Our Best 22 - Depth is Good

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ashjam
Club Player

Our Best 22 - Depth is Good

Afte the first 2 NAB games it is obvious our depth is excellent.
If our fitness staff do their job and we have some luck it will be a difficult Thursday night each week for the selection committee:
After much deliberation here is my attempt:
Can't believe that I cannot fit Schneider or Geary in at this stage!

B: Gilbert Hudghton Baker

HB: S.Fisher Maguire Gram

C: Montagna Hayes Dal Santo

HF: C. Gardiner Riewoldt X.Clarke

F: Milne Gehrig Koschitske

R: King Harvey Ball

I/C: Goddard Blake M.Gardiner R.Clarke

Emerg: Schneider, Armitage, Birss, Dempster, Fiora, L.Fisher, Geary, Gwilt, C.Jones, Rix, J.Allen, Ferguson

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

schneider would be in the top 22

BallBanger
Club Player

Re: Our Best 22 - Depth is Good

ashjam wrote:Afte the first 2 NAB games it is obvious our depth is excellent.
If our fitness staff do their job and we have some luck it will be a difficult Thursday night each week for the selection committee:
After much deliberation here is my attempt:
Can't believe that I cannot fit Schneider or Geary in at this stage!

HB: S.Fisher Maguire Gram

C: Montagna Hayes Dal Santo

HF: C. Gardiner Riewoldt X.Clarke

F: Milne Gehrig Koschitske

R: King Harvey Ball

I/C: Goddard Blake M.Gardiner R.Clarke

Emerg: Schneider, Armitage, Birss, Dempster, Fiora, L.Fisher, Geary, Gwilt, C.Jones, Rix, J.Allen, Ferguson
Not bad however i would like a harder edge up forward rotating the likes of Hayes/Dalsanto/Ball/Joey/Harvey/X through hF/FP/Bench.

HB:Geary S.Fisher R.Clarke

C: Gram Hayes C.Jones

HF: Schneider Riewoldt X.Clarke

F: Ball Koschitske C.Gardiner

R: King Dal Santo Montagna

I/C: Goddard Harvey M.Gardiner Maguire

Emerg: Armitage, Dempster, Fiora, J.Allen, Ferguson

lot of hard running midfielders rotate through ff/fp/bench gives us a harder edge up forward to hold ball in.
I'm not sold on Gtrain/Milne combo as ball comes out without real effort from same.
Kossie unlike GTrain, hits pack hard opening up many opportunities.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Assuming everyone is 100% fit

B: S.Fisher, Hudghton, R.Clarke
HB: Gram, Maguire, Goddard
C: X.Clarke, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, C.Gardiner
F: Gehrig, Koschitzke, Milne

Foll: King, Ball, Dal Santo
Int: Baker, Blake, Gilbert, Harvey

We now have plenty of AFL standard players outside of our best 22. Charlie Gardiner needs to keep up his good form, but he has been excellent so far and it would be incredibly tough not to name him.

Depth

B: Ferguson, Gwilt, Attard
HB: L.Fisher, Miles, Dempster
C: McQualter, Armitage, Eddy
HF: Fiora, Allen, Jones
F: Steven, McEvoy, Connors

Foll: M.Gardiner, Birss, Geary
Int: Chivers, Howard, Rix, Van Rheenen

Emg: Haretuku

Of the depth team, I would have no issue if Attard, L.Fisher, Miles, Dempster, Armitage, Eddy, Fiora, M.Gardiner, Birss or Geary played the majority of the season in the seniors. Ferguson, Gwilt, McQualter, Allen, Jones and Steven can all come in occasionally and hold their own as well.
Last edited by mad saint guy on Sun 24 Feb 2008 5:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Interesting to see a lot of love for C.Gardiner, just don't get ahead of yourselves yet guys, every Geelong supporter I know has told me the same thing, he is the sort of play that gets your hopes up, shows signs he will be something special and then lets you down, until he can play 5 solid consecutive H&A games he will not be in my starting 22 when all players are fit...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Interesting to see a lot of love for C.Gardiner, just don't get ahead of yourselves yet guys, every Geelong supporter I know has told me the same thing, he is the sort of play that gets your hopes up, shows signs he will be something special and then lets you down, until he can play 5 solid consecutive H&A games he will not be in my starting 22 when all players are fit...
you might be right, but the signs so far are good. also, don't forget allen. a decent size and seems to know where the goals are

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Obviously we have a few players that pick themselves but I do believe players like Baker and Maguire may have to work hard to be 'automatic' selections. By this I mean, if Geary or Armitage are playing well...Bakes may need some compromising pics of Ross to get back in and if Max is fit and Charlie and Dempster make the most of the first couple of rounds before Goose is fit he may have to borrow those pics.

Round 1

Gilbo Max Raph
Geary S. Fisher Gram

Joey Hayes X

Charlie Riewoldt Schneider
Milne Kosi G

King Dal Ball

Gardiner Armo Blake Harves

Fiora Allen Dempster

Baker (Susp) Maguire (Inj.) Goddard (Inj.)
Last edited by Ghost Like on Sun 24 Feb 2008 7:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

esaint66
SS Life Member

today i was commenting to people about our depth because when we lost midfield players in the past we didnt have any younger players that could just step in but now that they've had the expierience of nab cup i think they can come in at anytime.

Foxer53

why do you think Raf Clarke he hasn't done anything special so far in the NAB cup and has had some bad clangers too :? :? :?

Legends of their Sports:
Dal Santo
Robert Harvey
Richard Dunne
Micah Richards
Nick Riewoldt
Elano
Petrov
Jason Gram
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Foxer53 wrote:why do you think Raf Clarke he hasn't done anything special so far in the NAB cup and has had some bad clangers too :? :? :?
Played one game and that was good so not sure what you mean.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Foxer53 wrote:why do you think Raf Clarke he hasn't done anything special so far in the NAB cup and has had some bad clangers too :? :? :?
i thought he was excellent in that particular game. among our best on the day

TwoTowers
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Interesting to see a lot of love for C.Gardiner, just don't get ahead of yourselves yet guys, every Geelong supporter I know has told me the same thing, he is the sort of play that gets your hopes up, shows signs he will be something special and then lets you down, until he can play 5 solid consecutive H&A games he will not be in my starting 22 when all players are fit...
Don't listen - they are just annoyed that we have him as he is coming into his prime. No Cat fan could have been disappointed with Gardiner's efforts last season as he played consistently well. He picked up a career high 19 disposals in rnd 2 and was then dropped to the twos where he kicked 40 goals yet couldn't make it back to the senior squad. Played in the Cats VFL premiers and named in the best 10 times

savatage
SS Life Member

TwoTowers wrote:
Don't listen - they are just annoyed that we have him as he is coming into his prime. No Cat fan could have been disappointed with Gardiner's efforts last season as he played consistently well. He picked up a career high 19 disposals in rnd 2 and was then dropped to the twos where he kicked 40 goals yet couldn't make it back to the senior squad. Played in the Cats VFL premiers and named in the best 10 times
They also tried to build him up & make him into a CHF, which he clearly is not! He's fined down with us & is playing that more mobile role that he suits.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

For Charlie go to >>>

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... c&start=25

I'm an unashamed fan of our Gardiners.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Here's a second 22, which is what we can expect to see happen if we get injuries, as far as replacements go.

B: Blake Miles Geary
HB: Dempster Gwilt Ferguson
C: Fiora Armitage Jones
HF: C. Gardiner Allen Steven
F: Connors McEvoy Eddy
Foll: Rix, Birss, McQualter
IC: Van Rheenen, Chivers, Howard, Attard

jackal
Club Player

My two Cents Worth

L.Fisher Maxy Goddard
S.Fisher Maguire R.Clarke
X.Clarke Ball Montagna
C.Gardiner Riewoldt Gilbert
Gehrig Kosi Schneider
King Hayes Dal Santo
I/C M.Gardiner Baker Geary Harvey

I doubt this would ever happen with Suspensions/ Injuries etc. but on the fringes Milne, Gram, Fiora. Just behind Blake, Jones.

Actually I think a long kicking, fast paced and hard tackling side will win the flag (for a change ! ;-) ). This is our best chance to win the flag in my time (I'm just under 30yo). Our gaping weaknesses look potentially covered (ruck, small forwards and Tall Defenders). The Key will be the Clarkes (esp. X.) Montagna, Dal and a fit Ball getting protected in the middle and hitting the forwards on the tit inside 50 rather than on the wings as has been the case in the past.

Still think we will lose against the Bombers next week though (cash would be nice but really couldn't give a toss!)

Scum

jackal wrote:
I doubt this would ever happen with Suspensions/ Injuries etc. but on the fringes Milne, Gram, Fiora. Just behind Blake, Jones.
Gram on the fringes? Are you on crack?

I made this account when I was young and I don’t know how to change the name
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Scum wrote:
jackal wrote:
Gram on the fringes? Are you on crack?
wouldn't have put it quite like that but..................

gram is easily in the best 12 players, and is vital for the make up of the team, people are quick to dismiss

again with the milne bashers, milne to me is absolute must in our best 22

fqf

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Scum wrote:
Gram and Milne are BEHIND Jones and Blake.

Surely you're kidding.

Jones is improving, and Blake isn't the deasd weight he sometimes appears to be but Milne is an absolute game winner and Gram is crucial for our current game plan.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
Scum wrote:
Gram and Milne are BEHIND Jones and Blake.

Surely you're kidding.

I think he meant that just behind Gram and Fiora are Blake and Jones....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

One change in original team - Max OUT Leigh Fisher IN
Don't get too carried away with our "depth". As all the teams which have won the last 111 premiership demonstrate, the best team with the least injuries wins the flag. Each year there are about four or fives teams which, given their best squads, could win the flag. Of these, the one with the least injuries, wins.

If someone can provide me with the team that had four of their top ten out and still won the flag, then I will recant.

rexy
SS Life Member

Absolutely loving this debate, so far the first side did not have enough mids and the second side only had 1 genuine ruckman. Its hard isnt it?

Maybe this year?
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I disagree with that, a Cats fan at my work was totally gutted to lose Charlie.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
hAyES
Club Player

If Charlie Gardiner were still on the Cats people would be talking about how **** he is and that he has accomplished nothing. With Roo, Kosi and Gehrig I don't think there's room for Mr. Gardiner.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:If Charlie Gardiner were still on the Cats people would be talking about how **** he is and that he has accomplished nothing. With Roo, Kosi and Gehrig I don't think there's room for Mr. Gardiner.
I think having Roo and Gardiner in the team will be great. It frees Riewoldt up from his duties as a linkman on the wing, and he can stay closer to goal.

C. Gardiner will play as a HFF/Wing, and may kick a few goals, but he should be focusing on goal assists and I50's.