Vodafone Dumps Saints For Roos

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Huzzad
Club Player

Vodafone Dumps Saints For Roos

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/r ... 27260.html
VODAFONE will be unveiled as the white knight of the Kangaroos, after the telecommunications giant agreed to a two-year naming rights sponsorship deal with of the club worth almost $2 million.

The deal has been personally negotiated by newly-installed Kangaroos chairman James Brayshaw, who has been in contact with Vodafone over the past four months.

A verbal deal was agreed to in the days before this year’s AFL grand final, but the global telecommunications giant wanted confi rmation that the club would not accept the AFL’s offer to relocate to the Gold Coast.
At the end of last season, Vodafone walked out of its two-year deal with St Kilda, citing dissatisfaction with access to star players as one reason.

Due to the AFL’s deal with Telstra, Vodafone cannot broadcast match highlights to its three million customers, but it can provide interviews with players and behind-thescenes content from the clubs it sponsors.

As St Kilda co-captain Luke Ball had a pre-existing sponsorship to be one of Telstra’s sporting “ambassadorsâ€

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
RBnW
Club Player

Brayshaw and the vodafone GM have become mates, well the Vodafone GM would like to be Brayshaws mate, Brayshaw woudnt waste his time with him if he wasnt sponsoring 3MMM and now the Roos....it makes no sense to jump off us and go to the Roos, they get less crowds, less Tv viewers and have less members and are a crappy brand.......the word from insiders at Vodafone is that the Head office guys in Sydney are not happy the local guy dumped us and are even less impressed he wants to go with the Roos which doesnt fit there other high profile sponsorships........ :oops:
The insider told me that they need to grow thier business connections in Melbourne and that the local GM is under a lot of pressure to do this quickly, so how can the Roos be better than us for doing that.....I read in the Age yesterday (i get it delivered you know) that it is a one year deal with a 1 year option....insiders are saying the GM wont be there that long if he doesnt stop getting his head in the social pages and start getting some business in.....the word is we didnt loose them becase of Bally, Telstra or anything else other than the ego of the local guy who loves being in the social pages and smoosing with Brayshaw......oh and by the way thier network coverage is crap.... :lol: :lol:
He thought he would walk in and get the Carlton sponsorship, but optus told them where to go, getting Cralton would have been good for business connections, so he looks a bit silly having already dumped us and now ending up with the Roos....when he goes from Vodafone so will the Roos sponsorship end.....if he was serious about the Roos he should be doing a longer deal that one year...but his head office wont let him.... :oops: :oops: maybe something in that :?: :?: :?:

Our best is yet
to come......
esaint66
SS Life Member

yeh but just think if the kangas moved to the gold coast vodafone would have denied the roos the sponsership due to vodafone already sponsering the lions there for having 2 teams in the same state with the same sponsership :? but hopefully the saints get a sponser where i can get good benifits with it :D

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

A club with a smaller supporter base, smaller membership, fewer games in Melbourne, fewer Friday night games, fewer matches on FTA television, fewer perceived "star" players and less success over the past five years.

WTF was going through Vodafone's mind when they did this deal?

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:A club with a smaller supporter base, smaller membership, fewer games in Melbourne, fewer Friday night games, fewer matches on FTA television, fewer perceived "star" players and less success over the past five years.

We gave them crap service.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:A club with a smaller supporter base, smaller membership, fewer games in Melbourne, fewer Friday night games, fewer matches on FTA television, fewer perceived "star" players and less success over the past five years.

agreed although we did stuff vodaphone around big time...like most of our sponsors in the rb era

however could it be seen that vodaphone get increased exposure due to the kangaroos plight??? seeing as they are going to be the team in the news this year it seemingly isnt the worst business decision going around

i doubt vodaphone give two s***s where the kangaroos go after the two year sponsorship is up...in the end the relocation debate involving north isnt going to go away soon...hence the increased exposure for the clubs major sponsor

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
RBnW
Club Player

This is a pure and simple Ego driven deal by the local Mr Vodafone....he thinks Brayshaw is his best mate, wait till you're not a sponsor Mr Vodafone :wink: ....Vodafone Head office is pissed off with him :oops: :oops: .....it makes no sense to them that they dumped us unless they picked up Carlton and Pratts business :evil: .....he thought he would walk out of the Saints and into Carlton :P :P ....Optus told them to get lost :oops: :oops: .....so he was left with nothing and had burned us :oops: :oops: :oops: ....he has convinced head office that it (Roos)would be a good deal :wink: :wink: ...but Head Office are not happy with the deal or the way he positioned it that he would only back the Roos if they stayed, Head Office don't like political stuff, that may piss off Gold Coast customers, which is what he has done by taking a stance to back the Brayshaw camps plan :x :x ....He is supposed to be growing the Vodafone business in Victoria :shock: :shock: ....everyone knows inside Vodafone that this will be another 1 year deal, which is not what they want..... :x :oops: :roll: :oops: :oops:
You dont last long in big companies when you do this sort of thing....Brayshaw better look for a new mate soon.......and Mr Vodafone better start selling some phones...... :oops: :oops:
There is nothing good about this deal for Vodafone the company its all about the local Mr Vodafone and building his personal profile..... :? :? :?
The quicker he gets to Carlton the better it sounds like he would be a good fit there :twisted: :twisted: :shock:

Our best is yet
to come......
Rice Paper
Club Player

It's already been mentioned on this thread, Vodafone thought they got Carlton and Visy, but it was just Pratt playing one phone provider off with another. The phone provider are almost paying Visy for them to use them if you add on the Carlton sponsorship.

Vodaphone, thought they were upgrading when they went from us to the blues, but pratt shafted them. Pratt isn't one of the richest men in Oz for nothing, and he isn't afraid of shafting a few to get what goof for him, Carlton and Visy.

4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

You also might note the size of the deal...saints were asking a lot more - and they seem to have got it...

RBnW
Club Player

i think we are well shot of Vodafone, crap coverage & no loyalty to dump us after one year.....my contact at Vodafone is saying that we were dished up a raw deal last year by the local guy.....and the Head office people are watching Mr Vodafone now....

are you saying that we are getting a lot more from the new sponsor than Vodafone paid.... :?:

Our best is yet
to come......
4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

RBnW wrote:are you saying that we are getting a lot more from the new sponsor than Vodafone paid.... :?:
Considerably more... I hear Tuesday may be the announcement of the details by Fraser and Westaway,

RBnW
Club Player

4theluvoftheclub wrote:
RBnW wrote:are you saying that we are getting a lot more from the new sponsor than Vodafone paid.... :?:
Considerably more... I hear Tuesday may be the announcement of the details by Fraser and Westaway,
Considerably....well I hope so...they promised a sponsor when I voted for SFF...so I am hoping for a good one....I will keep the radio on at work on Tuesday......wouldnt it be funny if it was IPrimus from the Roos... :oops: :oops:

Our best is yet
to come......
4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

RBnW wrote:
4theluvoftheclub wrote:
Considerably....well I hope so...they promised a sponsor when I voted for SFF...so I am hoping for a good one....I will keep the radio on at work on Tuesday......wouldnt it be funny if it was IPrimus from the Roos... :oops: :oops:
$2mil for 2 years for vodaphony...I think you'll find the SFF sponsor is way better ...

freeseptember
Club Player

New major sponsor will be announced tomorrow. Fantastic deal for us - I can say no more.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

We gave them crap service.
Have you tried using a phone on thier network? Talk about crap service.

Dumped them myself for Telstra. I know they are evil, but the service is second to none.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:...the word from insiders at Vodafone is that the Head office guys in Sydney are not happy the local guy dumped us and are even less impressed he wants to go with the Roos which doesnt fit there other high profile sponsorships........ :oops:
T

yep...and one of those sydney guys is a mate of mine...and he is a mad keen saints supporter........you are on the money here........

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:Have you tried using a phone on thier network? Talk about crap service.

Dumped them myself for Telstra. I know they are evil, but the service is second to none.
I'm with Vodafone... and they've been the best company I've ever used... (Been with Telstra, Orange and Optus previously).

They walk amongst us...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
RBnW wrote:...the word from insiders at Vodafone is that the Head office guys in Sydney are not happy the local guy dumped us and are even less impressed he wants to go with the Roos which doesnt fit there other high profile sponsorships........ :oops:
T

yep...and one of those sydney guys is a mate of mine...and he is a mad keen saints supporter........you are on the money here........
I actually think that is completely not true. From what I hear no one at Vodafone was happy with the service they got and as early as half way through the year they were going to dump us.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stinger wrote:
T

I actually think that is completely not true. From what I hear no one at Vodafone was happy with the service they got and as early as half way through the year they were going to dump us.

What exactly was the issue? What did they get that was inferior in their opinion and what didn't they get that they were expecting?

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

They expected our star players to go to whatever ebents and pluig whatever crap they wanted.

Our players aren't corporate whores like other Vodafony sponsored sports people *cough*David Beckham*cough*, they are football players, this needs to be the primary focus, not photo shoots and in store apperances. :roll:

Maybe they'll be pleased with Norfs wealth of star players like...........um, help me out here, guys.

ben_fff
Club Player

riccardo wrote:They expected our star players to go to whatever ebents and pluig whatever crap they wanted.

Our players aren't corporate whores like other Vodafony sponsored sports people *cough*David Beckham*cough*, they are football players, this needs to be the primary focus, not photo shoots and in store apperances. :roll:

Maybe they'll be pleased with Norfs wealth of star players like...........um, help me out here, guys.
Aaron Edwards... David Hale

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

ben_fff wrote:
riccardo wrote:They expected our star players to go to whatever ebents and pluig whatever crap they wanted.

Who and double who?

Try again.

ben_fff
Club Player

riccardo wrote:
ben_fff wrote:

Who and double who?

Try again.
wow

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

It was actually the service they were promised by the president and the board. None of it came to much at all. The players was a smaller issue.

At some functions people from the Saints who should know better did not behave in a great way. I will leave it at that.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It was actually the service they were promised by the president and the board. None of it came to much at all. The players was a smaller issue.

At some functions people from the Saints who should know better did not behave in a great way. I will leave it at that.
Thanks for the info.