Casey Practice Match reports

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Casey Practice Match reports

Well I swung by the game to cath most of the first half on the way home.

Very hot at 6 but by 6.30 the cool change had come through which is about when the game started.

I was basically watching individual players rather than the game.

casey was playing well though.

BJ. Basically playing midfield...and playing beautifully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! winning the ball very well as well as receiving and with long precise kicking. BJ looks slimmer compared to last year...so maybe midfield this year??

Looks like he could play Round 1....I don't know what the conditioning guys report will be...but BJ was moving very well.

Ball. Looked like the old bal rather than the crippled Ball of last year.

Goose...had less ground time, but looked good without lookin outstanding. his field kicking was very good though...long and accurate hitting targets.

Allen as a key forward was playing well. Is coming along nicely.

LJ I watched for a little bit.....is very raw and does not always know where to run.

Gwilt. Not sure if he played the first at all....came on in the second and laida awesome tackle. all in all was quite though.

Leigh Fisher was playing mid to bacline and looked good. Have good touch and was winning leanty of ball.

McEvoy was rucking and looked ok. Did not always leap at the centre bounces. Looked quite raw...but that is ok as he is more for the future anyway,

Chivers I did ot see do much. Ditto for Howard..

Mini had less game time than BJ and bal....but look ok in the second quarter without looking good.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Fri 14 Mar 2008 7:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Thanks SaintsRrising !!

Much appreciated !!

Sam23
SS Life Member

:)
Last edited by Sam23 on Fri 14 Mar 2008 8:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goddard.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Its great to just hear goose got through another match. Thanks for the report.

4ever_saint
Club Player

Good to hear on all fronts ;)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Its great to just hear goose got through another match. Thanks for the report.
I left just prior to half time...so you will have to wait till someone posts a full match report.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

ahh err , lets HOPE he got through ok. hmm.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

brilliant news so far

goddard playing, and well, is very exciting

ball with gametime is perfect

maguires skills are still intact

youngsters showing signs

brendan by far the highlight

cheers saintsrising

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Re: Casey Practice Match reports

saintsRrising wrote:Goose...had less ground time, but looked good without lookin outstanding. his field kicking was very good though...long and accurate hitting targets.
spoke to my mate who is playing down at the frankston dolphins, he said goose played on him for a few minutes and he only got the pill once.

said he looks to be in excellent shape.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Casey Practice Match reports

fonz_#15 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Goose...had less ground time, but looked good without lookin outstanding. his field kicking was very good though...long and accurate hitting targets.
spoke to my mate who is playing down at the frankston dolphins, he said goose played on him for a few minutes and he only got the pill once.

said he looks to be in excellent shape.
Yes Goose looks a treat.....but he definitely had a number of good kicks...but then your mate was only on him for a few minutes....or did you mean that your mate only got it the once?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Isnt it funny how we see thing differently. Bally IMO looked just. Seems to still be carrying something. Goose was ok but didnt play much. BJ looked good in the first half and even though McEvoy didnt do much what he did was good. Ej looked great and has something for sure.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

hey did BJ play more then a half?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:hey did BJ play more then a half?
Played all the game but probably only 70 minutes game time if you get my drift. Off and on.

spiral2
Club Player

I caught the first half as well and pretty much agree with the other reporters

for mine Bally was BOG in the first half, got a heap of the footy, a lot of it contested. no line breaking stuff, just creative and hard working in close stuff. The other player that did well was #21 for the scorps - Ben Fraser? - 3-4 goals. Was getting good delivery though.
Kyle Matthews played well and his disposal was spot on from what I noticed.

BJ looked good, kicked well and got the footy

Goose went pretty well, a few good aerial contests and some run out of the back line

McEvoy did pretty well in the ruck against another young looking bean pole. lost some taps but dealt out a few good ones. as Saintsrising mentioned he didn't get off the ground much.
he was pretty good around the ground, didn't see him take any marks but was solid in contests and used the ball well by hand.
will be interesting to watch once he gets some more size & improves his ruck technique

Eljay did pretty well and found quite a bit of the ball. made some errors but did some good things. pretty nimble. could maybe become a good player but still a lot of work in front of him (namely consistent skills, decision making and strength). still reminds me a bit of Phil Raymond though :wink:
time will tell I spose

Mini was pretty disappointing, I know it's early but he looks gone to me
seemed to start of with a run with role off a wing

Howard didn't get the ball. he goes all right when he has it and applies good pressure but hardly seemed to touch it

Chivers gave some good competitive efforts in the first quarter (played down back)

Gwilt - did some good things in limited time

Eddy - good, seemed quite assured at this level

Allen - should have run on and kicked a goal in the first half (dished off) though learnt his lesson and ran toward goal and slotted one in the second quarter.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

21 wouldn't be fergi would it? (sorry haven't seen the kid for so long I can't remember his number

Thanks for tupdates, not sure if BJ will make round 1 but its good signs all the same

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:21 wouldn't be fergi would it? (sorry haven't seen the kid for so long I can't remember his number

Thanks for tupdates, not sure if BJ will make round 1 but its good signs all the same
21 is ferg for sure but not for casey. That is Fraser. Ferg pulled out with a sore groin. Not sounding good for him.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:21 wouldn't be fergi would it? (sorry haven't seen the kid for so long I can't remember his number

21 is ferg for sure but not for casey. That is Fraser. Ferg pulled out with a sore groin. Not sounding good for him.
even this early on ferguson and mcqualter look very unlikely to still be on the list in 09

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

cheers, good to hear fraser kicking goals for the scorps.

Ferg sounds like he is gone, gwilt on his way also

FQF
In richo I trust

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

It was a Casey team...and hence Casey Jumper Numbers apply.

21 is Ben Fraser.

BJ was 76!!!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if the reserves game has finished yet? started about 8.45 - Ilzy had his own cheersquad :)

Scorpions reserves were struggling when I left; didn't have the high jumper numbered rookies the seniors had.

McEvoy and James Wall did the rucking for the seniors,
BJ, Goose and Ball where part of a strict 10 min on; 5 off then 10 on for the first two quarters- 8 players changing at a time.
BJ and Bally played all 4 quarters with Bally having a couple of extra breaks in the last- goose went to the rooms last quarter.
Matthews and one other player got into a mini scuffle toward the end of the game.
I didn't keep score but feel the Senior Scorpions won on the night.

the corporate box above the BBQ was busy for the time of the senior scorpions game.

the SC BBQ was still going strong when I left.
number present- a few hundred I would think. carpark to the left -fairly full although some unknowing :shock: driver or two parked right in the centre in what is usually the centre access way :?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Isn't it a joy to read plugger66 playing the glass half full fella, yet again. Ball, just, eh? Well we wait with pregnant joy. Alternate to p66 (how old was plugger in 66?), I liked the way the Bally performed last Satdee - he was in, he was active and he never seemed to me to be troubled. I reckon he's right to go, not "just".

One of us is going to be proved wrong. The rest of us reckon Bally is going OK.

Bewdiful, iddn't it.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

How did Goose's pace look?

His kicking has always been good - I'm more interested in his agility.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Isn't it a joy to read plugger66 playing the glass half full fella, yet again. Ball, just, eh? Well we wait with pregnant joy. Alternate to p66 (how old was plugger in 66?), I liked the way the Bally performed last Satdee - he was in, he was active and he never seemed to me to be troubled. I reckon he's right to go, not "just".

One of us is going to be proved wrong. The rest of us reckon Bally is going OK.

Bewdiful, iddn't it.

The one thing I will say about you is you have no idea. Were you there today or not. You would not have a clue. I say as I see it. You say it as you dont see it.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Nah, I just watched last Satdee, whizzkid. Ya dabble around, pot the folks who are pro, like some sorta super sage.

I reckon ya talk, and write, crap. Ya never commit, ya hang about like some sorta tabloid spank bag.

See, I don't need to seek your verification as to whether Luke Ball's on the improve. I f***ing believe it. I want to believe it, and I listen to people who know.

Let me put it simply, self anointed swell knob, Luke Ball's gonna go fine in '08 (and beyond), 'cos he's been treated. And as he gets better and better, Mr Just, come back and tell us about your superior insight.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

He went home, or what? By crikey that gripes my cookies. Slings a few then buggers off. Dreadful.