a pretty impressive win

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

a pretty impressive win

considering we went in with only one proven key position player (riewoldt).

that we still won against a bombers outfit who were clearly taking it much more seriously than us must give our guys huge confidence both for the nab cup final and the real season.

cool heads won it. i thought ball was critical when it was in the balance as was xavier, my vote for best on ground. dal kicked a couple of important goals too.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

and armo Done it again

and he needs to be in the senior side so bad!

go sainters

this year is ours

!!!!

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Go armo is all I can say, Ball seems to recovered speed wise, but doesn't look to have the confidence to kick long yet.

But we are still short on KP backmen aren't we.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Fri 29 Feb 2008 10:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

St.Damo's Fire
Club Player

Re: a pretty impressive win

bigcarl wrote:considering we went in with only one proven key position player (riewoldt).

that we still won against a bombers outfit who were clearly taking it much more seriously than us must give our guys huge confidence both for the nab cup final and the real season.

cool heads won it. i thought ball was critical when it was in the balance as was xavier, my vote for best on ground. dal kicked a couple of important goals too.
And you can bet your bottom dollar that the bomber fans will be bleeding about that free kick........and when they look at it with both eyes OPEN they will see that it was clearly there! :lol: :lol:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

on the subject of the umpires, i thought they were p#sspoor. too many soft frees and 50 metre penalties

too often they think it is all about them; that we pay to go and watch them play god and decide winners and losers. over-officious d*ckheads.

at their best, which isn't very often, they pay the obvious free kicks and are seen and not heard.

ThomasR
Club Player

First game I've been to this year, shocking umpiring (even though it fell our way in the last quarter), but a lot of positives for the Saints.

Armo was very good in the last particularly extracting the ball from packs, quite impressed. CJ also good, reads the play very well, kicks little lollipops but can keep working on that. Good attack.

King's tap work was terrific, picked out Lenny a few times at the start, Gardiner's not as good but he did okay down forward. Certainly a better option than Rix, romantic as it might seem he just won't make it as a defender, too slow, hands aren't sure enough and below average disposal.

Thought we might have been a bit hopeful with Schneider after he shanked a kick to Roo on the lead but he improved as it went on, that goal was exactly what we've been missing in the forward line. Milney's in trouble.

Also good - C Gardiner did enough, Roo looked alright, Hayes was ok (but might get reported for a raised elbow? Bit off the ball in the 3rd quarter, hope the MRP don't read this site), Montagna all class, and Bally seemed to be moving a lot more freely - great mark at the end and a few other nice bits of play.

Often been a Blake critic but he was quite good tonight, running back with the flight to spoil on a couple of occasions - including the one where Neagle? jumped into his back and got a free kick - wtf

Often been a Fiona critic too and tonight no exception, lost all confidence when he gave away the 50m and was plain ordinary after that, not going for the ball in case he f's it up again. Think it's time to give Geary (who I'm disappointed didn't play) and co. some game time.

Alwyn Davey is bloody quick.

Right, that'll do for now, it's only the NAB Cup but I'm a lot more excited about '08 than '07. Read a few posts from the Blitz web site and am very glad we shoved it right up their arrogant backsides - that holding the ball in front of goal at the end was absolutely golden (and there).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mostly positives tonight but I will just mention the negitives IMO. Rix and Fizz are not up to it. King is a good ruckman but cannot take a contested mark. Cannot think of many others apart from CJ disposal and that even includes handball.

Great win in the end.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Mostly positives tonight but I will just mention the negitives IMO. Rix and Fizz are not up to it. King is a good ruckman but cannot take a contested mark. Cannot think of many others apart from CJ disposal and that even includes handball.

Great win in the end.

but geez...i love his chasing and tackling.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gO.SainTs
Club Player

Just came back from the game about 25 minutes ago, was pleased with the win, but I felt very dissapointed with the umpires.

Armo kicking that goal was excellent, but getting a little tired of Bombers supporters claiming "it was not a free kick", but watching the replay, I could see him diving for the ball and not trying to get it out.

(By the way, I heard that if Adelaide kick more than 7 goals against Hawthorn and win, the GF is played interstate. Is that true? I'm not completely sure of that yet.)

Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

ThomasR wrote:Often been a Blake critic but he was quite good tonight, running back with the flight to spoil on a couple of occasions - including the one where Neagle? jumped into his back and got a free kick - wtf.
Yeah, what the hell was with that... stupid rule...

Also, when people get done for holding the man when the man has dropped the ball... thats s***s me to no end

St.Damo's Fire
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:on the subject of the umpires, i thought they were p#sspoor. too many soft frees and 50 metre penalties

too often they think it is all about them; that we pay to go and watch them play god and decide winners and losers. over-officious d*ckheads.

at their best, which isn't very often, they pay the obvious free kicks and are seen and not heard.
Spot on, couldn't agree more.

Foxer53

what about RAF CLARKE tonight he was absoulutely S***house he is not doing the job in my oppinion cost us alot in defence and did not have many good disposals on top of that his ball handling was C**P jeez i reckon there were at least three players left out of the side who could have been more imposing than Raf

on the topic of clarkes though very impressed with X man he was terrific under the packs and in the middle disposal was off a tad but then it is only pre season

schnieder is exactly what this team needed at crucial times apart from his first touch (leaving roo stranded from a crook kick) his disposal and goal shooting was excellant

imagine how good the season will be without any injuries

stick that dons :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Legends of their Sports:
Dal Santo
Robert Harvey
Richard Dunne
Micah Richards
Nick Riewoldt
Elano
Petrov
Jason Gram
ThomasR
Club Player

Has Raph ever made eye contact with somebody that he has handballed to?

Foxer53

exactly finally someone agrees

Legends of their Sports:
Dal Santo
Robert Harvey
Richard Dunne
Micah Richards
Nick Riewoldt
Elano
Petrov
Jason Gram
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Any win over Essendon is great.
That's just bloody sweet.
My Essendon mate is trying to pretend it didn't happen, as though February 29 2008 was like February 29 2007

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs