Greg Hutchison confirmed as new Scorps coach

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

HarveysDeciple

Greg Hutchison confirmed as new Scorps coach

Now confirmed.
Last edited by HarveysDeciple on Wed 14 Nov 2007 11:35am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

:o

Very impressive if true.

Coached Dandenong in the TAC Cup in the early 90's, and then was caretaker at Melbourne in '97. Also an assistant and football operations manager at Richmond too and assistant at North.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
jezza
Club Player

Casey Scorp

That's what i have heard to,so your mail is spot on. I Think it is a St Kilda appointment which will mean hopefully all of our list will play seniors

iceman
Club Player

Re: Casey Scorp

jezza wrote:That's what i have heard to,so your mail is spot on. I Think it is a St Kilda appointment which will mean hopefully all of our list will play seniors
He will get some sort of development role with St. Kilda. But he is the CASEY SCORPIONS COACH first and foremost, and the Scorpions appointed someone with assistance from the saints to fit the full time aspect of the role.

No doubt being in a full time environment with the saints mean that he will form bonds with particular players spending time in the VFL, this will only help them reach their potential. But they will get NO easy rides and have to prove their worth to be in the VFL seniors just like everyone on the scorpions list. If a Phil Raymond, or a Brad Howard can't get a kick in the 2's why should they be playing ones?

RBnW
Club Player

iceman wrote:
jezza wrote:That's what i have heard to,so your mail is spot on. I Think it is a St Kilda appointment which will mean hopefully all of our list will play seniors
He will get some sort of development role with St. Kilda. But he is the CASEY SCORPIONS COACH first and foremost, and the Scorpions appointed someone with assistance from the saints to fit the full time aspect of the role.

No doubt being in a full time environment with the saints mean that he will form bonds with particular players spending time in the VFL, this will only help them reach their potential. But they will get NO easy rides and have to prove their worth to be in the VFL seniors just like everyone on the scorpions list. If a Phil Raymond, or a Brad Howard can't get a kick in the 2's why should they be playing ones?
Another great appointment to add to the others already in place, I don't care if he is a Casey or Club appointment he is another full time quality person at the club, if he is full time then he will have to spend his days with the Saints and his nights with Casey, all that adds up to one thing, a better understanding of our developing players, game plans, ability and attitude of our list.....all of which will result in a greater chance of Casey winning and our list developing faster......it's good work

Our best is yet
to come......
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Spot on RBnW.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
casey scorp
Club Player

RBnW wrote:.... he will have to spend his days with the Saints and his nights with Casey
Poor bloke; I wonder when he'll get any sleep.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote::o

Very impressive if true.

Coached Dandenong in the TAC Cup in the early 90's, and then was caretaker at Melbourne in '97. Also an assistant and football operations manager at Richmond too and assistant at North.
whats he done in the last 2-3 years re coaching?

jezza
Club Player

Casey Coach

Hey iceman you are dreaming if you think that the new coach is Casey Coach 1st and foremost.He will be at St Kilda through the day which will mean 1 thing he will become friendly with the Saints players and their coaching group.
I think that the VFL players will only be available at night so his time will be spent developing the AFL players.Casey might say he is their coach,but really deep down more Saints players will play in the VFL WHICH IS WHAT WE NEED. Banfield played to many Casey players and not enough Saints.Now we will get more of a go that this coach is working with Ross the Boss.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

If this appointment is correct, another quality recruit.

Well done to the new admin down at Moorabbin.

they are beginning to walk the walk.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote::o

Very impressive if true.

whats he done in the last 2-3 years re coaching?
Assistant under Laidley at North Melbourne.

iceman
Club Player

Re: Casey Coach

jezza wrote:Hey iceman you are dreaming if you think that the new coach is Casey Coach 1st and foremost.He will be at St Kilda through the day which will mean 1 thing he will become friendly with the Saints players and their coaching group.
I think that the VFL players will only be available at night so his time will be spent developing the AFL players.Casey might say he is their coach,but really deep down more Saints players will play in the VFL WHICH IS WHAT WE NEED. Banfield played to many Casey players and not enough Saints.Now we will get more of a go that this coach is working with Ross the Boss.
I don't think you understand The Casey/St. Kilda alignment then. As I had already stated, with him being in a full time environment with the saints, no doubt he will form bonds with the saints players. Learn more about them etc. etc. but if you think that players who are struggling to find the footy in the 1's are going to stay there and be 'developed' I think you are dreaming. But having said that, usually there are only a select few who can't find the footy in our 1's. Most of whom get delisted after a couple of seasons anyway, or blokes coming back from injury and only playing limited game time in the 2's.

And I also don't understand you statement Re. Banfield. Most weeks he had bugger all St. Kilda players to choose from anyway! Did you notice that our end of season form revival ran parallel to St. Kildas lack of injuries? and all of a sudden we had more blokes playing in the 1's?

Trust me mate, the Scoprions are there to win games, and if they do it with plenty of St.Kilda blokes in the team, then good on em, shows the saints guys are playing some decent footy. If they're not then to be honest as a St. Kilda supporter i'd rather them get a full game in the 2's where they can get their hands on the ball, rather then half a game in the 1's where they gut pushed off the ball and struggle with the pace of the game. When they are ready I obviously want to see them playing in the 1's.

Hutchison is a good appointment, and will do plenty of good things for the Saints and the Scorps. But don't expect easy rides for blokes who struggle.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

sounds like good news.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

jezza
Club Player

Casey

Tell me iceman,what is a good appointment.Look all i am saying at the present with the amount of players that have left the scorps the saints boys will get some good chances to play VFL 1sts. Hutchy may be good but i think he will have a lot of work to do given that Harrison,Makepeace and Carmody have all left. 1 and 2 in the B&F is not what you want when you take over a club.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Good news for the Saints......

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Does anybody have a bit more info on his experience?
Anybody got enough knowledge about him to knock up a bit of a timeline?
What's his playing experience? Any regional or significant country comp. experience. Businessman? Always involved in sports in some capacity? How old is he?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Never heard of him but it would seem that he comes with quite an impressive CV, time will tell if he was the right man for the job but at the moment you can't argue that it was a good move by the board.
Things seem to be on the up and up around the club atm :D

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
yipper
SS Life Member

Played AFL footy for Melbourne?? Certainly coached the Dees at some time in the 90's.Been at Richmond, Just come off a role as asst coach at the Kangas. Has coached in the TAC previously too I think.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

All I remember of him was caretaker coach of Melbourne when Balme was given the boot in '97. Didn't do too bad from what I recall with a really poor Demons team.

Hope he does a good job.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:Does anybody have a bit more info on his experience?
What's his playing experience? Any regional or significant country comp. experience. Businessman? Always involved in sports in some capacity? How old is he?
Greg Hutchinson played 96 games for Melbourne from 1975 to 1984.

He coached Dandenong in the U19's TAC Cup from 1993 to 1995 (coached Aussie Jones before he was drafted actually).

He was then appointed as an assistant at Melbourne in 1996. Mid-way through 1997 when Neil Balme resigned as senior coach, Hutchinson took the reigns as caretaker for the remainder of the year. He missed the top job to Neil Daniher, but remained an assistant at the club.

Was seriously touted as a candidate for the Saints job in 1999 that Timmid eventually got.

Shifted to Richmond to become an assistant under Danny Frawley, and was then Football Operations Manager in 2003 and 2004.

Has been an assistant coach in charge of the midfield under Dean Laidley since 2005.

F_Q_F
Club Player

He probably didn't want to move to the Gold Coast :P

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:
st.byron wrote:Does anybody have a bit more info on his experience?
Greg Hutchinson played 96 games for Melbourne from 1975 to 1984.

He coached Dandenong in the U19's TAC Cup from 1993 to 1995 (coached Aussie Jones before he was drafted actually).

He was then appointed as an assistant at Melbourne in 1996. Mid-way through 1997 when Neil Balme resigned as senior coach, Hutchinson took the reigns as caretaker for the remainder of the year. He missed the top job to Neil Daniher, but remained an assistant at the club.

Was seriously touted as a candidate for the Saints job in 1999 that Timmid eventually got.

Shifted to Richmond to become an assistant under Danny Frawley, and was then Football Operations Manager in 2003 and 2004.

Has been an assistant coach in charge of the midfield under Dean Laidley since 2005.

thanks OWTS, excellent summation. Looks like a very good pick-up. High level experience in the coaching box and in an administrative/management role. Bodes well for the relationship between the Saints and Scorps.

casey scorp
Club Player

O Ye of (previously) little faith!

Well, (some) posters proclaimed:

* the Scorps were a rabble
* couldn't get a coach
* administative basketcase
* etc.

I now hear the sounds of universal suupport for a good get.

I'd much rather take time, and get a good coach, than panic when another prospect took another option and just grab what next came along.

Good work by the Scorps (obviously working closely with the Saints).
Great result.

jezza
Club Player

Casey Scorp

You seem pretty smug Casey with the appointment,but what about your playing list.You need to have decent VFL players to go any where come finals time.I hope you have enough money to find a Captain of your side.Is it only a 1 year appointment,not much security in that.Is it true Casey that Biagi is going to Frankston?