Training Report - Friday 21st December 8am

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Trojan
Club Player

Training Report - Friday 21st December 8am

Well I trundled down to training this morning. I only stayed until 9 or so, perhaps others can fill in the blanks from later on.

Quite a thin crowd today, I guess 10 or 12 of us there.

Most of the list seemed to be there, notable absentees:
-Fraser G (presume he's away/resting)
-Baker (unless I'm blind)

It was a lacksidasical start from most of the boys, I guess 8am is not their preferred kick off time! They didn't really get moving until about 8 30.

To be honest, by the time I headed off, they had hardly finished their warmup.

Leigh Fisher was just running laps (strongly, mind you) so perhaps that was out of punishment for being late!

Gee S King looks a great unit. He looks keen and ready to play straight away and seemed pretty invloved with the team.

It was good to see Goose out there for a short while. He didn't have his big moonboot on, but headed into the rooms shortly after warmup I think.

Reiwoldt is front and center as always. Leading the boys with a renewed spirit. You really get the feeling he wants to grab 2008 and give it a real shake. I really like Hayes/Ball et al but I think we just need the one captain, make it Roo, and this will put the team in great standing.

I don't mean to end on a negative note but I think Gardiner is gawn. Sure, he was doing all the drills and generally looking fit, but I just couldn't see any fire in the belly. He was always one step behind the group and seemed to be, dare I say it, a loner at training. It was almost like he was there all by himself. I hope that others who went to training can better explain what I mean, he wasn't really interacting with anyone.

I really hope he can prove me wrong, but I won't be holding my breath.

Looking forward to hearing how they finished off the morning. Sorry no photos from me either.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks for the Report Trojan :wink:

Much Appreciated.

Go Sretnias Go
Club Player

Gardiner trained the same way early in the year, always gives the impression that he is not interested and a bit of a loaner. However, reports coming from the coaches are positive, which is good, and he seems to be working closely with King.

I would really like to see King and Gardiner take their ruck roles by the scruff of the neck and dominate next year - would create a lot of opportunities for Harves, Bally, Dal, Lenny, Monty etc. and increase our win rate enormously by creating many more forward opportunities.

Once a Sainter always a Sainter.
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Are there any more for the year? You'd hope the boys get at least Christmas off.

gosaintas
Club Player

well I was there and stayed till 10ish and Gardiner put in big time. He seemed enthusiastic, energetic and seemed to get on fine with the others. He shared a bit of a joke with Harvey and ran himself into the ground later with King.

Thought it was a good session. Lyon absolutely flogged them. Raph looked fit, Armo looked lazy and at one time he was running a time trial with Joey and one of the coaches was heard to say " if you can't beat him on the track, how are you going to take his spot?" Did I say he looke lazy?

Blake has trimmed down and looks super fit, Dal looked great in the footy match they were playing but looks crap in the time trials. Gwilt looks hopeless, Harves looked $1million, Ball wasn't there, Kosi only ran laps but looked fit, Goddard looked great and very fit, Huddo didn't do a lot. Rooey looked awesome, Sam F. looked superfit and seems to have bulked up.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Darren
Club Player

Interesting report. Which Gardiner are we talking about? I'm confused :(

The Peanut
Club Player

Hi thanks for the reports guys - I got there very late - it was very hot and steamy - x and banger were doing laps when I arrived and they both looked absolutely spent by the end of them. I will do a bit of a report later if there is any gaps to fill, but I will get my photo's sorted now. As mentioned a full-on training session in very hot conditions.

The weights relay race was carried out right at the end of training. As you can see they had to keep the weights above their heads and each player run two lengths before passing the weight to the next guy. There was a bit of excitement, yelling and cheering by all the boys, especially towards the end.

EDIT: Training images now up for those interested.
http://westofmoorabbin.com/
Last edited by The Peanut on Fri 21 Dec 2007 3:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

gosaintas wrote:well I was there and stayed till 10ish and Gardiner put in big time. He seemed enthusiastic, energetic and seemed to get on fine with the others. He shared a bit of a joke with Harvey and ran himself into the ground later with King.

Thought it was a good session. Lyon absolutely flogged them. Raph looked fit, Armo looked lazy and at one time he was running a time trial with Joey and one of the coaches was heard to say " if you can't beat him on the track, how are you going to take his spot?" Did I say he looke lazy?

Blake has trimmed down and looks super fit, Dal looked great in the footy match they were playing but looks crap in the time trials. Gwilt looks hopeless, Harves looked $1million, Ball wasn't there, Kosi only ran laps but looked fit, Goddard looked great and very fit, Huddo didn't do a lot. Rooey looked awesome, Sam F. looked superfit and seems to have bulked up.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
What did the new blokes train like ?

gosaintas
Club Player

Mate I don't know the new blokes. There was a kid in a moon boot type of thing who was very big so I guess that was that Sydney rookie. Charlie Gardiner looked really good ( At least I think that's who it was). Schneider didn't do anything much.

Dunno the rest

milney044
Club Player

luke you're gunna kill me when i post this but...

i went to training.

geez the boys look great, especially this time of year. it was boiling even though i thought it was meant to pour... they work so hard i thought theyd finished about 5 times before they went on to do another drill.

if we get king and gards on the park (who were doing laps but working very hard), other teams better watch out. Dal looks the goods along with lenny, roo is professional as always..

ross certianly let em know when he wasnt happy, often stopped the drill to point out their mistakes. CJ's kicking is still off but i think his fitness has improved on last year. Armo still doesnt look cut for an AFL footballer, not fit enough.. but its early days?

Bakes and Ball werent there. Rixy and Blake are suprisingly fit, watching blake makes me realise why he gets the jobs on the big names sometimes, eg Goodes, Cousins... Blakeys got an engine, might have had something to do with him finishing top 10 in the B&F. Ive never been a blakey fan but i understand a little more why hes rated highly at the club.

The usuals stood out at training.. Rooey, Dals foot skills, Lenny, Milney works hard etc.

The boys were in good spirits and full of encouragement, good to see. Schneider didnt participate in the main drills, mainly ran laps but all the boys are working hard what ever they're doing. Ross certainly doesnt want them slacking off during the break, this was apparently one of the hardest sessions.

Geary and Eddy appear to be the fittest of the youngens - by a long shot i'd say.

The boys had an Xmas Barbie at the club after training.

One drill ive never seen was towards the end where they each had to carry a weight over their head and run the full length of the oval and back, very hard stuff!!

The amount of running our boys did with so little breaks inbetween i thought was awesome, they really look like their working hard and taking it seriously.

thats pretty much it, and sorry folks ive got no photos.

by the way milney is the nicest bloke :wink:

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
spiral2
Club Player

i caught training as well, it was a huge session, good to see!
as gosaintas said, they got absolutely flogged

they did a very long warm up session, led by Misson I'm guessing
heaps of stretches, including "bow and arrow" and what I like to call 'the hump'. quite amusing and a wider range of stretches than I've seen before.
warm up must have gone for at least half an hour, gentle run throughs and all the stretching

after that there was so much going on and so many different groups it was hard to remember everything. there was a guy in the stands with a clipboard taking lots of notes, hope it was a saintsationalite, not a spy

after warm up they did some sort of shuttle run in groups of about 8
the more. The more seasoned guys seemed to do well in this and would often be mid table and then come home strongly at the end.
Jack Steven gave it a red hot crack and was blitzing his heat before he got tuckered out toward the end.

Disappointing - Howard (I thought this guy had a strong athletic base & was quick??), Joey (not as quick as I thought he'd be).
McEvoy was very slow out of the blocks but came home well. Armo - quite slow - small stride.

They did kicking drills and then a match simulation after this I think.
Two teams, with Ross handing the ball to the opposition for bad decisions/skills/taking too long. There wasn't really great movement but not too bad.
No designated kicker, seemed to be whoever was nearest.
Dal did well. C. Gardiner did well also, playing as a lead up HFF his decision making seemed alright, maybe he just loses it on match day?
X did some nice things - he has got skills to burn. If you think he doesn't, go to training and keep an eye on him.

The ruck division Gardi, Rix, King, LVR did some drills separately.
Pretty hard work with lots of push ups, contests and running to get to ruck contests. They were at the far end so didn't catch who dominated.

There was heaps of running through the session & a good amount of contact/tackling work. There seemed to be an emphasis on match day fitness, eg 1min repeated tackle bag attacks followed by 1min? rest and 1km? competitive run.
The midfielders hit the tackle bag hardest, Dal, Lenny, Joey. Howard was very good too. Allen hardly hit the bag at all, just kinda fell on it.

Gwilt and Allen were terrible in the 1km run (in all the competitive runs). Both v slow and unfit looking.
Rix, Eddy, Birss, Blake, Jones all ran fast and strong.
Dal and Lenny were round the middle of their packs. Roo ran well.
C Gardiner did well. Fizz struggled at bit as did Joey.
McEvoy and Mini had a great tussle in there group, lots of competitive spirit which was good to see, both sprinting to finish even though they were knackered.

X and Harvs ran some serious laps together and X looks 100% fitter than last preseason, pretty much kept up with Harvs. They really ran themselves into the ground. X is my tip for a big year.

M Gardiner did the full session, no fitness probs. Looks alright, good skills, fitness ok and competitive in the ruck work. Didn't see that closely but seems like if he wants to play this year he'll go alright.

absentees
baker, Ball, G train, Miles (I think), S. Madden

modified
harves, X (did heaps of hard running & both participated in some full ground drills)
Khan - in moonboot
BJ - looked good, did some running and kicking and some of the main group stuff
Dempster - just some light skills
L Fisher - ran solid laps then disappeared
Grammy - some running and light skills
Goose - just skills, did some short kicking
Max - working with SOS, was going at it pretty hard, doing drills without much running (contest & recovery stuff)
Kosi - ran on his own, quite hard and fast + skills
Spiderpig - running (some drills?)
Geary - running (some drills?)

that's about all I can recall sorry, it was a really huge session

spiral2
Club Player

PS -
chivers did well in the running as well.
Allen nickname = Woody
SOS runs like a chicken-penguin

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Thanx for the great training reports guys - :shock:

Stand your ground :shock:
Solar
Saintsational Legend

awesome training reports, great to hear about how much running they are doing. A big fitness base seems to be the key to this preseason.

Hopefully all of jan is just as full on

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

milney044 wrote:luke you're gunna kill me when i post this but...

i went to training.
Damn straight!! >.<
blah. If only i'd had known someone else was gonna go I woudl have too!!

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
saintly
Saintsational Legend

thanx for the reports. great to hear training reports from those that go. keep it up folks

Raven
Club Player

spiral2 wrote:Spiderpig - running (some drills?)
Spiderpig?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Raven wrote:
spiral2 wrote:Spiderpig - running (some drills?)
Spiderpig?
Shnider

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
nicko016
Club Player

Thanks for the reports everyone. Conflicting reports on Michael Gardiner but at least he's on the track and at a reasonable level of fitness which he has barely had while with us.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:Hi thanks for the reports guys - I got there very late - it was very hot and steamy - x and banger were doing laps when I arrived and they both looked absolutely spent by the end of them. I will do a bit of a report later if there is any gaps to fill, but I will get my photo's sorted now. As mentioned a full-on training session in very hot conditions.

The weights relay race was carried out right at the end of training. As you can see they had to keep the weights above their heads and each player run two lengths before passing the weight to the next guy. There was a bit of excitement, yelling and cheering by all the boys, especially towards the end.

EDIT: Training images now up for those interested.
http://westofmoorabbin.com/
Who won? !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the reoprts guys, this is what I like to hear, hard training sessions led by Ross the Boss :D :D :D

I'm getting a bit more optimistic about C.Gardiner, he has impressed a few at training and he is super fit, I am hoping that he could be a half forward flank player that serves as a linkman sort of like Riewoldt this year, allowing Roo and Kosi to stay closer to home, IMO Xavier is going to have some strong competition for spot next season, hopefully he steps up to the challenge...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
The Peanut
Club Player

Eastern wrote:Who won? !!
I don't notice such things I'm afraid 'Eastern' - I think that I lost a fair amount of brain cells shortly after I met 'rogerwa'. :wink:

M Gardiner – I have been to three training sessions in the last month and he is working very hard and looks to be coming on really well. When I arrived there was the three skyscrapers - Gardy, Kingy and ‘the van’ doing laps with a gismo attached to them.

X was pretty well keeping up with Harves in their running and it looked to me that they were measuring just how much is too much - and in the end they were both wrecked.

‘Armoooo’ - Anyone who thinks that X won’t make it in the 22 lives in a far distant land to me, I’m afraid.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I don't believe that he has a guaranteed spot in the team next year because IMO he doesn't do enough, for a guy that had as much time in the forwardline he hasn't done nearly enough... Doesn't kick enough goals, doesn't apply enough pressure and doesn't set up enough goals, I am interested to see how he goes with a full pre-season but as of now he is no guarantee...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
spiral2
Club Player

The Peanut wrote: M Gardiner – I have been to three training sessions in the last month and he is working very hard
seemed to be working quite hard to me as well, didn't notice any aloofness either

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

who is Huddo gosaints?

riccardo- last training for 2007 today
then back after new year- I would imagine around 14th Jan

great reports thanks all- and pics peanut.

from photos looks like Bj was working on getting rid of the MWL
hey The Peanut- is there anyway of making your carousel slideshow?
my hand / mouse and eye control are...........

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107