Saints bandwagon is ready to roll - The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

my les foote
Club Player

Saints bandwagon is ready to roll - The Age

Saints bandwagon is ready to roll

Rohan Connolly | February 29, 2008

ST KILDA has become used to carrying the burden of big pre-season expectations these past few years, and the sense of deja vu at the moment is particularly striking.

The reasons for that buzz are several: a strong finish to 2007 that yielded seven wins, a draw and three narrow losses from the last 11 games; the recruitment of four established senior players, three of them with premiership medallions; and now, two good wins and a spot in tonight's NAB Cup semi-final against Essendon.

The first win came with a depleted team against a virtual full-strength Richmond line-up. Last week, still missing several senior hands, the Saints knocked over Geelong.

With pundits currently compiling their 2008 ladders, more than a handful have St Kilda pencilled in as the Cats' most serious challenger. And with stars such as Nick Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes, Luke Ball and Robert Harvey returning for tonight's clash, you can expect the bandwagon to load up in the event of another win.

Which is all par for the course and vaguely amusing to a club that is aware of the hype, but remains focused on getting appropriate game time into its guns and blooding some up-and-comers.

"There's not much to say at the moment, because it's only the NAB Cup," said football manager Matthew Drain yesterday. "In 10 weeks' time, it might look a bit different."

What tonight might underline is not only the depth of talent, but the versatility at coach Ross Lyon's disposal.

One of those premiership recruits, Adam Schneider, will be unveiled as a midfielder capable of alternating with Stephen Milne as a goalkicking forward.

With Michael Gardiner returning to share ruck duties with Steven King, Michael Rix might occupy a key defence post, though Gardiner could well be used also as a key forward, especially as Fraser Gehrig and last week's five-goal spearhead Justin Koschitzke will be absent this evening.

Then there's the youngsters to get excited about: a potential new star in Sam Gilbert; Jarryn Geary, super-impressive in St Kilda's two NAB Cup wins thus far; the pacy and prolific ball-winner Clint Jones, who looks to have improved further; midfielder David Armitage, and last week's winning goalkicker, Jack Steven, still just 17.

St Kilda won't be fazed should it lose this evening, nor will it be doing cartwheels should it win. It's actually had practice at downplaying pre-season success.

Last time the Saints won the pre-season competition, in 2004, then coach Grant Thomas and skipper Hayes were photographed holding the trophy with expressions that made them look as if they'd just suffered a death in the family.

But St Kilda will also remember that 2004 win as a springboard to a flying start to the season proper, which yielded 10 straight victories and, for a time, red-hot flag favouritism.

Favouritism won't be a problem this year given the popular love affair with the all-conquering Geelong. But a victory over the Bombers this evening, another next Saturday night, and the Saints will surely be dealing with predictions of impending greatness.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 42427.html

Win it for HIM!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now....

Our list looks better than I think I have ever seen it.

On the back of the last two weeks NAB cup matches, our depth looks so much better. All the kids look capable, not just fillers.

Anyhoo....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
markp
Saintsational Legend

Favouritism won't be a problem this year given the popular love affair with the all-conquering Geelong
Great point... no matter how well we go we can keep underdog status, for what it's worth....

hAyES
Club Player

bigred wrote:I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now....

On the back of the last two weeks NAB cup matches, our depth looks so much better. All the kids look capable, not just fillers.

Anyhoo....
Have to agree with you there. I didn't realise how good we looked, but then it popped out to me when I made my best 22 in a thread a couple of days ago. If everyones fit and no injuries, there's no excuses this year.

yipper
SS Life Member

hAyES wrote:
bigred wrote:I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now....

Anyhoo....
Have to agree with you there. I didn't realise how good we looked, but then it popped out to me when I made my best 22 in a thread a couple of days ago. If everyones fit and no injuries, there's no excuses this year.
Last year has really been a blessing for us - the club really did take stock over summer and put everything in place to have a decent crack at it this year.. They recruited well both on and off field. Have worked hard on fitness and structures - and are developing the youngsters very nicely.

I am more interested (yes, excited) in this footy season than I have ever remembered being previously.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

Pre-season premiers again. For the 5th time in the last 6 years.

If the media keeps doing this maybe they'll get it right some time.