be used similar that used for midfielders. Is RL experimenting with this. It looked like from watch the game on TV that Gtrain and Kossi and Roo all rotated frequently tonight. I think that some might have thought they were being dragged but I don't thinks so. Some other poster stated earlier it will be difficult for opposition teams to keep all of them down so if this is the case lets face it why does Roo and Kosi have to star every week.
i think he should keep all three of them out there and rotate them around the forward line. give kosi a shot at chf. give roo a shot at ff. give fraser a shot at chf and so on.

it is a tactical and match-up nightmare for opposition coaches and personally i couldn't care which of the 3 Divas kicks a bag on any given week so long as one of them does.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to note that rotations of midfielders is in the headlines today instigated by Leigh Matthews comments.

Also interesting that some believe that Sydney were first to use the tactic to negate the talented midfield of WCoast during 05 and 06. All the mean while this was while one Ross Lyon was assistant coach.

After listening to RLs post match press conference it would appear that he may be leading the way with rotations of the forwards.

Did anyone listen to his comments and does anyone think that he is planning to use a high frequency rotation system with our forwards?

A bit has been said about our structure not being right but is this the case? Are we just seeing a new structure, one that we are not accustomed to.

esaint66
SS Life Member

well from what i saw he generally played all 3 of them in there at the same time.

But when we started scoring a bit more frequntly from midfielders and half fowards there was only 2 of them in there.

Telstra dome is too small for 3 big tall fowards.

Thats why we won agains the eagles at subi last year.
Big fowards + Big ground = big score/win.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Just a thought. Do you think when you have an abundance of talanted forwards and talls that a bench rotation can be used similar that used for midfielders. Is RL experimenting with this. It looked like from watch the game on TV that Gtrain and Kossi and Roo all rotated frequently tonight. I think that some might have thought they were being dragged but I don't thinks so. Some other poster stated earlier it will be difficult for opposition teams to keep all of them down so if this is the case lets face it why does Roo and Kosi have to star every week.

If you did that you have to take into consideration it would cut down on the midfield rotations.

esaint66
SS Life Member

ausfatcat wrote:

If you did that you have to take into consideration it would cut down on the midfield rotations.

Wekk we wouldnt want that the midfielders work really hard.
maybe 1 or 2 foward rotations a half?
im not sure how many they do now :?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think the way to look at it who would benefit the most from rotations?

I think the answer is mainly those players that run more and hence would gain more benefits from "rests".

Big forwards tend to have more periods when they are not actively running and so hence can rest on the ground.

Now Roo runs a lot but also has freakish aerobic capacity fora player of his size.

Now small forwards may run more by supporting the midfield and so hence may also gain from rests on the bench.....aas long as they are not inactive by say staying as a permanent forward poket.

Now the interchange is also used not just for "rests" but for tactical purposes of cours, and so you might interchange a big forward not to rest them but fot tactical reasons.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bob__71
Club Player

If we are going to play a flooding gamestyle then it is actually the forwards who end up running the furthest and the backs who stay home more often. When the opposition have the ball what do the forwards do...so it sort of makes sense to me.