PaulRoos' or Saints' approach to the Nab cup for Rd1 victory

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hilairehinshelwood
Club Player

PaulRoos' or Saints' approach to the Nab cup for Rd1 victory

It's obvious Paul Roos throws the Nab cup, but not for match fixing mainly to lessen the chance of injuries.
I don't think St kilda will lose to the swans in round 1, but if they do i will blame the extended run in the NAb cup quite readily. It would be interesting to know of the benefeits (other than $300,000) the nab cup run gives to the team. Round 1's result may give the answer to this.

Snakeman66
Club Player

Re: PaulRoos' or Saints' approach to the Nab cup for Rd1 vic

hilairehinshelwood wrote:It's obvious Paul Roos throws the Nab cup, but not for match fixing mainly to lessen the chance of injuries.
I don't think St kilda will lose to the swans in round 1, but if they do i will blame the extended run in the NAb cup quite readily. It would be interesting to know of the benefeits (other than $300,000) the nab cup run gives to the team. Round 1's result may give the answer to this.
Winning form is good form.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

hilairehinshelwood wrote:It's obvious Paul Roos throws the Nab cup, but not for match fixing mainly to lessen the chance of injuries.

Why we appear to be doing everything we would be doing anyway if we got knocked out in rnd 1. If we did lose in rnd 1 we would've had to have played the NAB challange (possibly with more travel), and we would've played the young guys and give the older guys limited game time to get them up to fitness. As well as figuring out who will be in the best side for rnd 1.

hmmm isn't that what we are doing in the NAB cup as well?

If we lose rnd 1 it wont because of the NAB cup.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

"I don't understand the controversy about Roos telling his players to go forward but don't kick any goals. Richmond have been using that tactic for years."

:D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Yes, but apparently no one bets on Richmond. :shock:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:"I don't understand the controversy about Roos telling his players to go forward but don't kick any goals. Richmond have been using that tactic for years."

In the mid 80's we did it for 20 games ayear.

Snakeman66
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
The_Dud wrote:"I don't understand the controversy about Roos telling his players to go forward but don't kick any goals. Richmond have been using that tactic for years."

In the mid 80's we did it for 20 games ayear.
Were the other 2 when we played Carlscum.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I dont think so...

Staying in the NAB cup means you still get to play decent practice games. But you dont have to play on horsepaddocks up the bush....

I remember a couple of years back, some hawthorn guy did his knee on a ground that the players said was like concrete...

And as far as how our coach is treating the comp...Have a look at the last quarter of the Essendon game. Have a look who was on the bench and who was on our half forward line....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

In '95 Carlscum only lost 2 games. Saints and Swans. Last and second last.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintly
Saintsational Legend

the one major bad difference between the practice matches and the nab is the rule difference. will it make a difference to a team that they are using different rules?

the one major good difference is the lack of travelling!

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Its hilarious to hear the Roosy is in Melbourne to "answer" the charges with a possible $100000 fine and indefinite suspension.

WHAT CRAP

hell walk into the meeting, they will talk about the weather and he will be on a plane back to Sydney

Before Im 85
Huzzad
Club Player

How would we be disadvantaged by the GF of a NAB Cup? Each team plays 4 pre-season games. The 14 teams that do not make the finals play on crappy grounds which I would logically suggest imposes serious increases in the chance of injury.

Besides, throwing games because you do not like rule changes is not exactly a winning-formular for teams. Suppose Roos says to his team on round 1, "okay, you can play to win now" but after purposly throwing 4 previous games, will the swans even remember what it takes to win after a pre-season of game plans designed to lose? Goodness knows what that does to the young guns coming through the ranks who are expected to perform, but are forbidden to be match winners. Not exactly implimenting good club culture. While focus should be round one, I love what Monty said the other day "why not just win both?"

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
rexy
SS Life Member

Getting back to the OP, I dont understand how you can blame a NAB cup win for losing rd 1. If we were to say lose 3 key players in the final then you could possibly blame the selection of those particular players in the final as the reason they got injured, but even thats drawing a long bow IMO, they must get match conditioned some how.

Maybe this year?
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Can someone remind me how we went in the first few rounds of the regular comp last time we played in the NAB cup final...............? :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
rexy
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:Can someone remind me how we went in the first few rounds of the regular comp last time we played in the NAB cup final...............? :wink:
Well said.

Was also interesting to see an article in sundays sun which showed that the most successful teams of the last 30 odd years had been the most succesful preseason teams also. bottom line is the better teams will win the most games no matter what time of the year they are played.

Maybe this year?
jill
Club Player

After the AFL is through with Roosy, will Ross Lyon then be hauled in - look at the St.Kilda bench in the last quarter!!!!!!! :wink: