No Shows to the Vic VS Dream Team Game Could Be Suspended

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

No Shows to the Vic VS Dream Team Game Could Be Suspended

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/comm ... 22,00.html
PLAYERS who sit out next year's AFL all-star showpiece game will be ineligible to play for their clubs the following week.
Absolute Crap, I don't want any St.Kilda players playing in such apointless event, there is nothing in it for the club, it's only more money in the AFL's pockets....

How about Geelong they could have up to 12 players participating in this game.

It is a ridiulus concept, there's not even any honour in representing the 'dream team' why should any player be forced to represent some coroprate gimmick?!?!

Not impressed....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

From BF, in response to the interstate whingers:
I love the Ryder Cup concept, and the President's Cup concept is a winner too.

We're basically doing the same thing for Australia, and it will work.

It's not a slap in the face to the other states, and here's why:

- Of the top 50 players right now, at least 50% are Victorian.
- Of the total players in the league right now, around 48% are Victorian.
- 10 of the 16 AFL clubs are based in Victoria (it's football heartland - like it or lump it).

It's a celebration of a game invented in Victoria, and we're inviting the rest of the nation to come together and pit your best 25 against our 25 in the name of celebrating the game we love.

Screw petty state politics - it's a chance for everyone to put one over the Big V on their own deck in front of their own fans.

Personally? I can't wait.

Besides, since all the WA/SA fans just love SoO and their local leagues so much, why don't they make a bigger deal of their SANFL v WAFL clashes?

Seriously? You guys claim to be hell bent on SoO - but you can't pull a real crowd to your SoO league clashes. You've had your go at SoO now this is what we want.

We've finally got it, and it's going to be huge. Beating SA or WA is pointless (would be like US taking on Spain or France in golf); beating Australia, well, that's a challenge worth pursuing.

Besides, if you lot were so keen on SoO to begin with, you wouldn't have let it die. And the problem is that everyone is *really* only interested in one game - the game vs Victoria. Well, where does that leave us?

Bored - and looking for a decent challenge. Plus the game looks likely to pull in $500,000 in cash for charity; why would you want to boycott that?
I don't care if our players are involved or not - I just want to see the best 50 players out there.

FFS...for the good of the game, it's going to be a great spectacle. Can't we just enjoy it for what it is?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

freeseptember
Club Player

hey Armoo, are you happy with the recent announcements?

noddy

I really think that what a lot of the "interstate whingers" are upset about is the ridiculous jumper that the "rest" will be wearing. It will be worse than the Crows jumper(which is a joke). I am sure that all West Australians would rather be wearing the Black and Gold jumper of their state and that all South Australians would rather be wearing their State jumper just as the Victorians want to see the Big white V.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Which recent announcements would they be?

I think that the AFL are in the wrong by trying to make players participate.
Players should be invited not demanded to arrive, if players are forced I would love nothing mroe than to see a player refuse to go for the ball, make an absolute joke out of the whole thing, it wont even be the best 50 players, Victoria's ruckmen are likely to be Jeff White and Josh Fraser, how many of you would have them in the best 50 in the league, I like the idea of the two coaches doing a draft like thing to pick the teams, why make it one state vs everyone else? It is just plain stupid...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
noddy

I think i read somewhere that each player in this one off game will be paid $10,000

Not to be sneezed at for the average punter is it :D

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i like the draft idea
two coaches each one gets to pick 22 players for the game (from a list of players nominating to agree to play ) it is a slap in the face to the other states wearing a "dream" team jumper almost as bad as the WC playing in the WA state jumper it was just wrong should not happen

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Fairest way to do this...

Have the best 3 players from every side compete in this 'non' event.

This way, every side has the same disadvantage the following week (For example, Geelong and Richmond play the following week, Geelong may have up to 12 play, Richmond may have 1 or 2)

This has to be the only fair way of doing it.

I have emailed the AFL about the idea.

They walk amongst us...

saintm
Club Player

noddy wrote:I think i read somewhere that each player in this one off game will be paid $10,000

Not to be sneezed at for the average punter is it :D
Is almost certain that the $10,000 paid to each player will go into the AFLPA's fund to help retired players.

Article from today's Herald Sun titled "Stars to donate match fees".

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html
Last edited by saintm on Wed 28 Nov 2007 6:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:Fairest way to do this...

Have the best 3 players from every side compete in this 'non' event.

This way, every side has the same disadvantage the following week (For example, Geelong and Richmond play the following week, Geelong may have up to 12 play, Richmond may have 1 or 2)

This has to be the only fair way of doing it.

I have emailed the AFL about the idea.
agree thats fair..but I dont think the AFL would go for it, as it would compromise their "50 best players in the comp" publicity splash. Of course this is a crock as well..what if 40 of them are on-ballers?

Would the 26th best "Dream team" player get a gig if he was Victorian?..or vice versa. The rucks are a classic example. The "Dreamteam" could pick 6 ruckmen that would be bettter players than Jeff White..yet cos he's Victorian he'll be called one of the 50 best players in the AFL :shock:

"Two sides selected from the absolute cream of AFL talent" would have been a better slogan

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Winmarvellous
Club Player

From the Wa perspective, I'd love to see State of Origin returned to it's glory years (I got to see Derek Kickett and Nicky play FFS) but West Coast pretty much guaranteed that concepts failure. Perhaps if the AFL had taken such a strong stance back then, we wouldn't be talking about it. Nicky dominated for WA, and proved what he could do in a GOOD team.

However, I'm all for the idea, and as it was the VFL, not the WAFL or SANFL that got invaded by the interstate teams, I have no problem with the format. Graham Cornes seems to live in LaLa Land most of the time where SA is concerned, so take his crap with a pinch of salt. To say you wouldn't be honoured to be named as one of the best fifty players in the comp is either aggorance or stupidity (not sure which).

Let them play, and celebrate the game for what it is: a spectacle. Let's hope the coaches (as in All-Star games in the US) play in the spirit of the game, and don't set hard tags or flooding. Then it will flop. And deservedly so.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Winmarvellous wrote:From the Wa perspective, I'd love to see State of Origin returned to it's glory years (I got to see Derek Kickett and Nicky play FFS) but West Coast pretty much guaranteed that concepts failure. Perhaps if the AFL had taken such a strong stance back then, we wouldn't be talking about it. Nicky dominated for WA, and proved what he could do in a GOOD team.

However, I'm all for the idea, and as it was the VFL, not the WAFL or SANFL that got invaded by the interstate teams, I have no problem with the format. Graham Cornes seems to live in LaLa Land most of the time where SA is concerned, so take his crap with a pinch of salt. To say you wouldn't be honoured to be named as one of the best fifty players in the comp is either aggorance or stupidity (not sure which).

Let them play, and celebrate the game for what it is: a spectacle. Let's hope the coaches (as in All-Star games in the US) play in the spirit of the game, and don't set hard tags or flooding. Then it will flop. And deservedly so.
I reckon you'l see more hard tackling in a game of Texas Hold'em. The winners will need to kick 25 goals.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
noddy

Nobody in their right mind over here listens to G Cornes or his OLD offsider KG Cccccccunnnniiinnnggghaaammmm

bozza1980
Club Player

saint66au wrote:"Two sides selected from the absolute cream of AFL talent" would have been a better slogan
Saint66au your slogan is more accurate but "The best 50 players in the AFL" is a better slogan.

freeseptember
Club Player

Armooo - the recent announcements would be:
1) Saints new development at Frankston
2) Fraser back
3) new sponsorships