Waldron's Pick for No. 9

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Waldron's Pick for No. 9

Waldron has the Saints taking at number 9 either McEvoy or Dangerfield......but he thinks Dangerfield..

BigFooty Consolidated Draft Profiles

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick Dangerfield (BP, Centre) - 5 April 1990, 188cm 80kg. Vic Country/Geelong/Anglesea
"Weaver: Was on-fire early for Geelong in the backpocket where he beat all comers as a rampaging backpocket. Given the tough tagging tasks in the carnival so is perhaps under-exposed. Big-bodied centreman / onballers are rare and sought after and Dangerfield fits the profile. He is tough as teak and kicks the ball well. No Jordan Lewis (yet) but clubs after someone to fill that sort of ruck-rover role won't have too many options and Dangerfield will be close to the best of them.
"
"ant555: Patrick Dangerfield-188cm, 80kg-Geelong Falcons. Was played mainly as a tagger during the Champs and has played a bit of back pocket at times for Geelong. His is ok by foot and has a good build for a midfielder. Plays tough and doesn’t mind getting a hard ball.
"
"foj1: ""Rodney' is a bottom age tall midfielder/ defender with the athleticism that Essendon should be coveting. Recently participated in some fitness tests at VU as part of a group of players who missed testing at the start of the year.
He won the beep test and ran two sub 3 second 20 metres. Dangerfield is an AIS scholarship holder who toured South Africa and was a standout performer over there. His season starting off terrifically well playing mainly in the backline with occasional runs on the ball. His form has tapered but I put that down to fatigue- It has already been a long year!
Dangerfield can play both inside and outside of the contest, possesses good disposal and makes good decisions with the ball. He is also very good in the air which I like in my midfielders. He may begin his career a bit like Mark McVeigh and start in the backline but unlike McVeigh I expect him to quickly become a very good AFL onballer. I strongly considered Dangerfield with pick 20 and would be slightly surprised if he lasted this long come November.
"

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Nice of Brian to still take an interest in us.
Does the Melbourne Storm know that this is how he's spending his time?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:Nice of Brian to still take an interest in us.
Brian has remained very much a Saints man & "fan" since he ""left"'.....and always refers to the Saints or chats about them....

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I hope we Dangerfield.

"He's alright!"

58ter
Club Player

is he related to Dangerfield who played for us in the 1913 GF

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Here is another summary of Dangerfield..

PAT DANGERFIELD

November 21st, 2007
Pat Dangerfield – Geelong Falcons
Ht: 188 cm Wt: 80 kg

Junior position – Midfield/HBF

AFL position – Midfield/HBF

Tall midfielder who has grown a little this year and is just past the 190cm mark now. Has good pace and reads the play well. Has been used in defence on the wing and in the middle this year for the Falcons. His kicking was a bit hit and miss in some games. Is pretty handy at the clearances when used in the middle. Bottom aged kid who has plenty of upside. Was used in a tagging role in the under 18 champs.

Strengths: Pace, size, ability to perform a number of roles.
Weaknesses: Ordinary kicking in some games; hasn’t really racked up huge numbers in the TAC Cup on a regular basis.

Question marks: The obvious question mark is with his kicking. Can he get the decision making process sorted and eliminate the shoddy kicks

Draft Prediction: 20-40

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

B W and R all over wrote:Nice of Brian to still take an interest in us.
Does the Melbourne Storm know that this is how he's spending his time?
BW is a very good operator. Still refers to the saints as US !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

There is no way known that we would take another backpocket/ flanker with our first pick...
Baker, Attard, L.Fisher, S.Fisher, Gram, Goddard, Gwilt, Ferguson, Gilbert, X.Clarke, R.Clarke... All these players are capable of playing that role... then have a look at our Key Position Depth: Koschitzke, Riewoldt, Gehrig?, Hudghton, Maguire, King, Gardiner, Rix, Allen.... That is why Burg has us picking up talls.
A lot of people criticize out midfield but IMO that is just about good enough, I just don't think it is being used well enough...
Hayes, Ball, Dal Santo, Montagna, Gram, Fiora, Harvey, Birss, Blake, Schneider, Baker, L.Fisher, X.Clarke, Gilbert, Armitage etc. etc.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

he's like 20 days younger than me
s***
i wonder if i had a decent coach a couple years ago that would play me, if i could have got up there.... ahhh oh well

Too lazy to update my username
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Saints-06-Premiers wrote:he's like 20 days younger than me
s***
i wonder if i had a decent coach a couple years ago that would play me, if i could have got up there.... ahhh oh well
How weird is it seeing players that are so close o our age about to get drafted, it's a strange feeling...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:There is no way known that we would take another backpocket/ flanker with our first pick...
I think Waldron's sees him as actually a midfielder with a lot of pace and good skills....and so therefore meets the requirements of what we need.

ie as per foj1s comment:

He may begin his career a bit like Mark McVeigh and start in the backline but unlike McVeigh I expect him to quickly become a very good AFL onballer

Nasher

Armoooo wrote: How weird is it seeing players that are so close o our age about to get drafted, it's a strange feeling...
Hah, doesn't seem like long ago that I was saying that. Players my age are in their prime. Before we know it, kids, we'll all be old enough to be the parents of AFL players. Time flies.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I think Waldron's sees him as actually a midfielder with a lot of pace and good skills....and so therefore meets the requirements of what we need.
Not good skills. Elite endurance, good pace, poor kicking and erratic decision-making. Reminds me of a taller Clint Jones.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
[Not good skills. Elite endurance, good pace, poor kicking and erratic decision-making. Reminds me of a taller Clint Jones.
So have you seen him play then??

Some of the Bigfooty guys who have seen him play indicate that he has ok to good skills....with most rating him as good.

So I am interested that you say he has poor kicking and would be interested to know whether this is based on first hand observation or by reading other reports....and if so whose (as some Bigfooty posters I rate and some I do not)????

Also from Weaver:
11. Sydney - Patrick Dangerfield

Swans are all about stoppages and recruit blokes who go hard, put their head over the ball and are prepared to run through opponents. Dangerfield ticks those blue-collar boxes but is under-recognized for his footy smarts and genuine talent. A cameo of a season confined to the back-pocket and tagging roles couldn't disguise the promise he shows as a clearance monster and as a bloke who has the competitive streak to try and lift his side into winning positions when trailing. Might be a little too Jude Bolton for their tastes but he is certainly one who will be snagged early. I will never forget him taking the ball on the back of the square, clutching it to his chest, charging at and through two tackles, running 30m and kicking long. The best Falcon is normally very good … it is Dangerfield this year.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:So have you seen him play then??

Some of the Bigfooty guys who have seen him play indicate that he has ok to good skills....with most rating him as good.

So I am interested that you say he has poor kicking and would be interested to know whether this is based on first hand observation or by reading other reports....and if so whose (as some Bigfooty posters I rate and some I do not)????
I have seen bits and peices of the champs, but get most information from Bigfooty posters. The general consensus is that Dangerfield's use of the footy is the only reason why he wouldn't be a top 10 pick. Great athlete and good attitude, but unreliable disposal. He kicks long, but without much purpose.

If our recruiters decide that they think his hit-and-miss disposal is the result of an error in his kicking technique that can be fixed then I won't have a problem with us drafting him. But if they just decide that his athletic ability warrants early selection despite him always being a poor kick then I will not be happy.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

In a "mock" draft dangerfield was pick at pick #35 (round 3 selection)

http://www.aflinsider.net/afl-mock-draf ... ks-1-to-75

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:In a "mock" draft dangerfield was pick #35 (round 3 selection)

http://www.aflinsider.net/afl-mock-draf ... ks-1-to-75

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Saints-06-Premiers wrote:he's like 20 days younger than me
s***
How weird is it seeing players that are so close o our age about to get drafted, it's a strange feeling...
im the same age as Roo so i wonder if only i was taller slimer could run and was able to play footy ....... nah i would still be just talking bout footy not playing

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
stinger
Saintsational Legend

in last sunday's age ....emma quale had this to say about dangerfield who she ranked 8th best......

.....'dangerfield is a personal favorite...one of the most exciting players in the draft. ...he grabs the ball and bolts....his kicking needs work, but he's only 17 and could have another year in the tac cup had he so wanted........if you're looking for express midfield speed, he's probably the only top line onballer in this draft who has it...."

sounds good to me......may have even been a number one pick in next years draft......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:in last sunday's age ....emma quale had this to say about dangerfield who she ranked 8th best......

.....'dangerfield is a personal favorite...one of the most exciting players in the draft. ...he grabs the ball and bolts....his kicking needs work, but he's only 17 and could have another year in the tac cup had he so wanted........if you're looking for express midfield speed, he's probably the only top line onballer in this draft who has it...."

sounds good to me......may have even been a number one pick in next years draft......
Yes sounds good to me....and I greatly respect Waldron's judgement on things.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Pondering on things...and Waldron's observation that Dangerfield was a pick that would take time (he is young) he would seem to be a very good player who is young....but if he was in next years draft could be a much lower pick.

So who ever takes him will get a good player...but will have to wait longer to gain the benefit....

St Igmata
Club Player

stinger wrote:in last sunday's age ....emma quale had this to say about dangerfield who she ranked 8th best......

I wouldnt put my hard earnt on that comment.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Igmata wrote:

I wouldnt put my hard earnt on that comment.
no one asked you to, did they???? :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

good endurance...ok skills?

sounds like a tagger