NAB cup 15th of Feb team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

NAB cup 15th of Feb team

With only 6 weeks till the first preseason game how is the preseason team looking?

I would be looking at resting the likes of ;

Harvey, ball, BJ, G, king, max, goose and fish

I would also look at getting some game time into the younger players so not playing baker (wont play the first month anyway) and the need to play the Van and Gardiner in the ruck means that rix could get a rest till perhaps the last preseason game, we know what we have with him, unlike the other two.

The likes of hayes, dal, joey, fizz and other senior midfielders need to play to get miles into their legs.

So my NAB cup team for the game against the tigers is looking like

FB dempster allen geary
HB gram chips raph
C X dal fizz
HF c.Gardiner Roo fergusson
FF schnieder kosi milne

R Gards Hayes joey
I: VR gilbert eddy armo birss howard/cj/stevens/mini

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
peter lockwood
Club Player

I reckon your about right i dont think Ross thinks to much of the competition.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i think bakes is allowed to play in preseason games cause his suspention is only for the actual season so seeing as though he will miss the first few weeks of 2008 ill imagine hell get a run in the preseason to get up to fitness with the rest of the team so he can slot straight back in once his time is up

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Solar
Saintsational Legend

was thinking along the same lines but personally I would rather we leave the likes of baker, max, rix et al out because we know where they pit in the puzzle. I would like to see the younger players who train the house down (see eddy) get a big run during the preseason.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintm
Club Player

Is is just me, or does the pre-season seem to be going a little more quickly this year?

Would give Baker a run or two personally. Surely there would be nothing worse than training all pre-season knowing that the season proper is going to be a month over before you can even think about having a run.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'd play all the newbies and kids and not risk anyone important before round 1. then hit it with everything

yipper
SS Life Member

saintm wrote:Is is just me, or does the pre-season seem to be going a little more quickly this year?
Would give Baker a run or two personally. Surely there would be nothing worse than training all pre-season knowing that the season proper is going to be a month over before you can even think about having a run.
Yep, it is flying by!! Only 6 weeks til the opening NAB cup and probably only 5 weeks before the intra-club.

Gardiner will have to play NAB cup to give him a game of footy and see how he pulls up.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I'd play all the newbies and kids and not risk anyone important before round 1. then hit it with everything
The so called important players need a run or two.

saint4life
goodie
Club Player

My guess is something like

FB: Dempster Gwilt L. Fisher
HB: Gram S. Fisher Gilbert
C: Howard Ball Montagna
HF: X. Clarke Riewoldt Schneider
FF: Milne Gehrig McEvoy

R: King Hayes Fiora

I: C. Gardiner Blake Ferguson Birss Howard Steven

KATETHESAINT
Club Player

nab cup

any idea wen tix go on sale

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i would like to see charlie gardiner , birss , armo, gwilt , cj , ferg ect get some big mins in the preseason give them a real crack at fighting for a spot in the 22 cause at full fitness i can only really see 2 spots in the starting 22 that wouldnt be an automatic selection

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
saintm wrote:Is is just me, or does the pre-season seem to be going a little more quickly this year?
Yep, it is flying by!! Only 6 weeks til the opening NAB cup and probably only 5 weeks before the intra-club.

Gardiner will have to play NAB cup to give him a game of footy and see how he pulls up.
so only 4 weeks and 3 days before the Community camps? ( :wink: But who is counting :) )

and many of us will be working again by then.
Bakes should get a run.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:I'd play all the newbies and kids and not risk anyone important before round 1. then hit it with everything
true, but the season proper is a marathon and before it is over they will have all had plenty of running.

i take your point about them needing match fitness, but i couldn't care less about the pre-season comp. i'm looking at the 2008 premiership

i'd rather see us go into round 1 with as close to a full-strength side as possible.

that's my point of view, but i can see yours

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

give mini an extended time in the center during the insert sponsors name cup

no point in playing dal

ball yes depending on fitness....if fit he should play as much as possible

why play roo???

kosi at chf/ff and allen a key forward role with charlie gardiner

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:give mini an extended time in the center during the insert sponsors name cup

no point in playing dal

ball yes depending on fitness....if fit he should play as much as possible

why play roo???

kosi at chf/ff and allen a key forward role with charlie gardiner
players are payed to play the game so unless they have a concern they should be playerd unless they are playing on some country sandpit the stars should get a bit of a run leading up to the season proper

chook23
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
chook23 wrote:
true, but the season proper is a marathon and before it is over they will have all had plenty of running.

i take your point about them needing match fitness, but i couldn't care less about the pre-season comp. i'm looking at the 2008 premiership

i'd rather see us go into round 1 with as close to a full-strength side as possible.

full-strength......by name or by name with a run or 2

if it is by name without a run or 2 it is not full strength.

saint4life
yipper
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
chook23 wrote:

full-strength......by name or by name with a run or 2

if it is by name without a run or 2 it is not full strength.
Agreed. All players will be given a run to get them ready to play. It may be they play half of each NAB cup game or praccy match. But they will be conditioned ready to play serious footy in Rd. 1.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:It may be they play half of each NAB cup game or praccy match. But they will be conditioned ready to play serious footy in Rd. 1.
fair enough. let's hope they err on the side of caution and one of our guns doesn't go down with a knee or something (god forbid).

personally, it think "match fitness" is over-rated when it comes to guys who can already really play the game.

i'd just love to see us field close to our best team in round one and sound a warning to the rest of the competition that we're coming.

that's the one that counts

The Peanut
Club Player

On talking with Ross Lyon pre-season 2007 he just gave a cheesy grin regarding NAB-Cup success but he has been around the club for over 12 months now and he will have a better understanding of players strengths and weakesses compared to last year. Surely he would even have a better understanding of the new recruits comparerd to this time last year.

I also think that he would be much more aware now that a successful NAB Cup campaign and early premiership season successes can generate memberships.

I'm not saying that he will be 'gung-ho' in the NAB-Cup but these factors and his general club mechanics awareness will probably come into play to some degree.

Quixote
SS Life Member

I just really very badly want to win Round Two.

We've copped the cheats at the wrong time of the year however because they'll be trying.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:I just really very badly want to win Round Two.

We've copped the cheats at the wrong time of the year however because they'll be trying.
which of the cheats have we got? carlton i presume

Quixote
SS Life Member

Yes it's them and Judd fever will be peaking too.

Just have a bad feeling about that game - the Blues are kinda due against us.

If we don't knock off the Swans R1 we could be zip and two.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Just have a bad feeling about that game - the Blues are kinda due against us.
we ought to smash them ... i hope

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

After seeing Lyon's NAB cup side last year, I think our line up will be something along these lines...

B: Miles, Gwilt, Chivers
HB: Ferguson, Gilbert, Dempster
C: Eddy, McQualter, Birss
HF: Geary, C.Gardiner, Steven
F: Milne, Allen, McEvoy

Foll: M.Gardiner, Armitage, Jones
Int: Blake, Connors, Howard, Haretuku, van Rheenen

After we lose that game I think all of the regulars will get a run or two in the practice matches.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:After seeing Lyon's NAB cup side last year, I think our line up will be something along these lines...

B: Miles, Gwilt, Chivers
HB: Ferguson, Gilbert, Dempster
C: Eddy, McQualter, Birss
HF: Geary, C.Gardiner, Steven
F: Milne, Allen, McEvoy

Foll: M.Gardiner, Armitage, Jones
Int: Blake, Connors, Howard, Haretuku, van Rheenen

After we lose that game I think all of the regulars will get a run or two in the practice matches.
Looks good to me.

I remember wathcing Thompson go down last year with that knee and kleaveing the ground thinking "poor b@star@rd".......imagine if that was Riewoldt?.....um....season?

I know you cant wrap em in cotton wool etc etc BUT if they are gonna go down - do it in a game worth 4 pts at least. I also dont buy the "match fitness"stuff for pros like Riewoldt - a half or two would see him up to speed IMO.

“Yeah….nah””