what skills would they bring- Indians

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

what skills would they bring- Indians

http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsid=56134
India latest to embrace AFL
Tony Abate
9:38 AM Thu 13 March, 2008

THE AFL has announced a team from India as the latest entrant for in the Australian Football International Cup which is being held in Warrnambool and Melbourne in August, 2008 as part of the 150th year celebrations.

The Indian side joins the likes of USA, South Africa, Canada, Great Britain, Sweden, Denmark, PNG, New Zealand, Japan, China, Ireland, Spain, Nauru, Samoa, Finland, and the Peace Team from Israel and Palestine.

It will be the first time that India has taken part in the International Cup.

AFL talent and international manager Kevin Sheehan said their inclusion was further testimony to the game’s growth.

“Our game of Australian Football is spreading to other countries and the fact that India is taking part this year is a further endorsement of the growing popularity of the game,â€

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

29 views and no replies - no disrespect to bratty, fair topic thrown up - preliminarily indicates a possible reflection on the summer just gone........

:shock:

battye
Saintsational Legend

Gehrig at full forward, Harbhajan Singh at full back. I'd pay to see that :twisted:

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Could threaten to go home if they get a bad decision.

Has anybody told the Indians that, unlike cricket and the BCCI, the AFl frowns on racial abuse?

May keep them off the phone at my place while I am trying to have tea though.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:29 views and no replies - no disrespect to bratty, fair topic thrown up - preliminarily indicates a possible reflection on the summer just gone........

:shock:
thanks iceman234- but also shows the time of the evening and the day of the week-- the no I'm not wacthing the footy show brigade are checking out the footy show and whether or not it's changed;

and I expected some barjjjiii connections.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

[quote="saintbrat the no I'm not wacthing the footy show brigade are checking out the footy show and whether or not it's changed;

[/quote]

:shock: Who?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

hey you get my latest e-mail and pick the fault iceman234- I think I could run a competition with a prize for recipients who pick the most typos throughout the year:
the "No - I'm not watching the footy show brigade;" are checking out the footy show and whether or not it's changed"
just note the lack of traffic on ehre between 9.30 and 10.30

hey it's 11 pm and they finally mention the Saints win .

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Could threaten to go home if they get a bad decision.

Has anybody told the Indians that, unlike cricket and the BCCI, the AFl frowns on racial abuse?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
yeah nothing racist in insinuating all indians are going to boycot matches and all indians are racist :roll: :roll:

serioulsy this could be huge in india while i was over there in november i took my little cousin a sherrin as a gift and we went out for a kick you should of ssen the crowd gather when they saw this funny samed ball flying through the air i spent near on 3 hrs showing the local kids how to kick handball and mark the ball they loved it . the thing with india is they love their sport so this could be a real big market to tap heck they even have their own pin up boy with Daniel Kerr being of indian decent !

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
I love Dally best

Cheating skills. They'd be the masters of tanking

I love Dally best

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Could threaten to go home if they get a bad decision.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
yeah nothing racist in insinuating all indians are going to boycot matches and all indians are racist :roll: :roll:

serioulsy this could be huge in india while i was over there in november i took my little cousin a sherrin as a gift and we went out for a kick you should of ssen the crowd gather when they saw this funny samed ball flying through the air i spent near on 3 hrs showing the local kids how to kick handball and mark the ball they loved it . the thing with india is they love their sport so this could be a real big market to tap heck they even have their own pin up boy with Daniel Kerr being of indian decent !
Daniel Kerr maybe half Indian and half Sri Lankan but he aint decent

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I love Dally best wrote:Cheating skills. They'd be the masters of tanking
right....... and the under arm delivery to NZ was fair ?
jesus you would think australia was full of choir boys the way we taint india

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Saintschampions08
Club Player

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
I love Dally best wrote:Cheating skills. They'd be the masters of tanking
right....... and the under arm delivery to NZ was fair ?
jesus you would think australia was full of choir boys the way we taint india
Compared to ball tampering its angelic.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What skills will they bring????

I think it is that the AFL is more eying off a few TV right sales to a billion Indians if they get some interest in the game going there...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Apu
Club Player

Great news!!!! I'd love to see it really take off in India as it is IMO the best sport in the world.

Kerrs father was Indian. I believe Balraj Singh was the first "full" indian to be drafted, but he never got a game.

Actually Im surpised how few of them there are in AFL/VFL history given the number of Indians living in Australia these days (Melbourne especially).
Perhaps its a genetic thing that makes them unco at most sports. I know i sure as hell am :)

trav i hoped you showed em some of the real finer points of footy ie

the good old fashioned shirt front
the ankle tap
the rib tickler
the coat hanger
the nut cruncher(sqirrel)
the rabbit

the stab pass
the drop kick
the flick pass

& not just the airy fairy chyt

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

rogerwa wrote:trav i hoped you showed em some of the real finer points of footy ie

the good old fashioned shirt front
the ankle tap
the rib tickler
the coat hanger
the nut cruncher(sqirrel)
the rabbit

the stab pass
the drop kick
the flick pass

& not just the airy fairy chyt
definatly if it wasnt for the fact i was off to dehli the next day i would of organised a proper game for the kids they loved the whole physical side of it i mean they only really get into cricket and hockey over there so to actually belt someone is great fun :lol:

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Apu wrote:Great news!!!! I'd love to see it really take off in India as it is IMO the best sport in the world.

Kerrs father was Indian. I believe Balraj Singh was the first "full" indian to be drafted, but he never got a game.

Actually Im surpised how few of them there are in AFL/VFL history given the number of Indians living in Australia these days (Melbourne especially).
Perhaps its a genetic thing that makes them unco at most sports. I know i sure as hell am :)
i think as we indian boys get older we become more unco as a kid i could play almost any sport now as an adult i have trouble playing lawn bowls :oops:

but the kids over there have heaps of energy it was like 38deg and the humidity was killing me and there these kids were pleading "uncle uncle kick it higher " :lol:

nicola69
Club Player

They would not be very good. The reason is that only a rich minority in India get to participate in things like representative sports. That's why they are no good in most world sports when on the numbers, they should dominate. Even in cricket, it's once in a blue moon they perform .

1 billion people and they can't even find 11 good soccer players. What makes you think they can find 11 more to make up an AFL team?

we exist on a brane - thank f*** for StK
I love Dally best

Don't think they'll be much chop in F1 either

Richter
SS Life Member

nicola69 wrote:1 billion people and they can't even find 11 good soccer players. What makes you think they can find 11 more to make up an AFL team?
They'd definitely get creamed if they only fielded 11 in their AFL team..... :wink: :D :wink:

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

nicola69 wrote: 1 billion people and they can't even find 11 good soccer players. What makes you think they can find 11 more to make up an AFL team?
Actually, India are the best Southern Asian football nation right now, they've won 5 out of 7 South Asia Football Federation championships, and are the riegning champions.

I don't think AFL is suited to every particular person or country, but we would be stupid not to at least consider giving them a go.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

nicola69 wrote:They would not be very good. The reason is that only a rich minority in India get to participate in things like representative sports. That's why they are no good in most world sports when on the numbers, they should dominate. Even in cricket, it's once in a blue moon they perform .

1 billion people and they can't even find 11 good soccer players. What makes you think they can find 11 more to make up an AFL team?
have you been to india ? you seriously have no idea sport is the one thing that is freely available to everyone in india you go down to the parks and ovals and there are thousands of kids playing sports (often with makeshift equipment )

there is an influx of the rich kids making the national team because they basicallyplay in the big comps and play for the important schools (not much differant to the rest of the world ) but the following of the game would be worth it