Only one captain next year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Who would you choose as sole captain in 2008?

Nick Riewoldt
47%
Lenny Hayes
53%

Total votes: 76

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Only one captain next year?

Scott Palmer hints in his column in the Herald Sun this morning that the Saints may revert to only 1 captain of the club next year.

He writes that it will be between Nick Riewoldt and Lenny Hayes.

Now, whether Mr. Palmer is trying to drum up a story out of nothing, or whether he has actually heard something is another question.

But if you had to choose, as sole captain in 2008, either Nick Riewoldt or Lenny Hayes, who would you vote for?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
RBnW
Club Player

Roo is the stand out with Lennie as Vice Captain...his B&F speech was the shift for me.... :D :D

Our best is yet
to come......
ben_fff
Club Player

I wouldn't mind either of them getting it.

midas_touch
Club Player

Both would be great choices, but I think Lenny's style of play embodies the role of captain just a little bit more.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

I'd choose Lenny but Nick has grown, maturity wise, in the last year.

For inspiration? Riewoldt without a doubt

For an example? Hayes

For media attention? Riewoldt (although he has had his bad times)

For pure leadership? Hayes

I think Lenny ticks all the boxes as the perfect captain however I would be surprised if he is given the job over Riewoldt.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Look at Riewoldt's speech at best and fairest. It has to be him.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Brian Collis
Club Player

I think we should have 22 captains. One for each week

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i think riewoldt. he is the best player we can put on the park and his leadership year was wrecked by injury.

plus i'll never forget that day he came off against brisbane injured with a couple of dogs still attacking him.

esaint66
SS Life Member

well lets just look at it when hayes was soul captain in 2004 the saints missed out on the grand final by a kick plus we won the wizard cup and hes just got more grit and determination all over the ground plus hes not the kinda guy that will stand out in the media so that could have advantages

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:I'd choose Lenny but Nick has grown, maturity wise, in the last year.

For inspiration? Riewoldt without a doubt

For an example? Hayes

For media attention? Riewoldt (although he has had his bad times)

For pure leadership? Hayes

I think Lenny ticks all the boxes as the perfect captain however I would be surprised if he is given the job over Riewoldt.
I second that.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

People who are swayed by Nick because of his speech at the B & F, how do you know that Lenny hasn't also done an equally inspirational one behind closed doors? You only know that Nick made a stirring speech because it was in public.

I think that Nick has really stepped up in maturity over the past 12 months, but as someone else stated when Lenny was the sole captain in 04 we had our best season with this current crop of players. Lenny flies the flag more than any other player too.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt is a superstar of the AFL, and his stature and profile are almost unrivalled.

He is already the face of our club -- as evidenced by his appearance at the Frankston announcement -- and his maturity and consistency on-field see him as our best player by far.

Players of his ilk and standing are few and far between, and he is on par with Buckley and Hird in that sense.

When people think of St Kilda, they think of Riewoldt.

He must be captain.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Lenny by a mile. Has always shown great leadership qualites on the field. Nick's not there yet.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
BelfastSaint
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:Riewoldt is a superstar of the AFL, and his stature and profile are almost unrivalled.

He is already the face of our club -- as evidenced by his appearance at the Frankston announcement -- and his maturity and consistency on-field see him as our best player by far.

Players of his ilk and standing are few and far between, and he is on par with Buckley and Hird in that sense.

When people think of St Kilda, they think of Riewoldt.

He must be captain.
I agree ..... I think Riewoldt can play inspiring games as captain .
I also believe that if another candidate was chosen as captain,it would be the first step in Riewoldt heading north ....

SteveStevens66
Club Player

[quote="saint edward"] "hayes....'soul' captain" :wink:

You got that right. Lenny has captaincy written all over him.

Carna Saints!!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

The captaincy won't do much for Hayes. He's grown as much as he can as a player, and is already respected enough without the need for this role.

Riewoldt is different; as captain, you feel his game will continue to improve and the 'ownership' he has over the club will grow.

I don't doubt Lenny's competitive fire, but I feel Riewoldt is a ready made captain at the right age.

Jokes aside, it's a bit like choosing Wayne Carey or Anthony Stevens to lead the Kangaroos during the 1990s.

A quiet, unassuming midfielder or a dominating forward capable of turning matches?

The pick is Riewoldt, and by comfortable margin.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I go for Lenny Hayes.
If you consider the effect of captaincy on a player, you would not consider either of them. It would have to be Kosi. 11 Brownlow votes in 4 games as Captain, who has equalled that ever!

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

As an on field leader, Hayes without a doubt. I think that is the most valuable aspect of leadership in terms of us winning a premiership, all the media attention and that stuff is hooo haa when compared to the real important aspects of leadership.

Carpe Diem
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:The captaincy won't do much for Hayes. He's grown as much as he can as a player, and is already respected enough without the need for this role.

Riewoldt is different; as captain, you feel his game will continue to improve and the 'ownership' he has over the club will grow.

I don't doubt Lenny's competitive fire, but I feel Riewoldt is a ready made captain at the right age.

Jokes aside, it's a bit like choosing Wayne Carey or Anthony Stevens to lead the Kangaroos during the 1990s.

A quiet, unassuming midfielder or a dominating forward capable of turning matches?

The pick is Riewoldt, and by comfortable margin.
I like quoting accurate and sensible posts.

And what Belfast Saint says has some truth to it ...

peter lockwood
Club Player

Roo for me,he is the face of St.Kilda.Lenny was a great captain and player dont get me wrong.But being captain isnt just what you do on the field its what you do in the media,and in my opinon Nick has the edge.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lenny has been a proven leader and is very popular with the players and IMO gets more respect from the players than Rooy. Lenny should lead but I think it will be the same 3 unless Bally doesnt want the pressure.

bozza1980
Club Player

Big Roo for me.

He is the face of the club and I think it improves his game.

That said, I would not be disapointed with Leonard getting the gig!!

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

BelfastSaint wrote:I also believe that if another candidate was chosen as captain,it would be the first step in Riewoldt heading north ....
if not being chosen is what it takes for riewoldt to leave then we might as well trade him off now...i doubt he would be sour over it - but if he was, then we honestly dont need people like that at the club

we shouldnt have to make club decisions to suit one particular player (exceptions for sir robert)

Winmarvellous
Club Player

One year for Harves. Give him his swansong as a premiership captain! Lenny and Roo will both be there next year. :lol:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It's a non-contest, Roo by a mile.

Lenny doesn't have the same physical presence as Roo.....that real tough hardness is what we lack.

Lenny is very hard also, don't get me wrong, but he aint a bit lump of lad like Roo.