Is Kosi overrated?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Is Kosi overrated?

With all due respect to the man, it seems to me we, the St.Kilda fans and the media hold Kosi in too high regard.

I'm aware that his injuries have been crippling, and he has struggled to string games together. But it just seems that his worst is really, really bad, and that very rarely does he have a significant impact on games.

The only games I can remember him really dominating in are rounds 14-17 2005, round 12 2007 v Eagles and to an extent round 22 this year. He seems to be so inconsistent, and any comparison to Riewoldt, when looking at output seems farcical to me.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Kosi overrated?

i think you'll see a different side to him when, hopefully, he is settled into a key forward position this season and given a decent run at it.

his ability to take contested marks promises to add a missing dimension to our forward line, making it virtually impossible for oppositions to double-team riewoldt

in the past he's been used as a bit parts player and shunted all over the place. hard for anyone to really develop without a set role
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 18 Dec 2007 3:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darryl Strawberry

Yes

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Without doubt.

Would be interesting if he could get say...a full season on the park for once.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yes he is overrated because he hasn't done anything YET!!!
Hopefully as of next year calling him the best key position player going around will be an understatement...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Didn't he win the Rising Star in his first year of football, playing at CHB?
I would have thought that was a pretty consistent year of footy.

I'm pretty sure the other 15 coaches spend plenty of time worrying about who to match up with him, wherever he plays.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i think next year is the year we should judge him on, he was basically injury free this year, so next season he should be 100% ready for a big one......

hopefully

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bozza1980
Club Player

I think in the truest application, he is overrated.

He is still rated on potential as he is yet to have a clean run apart from his first season in league footy.

If he can go for an extended period of time injury free, he'll be able to live up to the hype.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

it depends on how you feel he is rated i think the media have him still as a potential star player rating he has still got a lot to improve on but if he will reach the heights of Roo well that is to be seen . kosi could end up being anything but soon the injury excuse is gunna run a little thin

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
GrumpyOne

Overrated in performance when measured against his potential.

Needs to string some perfomances together like he did a couple of years back, when for 3 or 4 games he was unbeatable.

Starting to question his mental ability to raise himself to the next level.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

No he is not overrated... he is a massive impact player, whose 8 or 9 possies a game are worth 20 from other players.. even last year he had enormous impact on quite a few games.. sure, it often lasted only a quater or 2, but he deserves his standing as one of our best players..

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

can't this question asked about all but harvs on our list? the word "overrated" comes with another set of questions like how the media rate him, why is he rated this way by the media etc.

many would have grounds to say jonathon brown, riewoldt and even judd are overrated.. it all depends on how highly each individual person rates the player.

i for one think kosi is something special, with full fitness he will become a superstar. whilst he is injury prone, he has shown courage and resilience to stick at it and continue to confidently approach packs and contest in the ruck.

each individual has a different viewpoint so how a player is "rated" varies depending on the individual...

i don't know if anything i just said made sense but at least i had fun typing it :wink:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Winmarvellous
Club Player

One of the most over-rated players going around ATM, but not his fault. Had a purple patch, which many thought set the standard for his contribution to the team, and have based their opinions on this. At his best, he's a great player, but WAY too inconsistent and injury prone to be rated in the upper echelon of players going around atm. Hopefully this can improve, but if not, is defintitely worth keeping around for when he is fit, or POTENTIAL trade value if needed. Don't go off your heads, this is just my opinion, and in no way is a call for Kosi to be traded or the like.

woooosaints
Club Player

Winmarvellous wrote:One of the most over-rated players going around ATM, but not his fault. Had a purple patch, which many thought set the standard for his contribution to the team, and have based their opinions on this. At his best, he's a great player, but WAY too inconsistent and injury prone to be rated in the upper echelon of players going around atm. Hopefully this can improve, but if not, is defintitely worth keeping around for when he is fit, or POTENTIAL trade value if needed. Don't go off your heads, this is just my opinion, and in no way is a call for Kosi to be traded or the like.
i think he had an underrated year he booted something like 20 goals averaged about 16 disposals a match and 15 hitouts had a very good year playing ruck for most of it

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:
Winmarvellous wrote:One of the most over-rated players going around ATM, but not his fault. Had a purple patch, which many thought set the standard for his contribution to the team, and have based their opinions on this. At his best, he's a great player, but WAY too inconsistent and injury prone to be rated in the upper echelon of players going around atm. Hopefully this can improve, but if not, is defintitely worth keeping around for when he is fit, or POTENTIAL trade value if needed. Don't go off your heads, this is just my opinion, and in no way is a call for Kosi to be traded or the like.
i think he had an underrated year he booted something like 20 goals averaged about 16 disposals a match and 15 hitouts had a very good year playing ruck for most of it
Actually 13 disposals, 8 hitouts and 13 goals, any player can seem awesome when you exaggerate... Or perhaps you are just joking and going for irony by overrating him?? who knows...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
woooosaints
Club Player

well thanks for checking hes still a great player in my eyes :D

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

woooosaints wrote:well thanks for checking hes still a great player in my eyes :D
This is probably overrating however on his day I believe him to be in the top few players in the league, right up there with Brown and Judd...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
woooosaints wrote:well thanks for checking hes still a great player in my eyes :D
This is probably overrating however on his day I believe him to be in the top few players in the league, right up there with Brown and Judd...
lets wait and see how judd go's a carlton first he a good player but i dont think hes anywhere near as good as some ppl make him out to be

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
lets wait and see how judd go's a carlton first he a good player but i dont think hes anywhere near as good as some ppl make him out to be
Agree with you there, one of the best players in the league no doubt, but he is not the legend that he is made out to be.... I am so sick of hearing commentators blowing his load every time he gets the ball....

However his best day is probably better than anyone elses....

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Has been over-rated by a majority of posters on this site IMO. Hasn't really done much to justify his star rating apart from three BOG's in a row and a couple of other games. Otherwise, a GOP when he's been on the park. Needs to lift a lot this year. No excuses any more. No pre-season injuries, no fractured skull lurking in the background. Could be a great player, but have been been using the words "could be" about him for five years plus. Time to deliver. Same goes for X. Clarke.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
woooosaints wrote:
Actually 13 disposals, 8 hitouts and 13 goals, any player can seem awesome when you exaggerate... Or perhaps you are just joking and going for irony by overrating him?? who knows...
That (yours) was a very good post.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Snakeman66
Club Player

This is the win loss ration of all players from 2003-2007. Worth a look.

http://afl.allthestats.com/teams/player ... &yrto=2007

Hope this works.

Don't dwell on the past.
Look to the future.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Means very little IMO...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
Have you got those rose coloured glasses stuck on. You question Judd who no doubt is the best player in the AFL but you dont question Kosi who basically hasnt done anything since his first year except for 4 games 3 years ago.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
Judd who no doubt is the best player in the AFL
No doubt? I think you are buying into the hype a little too much IMO, what puts him so far ahead of everyone else? He rarely dominates a game like Jonathan Brown can and he doesn't have the consistency of B.Harvey or Bartel... His best days aren't that much better than that of Ablett, Dal or Burgoyne...