Cheer Squad

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint-Nick
Club Player

Cheer Squad

Sorry if this info is posted elsewhere, but every time I do a Search I get a 'forbidden' page...

My question is: What's involved in being part of the Cheer Squad? What is expected? What can I contribute? It just seems like a very low price to have tickets, and I've always wondered how you become one of the POM POM people! How does it work?

Thanks for that!
________
Mflb
Last edited by Saint-Nick on Sat 26 Feb 2011 10:42am, edited 1 time in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Try sending a PM to SaintDooley, I'm pretty sure it was him who is a member of the cheer squad...

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/priv ... ost&u=1963

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cheer Squad

Saint-Nick wrote:Sorry if this info is posted elsewhere, but every time I do a Search I get a 'forbidden' page...

My question is: What's involved in being part of the Cheer Squad? What is expected? What can I contribute? It just seems like a very low price to have tickets, and I've always wondered how you become one of the POM POM people! How does it work?

Thanks for that!
hey nick.
that $20 membership only gets you behind the goals. you still need to buy a normal membership ontop of that.
there isnt to much to be expected, just cheer and wear our colours.
the big pompom things are called 'floggers' and you get one of them by getting to the game early. its first in best dressed, so people who want floggers are usually lining up outside the gates by 11.30-11.45am for a normal 2.10pm game.
as armoooo said, you can pm me if you want. :wink:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

cheersquad membership would be on top of your memebship but it is reasonable.

there are or have been several on ss over time who have been in the cheersquad.

search tip;
in google or other search engine type your topic heading and follow it with '- saintsational' and you may/ will/ could get a link that is nead what you want

ie 2007 trivia thread - saintsational

will get you with several links to SS posts.
http://www.google.com.au/search?sourcei ... ntsational

or cheersquad- saintsational
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&r ... onal&meta=

or even a poster
ie n1ck-saintsational
http://www.google.com.au/search?sourcei ... ntsational

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Saint-Nick wrote: My question is: What's involved in being part of the Cheer Squad? What is expected?
the ability to come up with lame-ass chants

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:
Saint-Nick wrote: My question is: What's involved in being part of the Cheer Squad? What is expected?
and a thick hide for when everyman decides your 'i't for the week :shock:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
LennyBoy
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:
"We wanna another one, just like the other one" :lol:

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

LennyBoy wrote:
The_Dud wrote:
"We wanna another one, just like the other one" :lol:
this thread could degenerate very very quickly...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Why not throw out the challenge to those who wish to BAG the Cheersquad !!

If you think you can do better than those in there, PROVE IT. Just getting on here and BAGGING the CHEERSQUAD does absolutely nothing for anyone !!

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Why not throw out the challenge to those who wish to BAG the Cheersquad !!

If you think you can do better than those in there, PROVE IT. Just getting on here and BAGGING the CHEERSQUAD does absolutely nothing for anyone !!
could not aggree any more! :D

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Ok, here's some constructive advice - I recommend those who are key members of the Saints Cheersquad attend a Melbourne Victory home game and sit with the Northern Brigade (or whatever they're called).

You'll quickly get an idea of what a good cheersquad is!!

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Ok, here's some constructive advice - I recommend those who are key members of the Saints Cheersquad attend a Melbourne Victory home game and sit with the Northern Brigade (or whatever they're called).

thankyou for your very helpful advice :roll: :roll: :roll:
but what does melb victory get for their cheer squad? is it 6 Bays?
we only get 1/2 a bay!
some people think the cheer squad is the whole area near the goals, but its only about the first 9 rows in the bay behindthe goals!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Ok, here's some constructive advice - I recommend those who are key members of the Saints Cheersquad attend a Melbourne Victory home game and sit with the Northern Brigade (or whatever they're called).

thankyou for your very helpful advice :roll: :roll: :roll:
but what does melb victory get for their cheer squad? is it 6 Bays?
we only get 1/2 a bay!
some people think the cheer squad is the whole area near the goals, but its only about the first 9 rows in the bay behindthe goals!
It's not an official cheersquad - more like the Moorabbin Wing - unofficial, very loud, very passionate!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Just out of curisoty what is the Moorabbin wing like? are thye loud do they get into it? I've never noticed them I don't think... I've seen the signs outside the aisles but other then that I'd have no idea...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

We've always thought of our 'cheer' squad as the 'murmur' squad.

It may have improved since Dooley got on board!

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

LennyBoy wrote:"We wanna another one, just like the other one" :lol:
Go Go Whoooo !!!! :lol:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Pffft...I posted this in the A League thread in the General Forum...apologies for the cross-post but I reckon it has relevance here..the day our CS refuse to turn up to a game or deliberately go mute..well THEn they can be compared to these alleged "supporter groups"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just wanted to chuck in my 5c worth on the alleged "supporter groups" of the Melbourne Victory..

The publicity that the Blue & White Brigade et al recieved last season when the Victory were flying has obviously gone straight to their heads.

All season we've been hearing about how the poor lil' darlings have been mistreated by the Club and Telstra Dome. Yes they provide great atmosphere at games, but heres a newsflash boys and girls..the rank and file supporter still turn up to watch a game of football, not listen to you lot. Call yourself a supporters group?? Pfft what do you do when your poor lil ego's are pricked cos you dont get your own way? REFUSE TO CHANT!!!! Thats right, you stop supporting the team. Brilliant. Is it Archie Thompson's fault that TD dont want you all toppling over the edge of Level 3 when you "jump for the Victory"?

Do you know why you cant sit at the Lockett end any more? ..cos Telstra Dome have had to introduce segregation. Why? Because these supporter groups cant (or dont want to) control the ratbag minority element who think its their God-given right to hurl abuse at opposition fans inside and outside the ground..just like they do at all those EPL and European games..guess it was too much to ask they Australian football could get by without degregaation. Nice work kids.

Saints fans were peeved at the start of this year cos of the ridiculous rules on commercial food. Cant remember the CS or MW or anyone else sitting there like deaf mutes during the game having a sook about it though.

So..I say to anyone assocaiated with these groups..your team is playing like crap at the moment. Seeing as you all wear the number 12 on your backs. modestly proclaiming you are the "12th player" on the team..maybe you need to lift yourselves like the other 11 do. Stop acting like a bunch of "look at moi look at moi" spoiled brats and get behind your fricking team!!!

Oh..and one other thing. What kind of moronic name is "Southern Death Crew" for a supporters group?? That'll get the families in LOL

/rant

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

lol 66!
thats awesome! :lol:

saint_mite
SS Hall of Fame

uhhh back to the topic about what being in the cheer squad allows you to do, instead of just comparing it...
if you participate in banner making sessions, usually on friday night at the oval in Moorabbin, you get a chance to go out on the ground with it and hold it up. as Dooley mentioned, getting there early gives you the privilege of a front row seat and the responsibility of a flogger. there are bus trips organized for interstate games and finals if we get there.
I'm sure there are more perks, but i'm too occupied worrying about my results tomorrow to think of them :P :roll:

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint_mite wrote:uhhh back to the topic about what being in the cheer squad allows you to do, instead of just comparing it...
if you participate in banner making sessions, usually on friday night at the oval in Moorabbin, you get a chance to go out on the ground with it and hold it up. as Dooley mentioned, getting there early gives you the privilege of a front row seat and the responsibility of a flogger. there are bus trips organized for interstate games and finals if we get there.
I'm sure there are more perks, but i'm too occupied worrying about my results tomorrow to think of them :P :roll:
good luck

try not to stress...if you dont get the required score just work your way up

all the best

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saint_mite wrote:uhhh back to the topic about what being in the cheer squad allows you to do, instead of just comparing it...
Oh yeah I forgot about results tomorrow :lol:
Is there anyway of finding out your student number? or am I going to have to wait until the letter gets sent out?? :? :? :?

Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
Is there anyway of finding out your student number? or am I going to have to wait until the letter gets sent out?? :? :? :?
I just remembered mine from writing it on too many exam papers.
Now that I've got it, I don't want it. Anyone wanna trade enter scores?

Too lazy to update my username
saint_mite
SS Hall of Fame

Saints-06-Premiers wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
I just remembered mine from writing it on too many exam papers.
Now that I've got it, I don't want it. Anyone wanna trade enter scores?
yeah thats how I remembered, and also of all the pages of my art folio...
my score gets me into my courses pretty easily.... but your right, now that i've got it I don't want it. more of a curiosity thing :P

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Armoooo wrote:Just out of curisoty what is the Moorabbin wing like? are thye loud do they get into it? I've never noticed them I don't think... I've seen the signs outside the aisles but other then that I'd have no idea...
Atmosphere is great and friendly - but we shouldn't represent it as something it's not... as a whole, Saints fans are pretty quiet folk... the guys who started the Moorabbin wing do a great job of attempting to lead chants, (my favorite being "Stephen Milne walks on water", because it doesn't even rhyme, they obviously just like the chant from it's previous incarnations), but it takes half the game before most St. K fans are really willing to do their bit in the "St. Kilda clap clap clap" chants.

There have been some great moments when the ball is stopped on the wing in close games where the wing has roared. My favorite of '07 was late in the game v Crows, there was this Adelaide guy down the front of my aisle (I sit a on the edge the Moorabbin wing, down the centre line) with a squeeky voice, who kept trying to chant lead (I was impressed by their fervour, with far less presence on the wing, they made an appreciable amount of noise for Adelaide). The game was close, Saints fans had gotten into it, this guy stood up, started chanting... and the Moorabbin wing exploded, weight of numbers totally drowned this guy out.

Doggies game was building the same way... place was nuts for a second until everyone figured out Roos shot had fallen short.

I think one of my favourite things about the Moorabbin wing is the growth. I remember years ago running into one of the guys in Readings in Carlton (I recognised him and said hi because I'd seen him going nuts for the Saints the wk before, and it was still rpetty special to do so in those days!), and he told me about this Moorabbin wing they were trying to get going. It obviously took off to a degree in '04, but even sitting a couple of Aisles over from the main pack now, I'm surrounded by St. Kilda colours (though given the real estate, there are always some opposition supporters there too) and they've got the signs up on 3 gates.

You get the feeling that it's growing into something special. The guys who put the signs up are young (ish, don't know exactly how old, but they shouldn't keel over in a hurry!), and full of passion... I'm a big fan of the Moorabbin Wing, the footy buskers, and the culture that is emerging around the Saints at TD. I really wish it was possibly for us to play a final there, I bet that would be the match to the tinderbox that would ignite the Moorabbin Wing into a force... we would own that building, and once achieved, I think people would make it stick.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The guys who put the signs up are young
Please come up and introduce yourself...you just scored yourself a free beer for that comment !! :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor